AJ SUGGS

romegajacket

Helluva Engineer
Was watching a UT vs USC game on tv over the weekend from year 2000. AJ Suggs appeared to me to play a very solid and sound game with not a lot to complain about. After reading the AJC this morning I see that he is beginning to shine on the practice field again. Looks like we may be in for some better QB choices than we thought and, I have to admire Chan Gailey for whatever he is doing to bring out the best in these guys as it appears that he is doing. Could be that he has an eye for players similar to how Bobby Dodd did. Hope so anyway.
Sting'em Jackets

I for one will be disappointed to see anyone other than Reggie Ball start the season for us. If Bilbo is going to another position, then I hope the coaches choice for QB will be in one of the freshman. That is about the nicest thing I can say.

5yr senior...1/2 season as starter for UT...full season as starter for Tech...

No results yet (except in practice)

Suggs should be a solid backup...Pat Carter has the body and decent speed to be an effective wr..His older brother is a WR in the Nfl...Although im not saying he will be out of the qb picture anytime soon.. I love the fact Gailey is recruiting athletes at QB..Meaning if they dont work out at QB they can successfully switch to a new position..Example: Hines Ward or Dawan Landry...

What i mean by Hines Ward (I know Gailey didnt coach him ) is that he is an example of what an ex-Qb can do when switched to another skilled position..There are numerous examples of the successful transition...

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
I for one will be disappointed to see anyone other than Reggie Ball start the season for us. If Bilbo is going to another position, then I hope the coaches choice for QB will be in one of the freshman. That is about the nicest thing I can say.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">----------------------------------------

I agree....We have alltready established that Suggs is a good practice player...Whats new there ?

I would love to see AJ come in late in the 4th during some game this year and lead a drive for the game winning TD! He will be a great backup and he has handled himself with class and I hope something good happens for the guy.

rome, I watched a couple of those UT replays too, and AJ was same old same old...both physically and mentally slow vs. speed of game around him. He did however hand-off to UT's stable of RB's flawlessly. He may surprise us this year though, as it wouldn't be the first time a R-Sr. finally has the light come on. My concern is still one of lack of speed in decision making. His taking the snap and clearly looking directly at fsu's cornerback at our goal line last year and then throwing the ball straight to him is a hard vision to lose. THWG

Wholeheartedly concur on AJ being a practice player, but a player who struggles on Saturdays. My stomach sank when I read the article on www.ajc.com last night about Suggs moving up the depth chart. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, CHAN! Just say no!

I dont think we have ANYTHING to worry about..Suggs will be a good steady backup (Of course really he instantly becomes better by Chan simplifing the playbook) It will be Ball or Carter UNLESS they are injured or Carter just cant develop....

GoldZ, agree completely. When you watch film of last year's games even on completed passes AJ was normally a count too slow delivering the ball. IMO that's one reason we got so little yardage after the catch last year. The WRs had to wait on the ball and couldn't take it in stride and make a move on the DB.

It's a paradox, AJ often made good reads, he just made them slowly. Bilbo was quicker but ofter wrong. Maybe Ball is the happy medium.

Originally posted by texstinger:
I would love to see AJ come in late in the 4th during some game this year and lead a drive for the game winning TD!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just like he did in that Clemson game?

Originally posted by ccujacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by texstinger:
I would love to see AJ come in late in the 4th during some game this year and lead a drive for the game winning TD!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just like he did in that Clemson game?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">better yet like he did in the NCState game
wink.gif

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here's a different slant......I agree with you. Let's see AJ continue to help our program by offering support and being a solid back-up.There's a lot to be said for someone serving in this capacity and salute him for for how he has handled this "transistion". Surely it's Ball who gets a chance to shine. Surely that's what is about to happen.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Me too Driver. If all else fails, we at least know what we get from AJ. I hope Ball gets the first shot tos how us what he can do. It will be rough at times with a freshman, but if the line gives him some time it could be exciting.

ccujacket, do not understand taking a shot at a specific player like that? Were you one of the ones disappointed when he transferred from UT? Did not think so because nobody was. I just hope something good happens for the kid, maybe you do not.

I believe it was Bobby Ross who first said that you must have an athletic QB to win at Tech. Ball fits that description very well, A.J. does not. I hope Chan will stick to what he said coming into fall practice about Bilbo being in the lead unless a freshman beats him out. I admire A.J.'s class, but would hate to see him subjected to abuse by our boo birds again.

Now that Bilbo is out of the picture, which I totally disagree with, Gailey should start Suggs and redshirt Ball for the long term prospects of the program. Suggs is adequate and a nice guy. He will not make the phenomanal play but should be steady. I doubt you will see some of the mistakes of last year. The offense has been simplified and he has no pressure to make the big play with no big play makers to press him like DB did last year.

Long term prospects? So your plan is to give up on this year? If Suggs is the best QB he should play. Otherwise he should not. It's really that simple to me. Last year he was IMO. This year it appears not.

Originally posted by texstinger:
ccujacket, do not understand taking a shot at a specific player like that? Were you one of the ones disappointed when he transferred from UT? Did not think so because nobody was. I just hope something good happens for the kid, maybe you do not.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually I was thrilled when he transferred from UT because I was attending UT at that time. I just cringe at the thought of watching him running this team again.

Back