AJ Gray

I am one that doesn't really care about the stars. We've done pretty well with "Mr. Football" from states in the past. I can only name a few off the top of my head, but I know we've gotten them in the past and they've all been pretty good. I think there was a point a couple years ago where we have two from different states on the field at the same time.

If he'd good enough to get snaps next year then play him. Our secondary is loaded - but it's loaded with seniors. Might be nice to have Gray with some PT under his belt before tossing him into the fire.

If he'd good enough to get snaps next year then play him. Our secondary is loaded - but it's loaded with seniors. Might be nice to have Gray with some PT under his belt before tossing him into the fire.

Yep.

Redshirting is overrated (unless they need more time to develop physically). If they're capable of contributing, get 'em on the field.

Redshirting is overrated (unless they need more time to develop physically). If they're capable of contributing, get 'em on the field.

I don't think it's overrated for QBs and OL. Those are positions that benefit the most from extra time to learn and grow IMHO. On defense I don't think it matters as much. In an ideal world every player would RS. But just not realistic in this age of attrition and coaches selling early PT to get recruits.

why didn't Gray have more offers? I mean, if he is really the diamond in the rough that we seem to think, then it wasn't just the recruiting services that missed on him... It is not like he snubbed a lot of SEC offers. "He would have been a 4/5 * recruit if he signed with an SEC school." Well, for him to sign with an SEC school, he would have had to received an offer from one.

For the record, I'm not crapping on him. I still think he will be a good player for us and his film is great.

if he had been white he probably would have been a 5* QB! we all know that black guys get underrated at QB, amirite?
also, if he had been from Savannah he prolly woulda been a 6*

why didn't Gray have more offers? I mean, if he is really the diamond in the rough that we seem to think, then it wasn't just the recruiting services that missed on him... It is not like he snubbed a lot of SEC offers. "He would have been a 4/5 * recruit if he signed with an SEC school." Well, for him to sign with an SEC school, he would have had to received an offer from one.

For the record, I'm not crapping on him. I still think he will be a good player for us and his film is great.

Not sure we know who all offered him. He committed to us early and (to the best of my knowledge) never really waivered. Hard to tell who offered him after that.

I would LOVE for him to start by middle of season--we need it for '17 and he could be 4 yr starter, prob All-conf at least

I wonder if he gets a shot at QB here? We've seen what a super athlete at QB does for this offense!

He doesn't have exceptional speed or change of direction, to play devil's advocate. Long strider. I do think he would've been 4* with SEC offers, but I can sort of see why he didn't get them. He impresses but does not dazzle. Compare with Nick Marshall HS highlights for instance (who also played both ways)

I could see him becoming a great QB for us though. Either that or a great DB

He doesn't have exceptional speed or change of direction, to play devil's advocate. Long strider. I do think he would've been 4* with SEC offers, but I can sort of see why he didn't get them. He impresses but does not dazzle. Compare with Nick Marshall HS highlights for instance (who also played both ways)

I could see him becoming a great QB for us though. Either that or a great DB

I'd take nick marshal

I'd take nick marshal

Right. I meant to say "contrast" with Nick Marshall, not "compare". Point was there are more spectacular HS QBs out there than AJ Gray, so him having less stars is not unjustified

You guys are watching his junior film. He never made a senior highlight film because he was already committed.

Right. I meant to say "contrast" with Nick Marshall, not "compare". Point was there are more spectacular HS QBs out there than AJ Gray, so him having less stars is not unjustified

Back