AJ Suggs - A Classy Young Man

Bellyseries, I would agree on one point, Godseys injury did have some effect on his performance.

I will offer the opinion, it was a combination of the injury, Friegden's ability with a quarterback, and Friegden's selection of plays.

wink.gif

I'm still amazed at the throws Godsey made at times,(see Clemson victory there).AJ has made very few of those throws.Great timing and accuracy not arm srength were keys.Friedgen coaching helped a lot also.We don't have any of that now.
But AJ I'm sure is fine young man that just doesn't happen to be a good Div 1 QB at this time.Of course neither are you OR I.

I almost regret the posting of this. The intention was not to compare Suggs to other QBs. It is to simply say that in spite of questionable play calling, personnel selection and fans booing, he managed to hold his head high and try to run the offense. I am not commenting on his athletic ability or his football sense. Only that he managed to keep going out on the field regardless of what was going on around him. I believe it is a shame when a college player gets booed by the fans especially his on. Boo the overpaid coaches all you want but not the players.

Gmc, I honestly never booed aj, but was most ineffective at running the offense.

As I recall, Suggs was the #1 QB in the state his senior year at McEachern High. May have been the #1 player in the state overall. The kid does have some talent that may not have been developed at Tennessee or here at Tech. Godsey did not have a superior arm but he always amazed me by getting the ball to his reciever "just in time". I believe the Fridge got everything physically and mentally out of him. They ware a great combination whether or not they had each other on their Christmas Lists.

The decline I saw in Godsey was his throwing motion in the Peach Bowl before the injury and the following year. He was Friedgenless in all those instances.

Yep, Godsey did indicate that he wouldn't miss Friedgen barking at him. O'Leary said we wouldn't miss Friedgen and even O'Leary thought Friedgen's barking crossed the line, and even you said we wouldn't miss Friedgen. Everyone thought they could get along just fine without him.

Guess what - to the man, including Godsey and O'Leary, I bet they all would say that indeed we did miss Ralph Friedgen.

As far as his ability to develop quarterbacks. His record has been amazing ever since he was the quarterback coach at Maryland. You know, the so called arm strength is not really arm strength, but technique: the snapping of the ball from behind the head and the shift in weight.

I sincerely believe that if you had any athletic ability at all and you worked with Friedgen an extended period of time Friedgen might have a shot at making even you a quarterback. I think he's that good and I think his record shows it.

Suggs has all the tools, that's why Tennessee signed him and started him ahead of four other highly sought after quarterbacks and why we signed him and started him ahead of highly ranked talent. He just hasn't had the coaching here to fully develop.

I don't think Tennessee offered a schlarship to Godsey and I think Suggs was a higher ranked quarterback out of high school than Godsey.

So I don't think I am the only one who thinks Suggs had more raw talent heading into his college career than Godsey.

It seems that this thread has turned into more of a comparison of Godsey and Suggs...

I am sure Suggs is a great guy... but there are alot of great guys that should not be a QB at Tech...

In my opinion, Godsey had/has a competitive desire and leadership quality that Suggs just doesnt seem to have... Godsey made up for his lack of athlethic ability with leadership and hustle ... some guys who lack the leadership skills make up for it thru athletic talent... Suggs displayed neither this year... Suggs played average ball, didnt display leadership from his position, and just seemed to be punching a clock at times... just my opinion.

Well actually, Jacketguy, that was my original point: Suggs' nonchalance.

I don't know if Suggs really is nonchalant or if there was a lack of chemistry between him and the coaches, or if the coaches failed to inspire him.
In any event - I think Friedgen would have gotten him on the right track and inspired him.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter and I admit I could be all wrong about it. I have other matters to which I need to tend.

Originally posted by goldbuzz:
Well actually, Jacketguy, that was my original point: Suggs' nonchalance.

I don't know if Sugg's really is nonchalant or if there was a lack of chemistry between him and the coaches, or if the coaches failed to inspire him.
In any event - I think Friedgen would have gotten him on the right track and inspired him.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter and I admit I could be all wrong about it. I have matters to which I need to tend.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with you... and I dont know either if its a coaching matter or just part of Suggs personality... either way, I didnt like it ... man I miss Little Joe and Godsey !!

AJ will go down in TECH history as the one that got away. He's not being coached. He's being allowed to operate as the "VP of 1st Team QB" and he's nowhere near that good. He may have started a couple of games for U freakin T at one time but he's still a kid. He needs a coach on his tail moment by moment. That's AJ's biggest problem. He's got potential but nobody's doing anything about it.

As far as Godsey is concerned, somebody taught that boy something because he was the scariest back-up to JH or any other GT QB I've ever seen. I use to pray that nothing would happen to Joe because anytime Godsey got the ball he played like my baby Sister. Stumble, fall down, throw an int, look pertrified, etc.

Back