AJ Gray article, pretty good look

“You see guys all over the state de-committing. It’s kind of like the sexy thing to do. He’s pretty much locked in with Georgia Tech. People say all the time ‘Do you think somebody can come in and steal him?’ No, I don’t think anybody will at all. Mike Sewak has done a great job recruiting him, and he has great relationship with Joe Speed, the secondary coach.”

5 star if committed to UGA. I want him at QB. Redshirt next year and be the back-up when JT is a Senior. We need talent at QB more than CB

It's nice seeing guys who stay committed. Recruiting is just too crazy.

So the article says he is projected to be a DB. Is that what we recruited him for or QB?

Doesn't seem to have JT class speed, but then again, who does?

5 star if committed to UGA. I want him at QB. Redshirt next year and be the back-up when JT is a Senior. We need talent at QB more than CB

He projects as a Safety, which is what we recruited him as. We'll already have Campbell starting out at QB from the '15 class.

We seem to have luck with QB/DB guys who are all-state. Jamal was one from Alabama, as was JT. If we can retain this guy, it maintains the trend.

I hope our coaching staff will let him have a shot at whatever position he wants. Great athlete, and we've proven good athletes--especially QBs--can find a position where they are successful on our team.

Few pick 6s playing defense this year. Bunch of touchdowns on offense. Really good player.

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/three-pillar-candidate-a-j-gray-keeps-adding-to-his-resume

Each season, Gatorade recognizes one student-athlete from each of the 50 states and Washington, D.C. who embodies its Player of the Year program’s three pillars: athletic production, academic achievement and exemplary character.

Each week during its Gatorade State Player of the Year selection process, USA TODAY surfaces one candidate who meets those criteria and deserves recognition as a serious Gatorade State Player of the Year contender.

Name: A.J. Gray
School: Washington County (Sandersville, Ga.)
Sport: Football
Class: Senior

Athletic Production: Gray is considered one of Georgia’s best prep quarterback prospects, will most likely play safety at Georgia Tech and added a Second Team All-State honor in basketball to his resume this past winter. And he still may not be the best athlete in his own family.

That honor probably still belongs to his sister Allisha Gray, the 2011-12 Gatorade Georgia Girls Basketball Player of the Year. She averaged 13.9 points and 5.5 rebounds as a freshman during North Carolina’s run to the Elite Eight in March. Still, A.J. isn’t far behind his big sister.

Midway through his senior season, Washington County’s 6-foot-1, 195-pound quarterback is already approaching 1,000 yards both passing and rushing. During the Golden Hawks’ 6-0 start, Gray completed 40 of 67 passes (60 percent) for 893 yards and nine touchdowns while rushing for another 789 yards and 14 scores on 83 carries.

Not bad, considering quarterback isn’t even his best position. In the defensive backfield, Gray has also collected 24 tackles and returned two of his three interceptions for touchdowns through six games.

As a junior, Gray led Washington County’s football and basketball programs to the Class AAA state final and quarterfinals, respectively. His sister led the Golden Hawks to the 2011 state title on the court, so there are a couple trophies in the Gray household he’d like to replicate.

Academic Achievement: Gray has maintained an A average.

Exemplary Character: Somewhat of a celebrity in small-town Sandersville, Gray has donated his time generously to the area youth that admire his accomplishments on and off the field. In addition to serving as an instructor at football and basketball camps, he has volunteered as a member of his school’s student council, at a charitable road race and on behalf of Rotary Club International.

Wow... We sure stepped in it with this kid. Only thing missing there on his resume is feeding homeless veteran orphans on his lunch break...

Glad that we seek out kids with this kind of character.

This. There is a lot of griping about our recruiting. But this is an instance where we went out, found a guy who fits our criteria, and were on him before any other school.

This. There is a lot of griping about our recruiting. But this is an instance where we went out, found a guy who fits our criteria, and were on him before any other school.

Not sure what changed but it seems like our recruiting has kicked it up a notch. Like what I'm seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what changed but it seems like our recruiting has kicked it up a notch. Like what I'm seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubled the staff and budget of the recruiting department...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From http://ghsfdaily.com/

*Best player: Washington County quarterback A.J. Gray, who has more than 1,000 yards rushing and passing, plus four interception returns on defense, is the leading candidate for all-class player of the year, but it's usually an award that is won or lost in the playoffs. The race is wide open.

Back