After all this recruiting talk, I am EXTREMELY excited about September

gsu_paintballer

Dodd-Like
Yea. I am.

I don't know if I can wait. Maybe I can go into a medically induced coma so I don't feel the wait.

they just started making it in the u.s. it has wormwood and all.

my buddy picked up a bottle in california. $200 bucks and was on a waiting list for 6 months. brought it here for new years. didn't want to take it back for whatever reason so....it's above my fridge.

look up st. george brandy with herbs

you can order it online from Czech Republik too

I have a friend that orders it from there. It is excellent, but I have heard horror stories about absinth from there (lead in water and other stuff), but I have also heard that is where you should get it. Bout 50 bucks a bottle.

I thought about starting a new thread on this, but I will just post here.

What is everyone's preferred method to drink the stuff? I have only done the sugar in the spoon lit. Then once it burns out, you stir it into your shot. Don't know too many ways to drink it.

Are you guys kidding me? I thought this stuff was poison? I have a 2/3rds a bottle of wine a night habit. This thread has peaked my interest.

I thought about starting a new thread on this, but I will just post here.

What is everyone's preferred method to drink the stuff? I have only done the sugar in the spoon lit. Then once it burns out, you stir it into your shot. Don't know too many ways to drink it.
Noooooo!

Put the shot of absinthe in a larger glass (about high ball size, but narrower). Slowly pour in ice water (not the ice, just the water) while stirring gently until you have filled the glass about 1/2 to 2/3.

The Thirsty Traveler has an episode about it on Fine Living. I saw it quite some time back, but it aired again last weekend. So, it will be a few months before it shows again.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/thirsty_traveler/0,1663,FINE_10176,00.html

The only way I know of to drink it is with the sugar. Not sure about burning it though. I always just poured the absinthe over a cube of sugar and then enjoyed.

The only way I know of to drink it is with the sugar. Not sure about burning it though. I always just poured the absinthe over a cube of sugar and then enjoyed.

I was told it was the "traditional" to drink it. Have no idea if it enhances the flavor or effects. I am going to have to order again.

The Thirsty Traveler has an episode about it on Fine Living. I saw it quite some time back, but it aired again last weekend. So, it will be a few months before it shows again.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/thirsty_traveler/0,1663,FINE_10176,00.html

Never heard of that show. Will have to check it out. There is a show called "Three Sheets" which appears on the mojo channel that also visted an absinthe bar and went over multilpe ways of drinking it. Here is the episode guide, and looks to be appearing next in early feb...

http://www.mojohd.com/mojoseries/threesheets/episodes/view/czech_republic

They have Absinth at the greens on Buford Hwy!

What a coincidence! Went in there today to get my handle of crown (38 bucks! best deal around) and there was a sign outside: "Absinth now legal in the U.S. for the 1st time in 100 years"

Had a brand name underneath it but didn't have time to check it out so....to answer your question on where to find it---Greens on Buford Hwy!!!!

and as far as drinking methods....the sugar cube and lighting it on fire got my buddy so torn up that i was hesitant to try it. they have absinthe spoons specifically made for this purpose.

when he did it he burnt the sugar then poured the absinthe over the spoon which lit up then jumped to the bottle. blew it out. did the shot and then went-----OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! the look on his face is what scared me.

Sweet.

If Greens has got it, Minks probably does in Marietta, ya think?

They have Absinth at the greens on Buford Hwy!

What a coincidence! Went in there today to get my handle of crown (38 bucks! best deal around) and there was a sign outside: "Absinth now legal in the U.S. for the 1st time in 100 years"

Had a brand name underneath it but didn't have time to check it out so....to answer your question on where to find it---Greens on Buford Hwy!!!!

and as far as drinking methods....the sugar cube and lighting it on fire got my buddy so torn up that i was hesitant to try it. they have absinthe spoons specifically made for this purpose.

when he did it he burnt the sugar then poured the absinthe over the spoon which lit up then jumped to the bottle. blew it out. did the shot and then went-----OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! the look on his face is what scared me.

I basically poured my shot in a tumbler. I then dip a spoon in the liquid and sprinkle sugar on. Then light until it goes out. Then stir into the shot and shoot. I was told to exhale the whole time to get more flavor and less alcohol taste. I was lit up as well. Little heavy the next day from the sugar I think. I have heard of mixed drinks you can do, but am still trying to find some recipes.

Is real Absinthe available in the U.S.

From what I understand, ours is made from Southern Wormwood instead of the traditional Grande Wormwood and the FDA test the product to insure that it is Thujone free.

I had some one time that a friend on mine managed to bring home from Amsterdam. The stuff tasted a little bit like Jagermeister to me...No hallucinations though.

This thread makes me go :dunno:.

I seriously have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Are all of u dudes dopers?:p

Back