AJ Suggs - A Classy Young Man

That's why he likes to spend a lot of time drinking at the Beer Mug or MoonDogs - even after he loses.

And that's why when the coach summons him to the sidelines for instructions he stands at the hash marks and attempts to have a conversation. He only goes to the sideline to his coach when the coach frantically waves him to come over - and then he walks over.

There is a limited amount of time in a time out - I cannot believe someone would not just hustle all the way over to the coach and listen to what he has to say rather than standing on the hash marks trying to communicate.

Goldbuzz, in regard to you questioning AJ's lack of hustle to and from the sideline I can only offer this, it seems that this team has had more delay of game penalties than any I can remember. Also I think it is a fair assumption that AJ needs more time to survey the defense than Godsey or Joe needed. So if he choses to spend more time at the line of scrimmage, I suppose he would have to get the play call as quick as possible, which means not being able to go completely to the sideline.

I can't say for sure, this is only my speculation.

Regardless, I believe your attack on AJ's lack of hustle was cheaply made and outside of the spirit of the original post which simply praised his determination and poise after what can be fairly described as a disappointing season.

Last week I was able to watch ESPN Classic re-run of the '95 Uga game, which was Donnie Davis' last game. During the game I slowly began to have a greater appreciation for AJ. It is hard for us to remember the quality of QB's we had here before Godsey and Joe. Watching that game from '95 reminded me of how special and (honestly) unique the Hamilton/Godsey era was. We were extremely fortunate to have them play for Tech. And the tough reality is it might be quite a while before we have a QB with such talent for the game. I suppose the jury is still out regarding Bilbo. Until then, I think credit should be given where it is deserved. And the original post of this message did exactly that.

Sorry for rambling, but I felt compelled to reply.

GTF11, I'm curious about your avatar;did you spend some time at Little Creek VA or San Diego CA or are you just a wanna be?

De Oppresso Liber

drinking.gif

Jescho, you could say he was trying to save time by not going all the way over to the sideline. But when Gailey finally convinced (and it took some convincing) him to come over to the sideline, he then walked nonchalantly over.

That means to me his motive at standing at the hash mark was something other than trying to save time.

I don't understand. If the coach wants to talk with you, why don't you hustle over as quick as possible so you can confer and then get back on the field and get the ball snapped before the play clock expires.

It was as if he didn't think he needed to go all the way to the sideline to confer so he wasn't - despite the fact that his coach thought differently.

Why don't we speculate about which hand AJ holds his johnson with when he pisses? We know about as much about that as we do about why he stands where he stands when talking to his coach.

I would like to commend A.J. Suggs for being one of the classiest young men I have ever seen. He had a tough year with some high points and some low points. He came out every game and did exactly what the coaches told him to do. If he was not having a good game he held his head up and kept trying regardless of what was going on around him.

It had to be tough going out on the field when the fans were booing. I don’t believe they were booing Suggs. They were booing the coaches. It didn’t seem to matter to him whom the fans were angry with; he simply went about his job with complete professionalism. He held his composure no matter what and tried his best.

Thanks A.J. for being a true Yellow Jacket no matter what the circumstances were. You deserve a lot more than you have received.

Bellys, I think there is a distinct difference. I think the guy ought to hustle on over to his coach when the coach calls him.

I feel bad for AJ. He is a very nice young man. There is NOTHING wrong with not having the leadership skills required to lead a D1 school into battle. I hope he earns a degree from Tech that will give him a shot at a great career. Good Luck, AJ. !!

Whether aj hustles or not he will never be a good or for that even average college qb. He probably is a very nice person.

I think he's a fine quarterback. Unfortunately, he has been the victim of poor coaching.

If Friedgen were still here, he would probably be a Heisman trophy candidate.

I don't know whether he is a nice guy or not but I do know that his nonchalance bothers me and I suspect that he is cheating himself as well as Georgia Tech.

AJ has a lack of athletic ability to compete successfully in division 1.

Originally posted by goldbuzz:

If Friedgen were still here, he would probably be a Heisman trophy candidate.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hope you are kidding. You can't really be suggesting that Suggs has the same talent level as Palmer and Leftwich. He was (is) an average talent at best and no amount of coaching was going to overcome that. AJ's problems lie in his arm strength and decision making ability. Coaching may help with his decisions but his arm was woefully weak. And I am sure he is a good kid.

I think he has more natural talent than Godsey. We need to get him a better coach and when the coach tells him to do something - he needs to do it.

Ditto, after watching the 2000 fsu/Tech fball replay last night, Goose looked very sharp compared to AJ.

Sometimes it appears that he has a weak arm but that is because our coaches have allowed his form and technique to get sloppy.

When his form is good he can really zip it - plus his height is an advantage.

If I had to pick between Godsey and Suggs on day 1 with Friedgen as the offensive coordinator - I would pick Suggs.

Godsey was a good qurterback, but he suffered greatly when Friedgen left because his throwing sometimes got out of form.

As I recall, Goose's reaction to Friedgen leaving was approximately, "Don't let the door hit you in the butt." Goose played on a bum leg last year; I would guess that had more to do with his slight decline in performance than Friedgen's absence.

Coaches are very important, but they are not magicians. They perhaps can get the best out of a player by teaching and motivating, but they can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Plenty of hotshot high school QBs don't make it in college, regardless of coaching.

Back