AJC Article about Calvin's lack of catches

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
Did anyone else see this article in the AJC?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/0725tech.html

"Regardless of how stupid people think I am, I do realize he's one of the best players in the nation and we should be getting him the ball," Gailey said.

I don't really care to see comments like that from our head coach. Is this just a case of some reporters going overboard and asking the same question too many time, so he got frustrated? Or do you feel like it's something else?

I think frustration has a lot to do with it. Like he said, anyone knows that CJ needs the ball more.
In the full article what I got was a bitterness about our qb not being able to read defenses or handle the speed of the game.

I was actually happy to see CG show some ire.

I don't know. Maybe he was addressing stupid people! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Sounds to me like he is placing the blame 100% on Reggie, which is ultimately Chan's fault.

He sounds like he is whining to me. How do the Dwayne Jarrett's of the world get the ball so much? Is the game slower at USC? Does he not see double teams? The point is all coaches have to deal with the problems he is bitching about...Chan's problem is that he has failed to produce/develop a QB that can read the defenses, make split second decisions, FIND THE TALLEST MAN ON THE FIELD and then deliver an accurate pass.

MaconGTfan said:
Chan's problem is that he has failed to produce/develop a QB that can read the defenses, make split second decisions, FIND THE TALLEST MAN ON THE FIELD and then deliver an accurate pass.
Can't be said any more accurately than that. I don't think anyone thinks CCG is stoopid but "this problem" is getting difficulter and difficulter to explain.

00Burdell said:
Can't be said any more accurately than that. I don't think anyone thinks CCG is stoopid but "this problem" is getting difficulter and difficulter to explain.
I don't know, I think it is VERY easy to explain. There are some obvious reasons why we haven't been able to get the ball to Calvin more often and all of them are, ultimately, the responsibility of the coaches.

But responsibility and blame aren't always the same thing. If the problem is that we need to call more plays where Calvin is supposed to get the ball and he gets open and the ball doesn't get delivered then that's not the coach's fault. It is his responsibility to make sure that the players are capable of executing the plays called and if they can't then it is his responsibility to get ones who can. So either way there it is his responsibility, but if he is calling the plays and they aren't getting executed I would say he isn't the only one to blame.

As for CCG sounding like he's whining... no way. If you you can't see that GT fans have openly called him stupid and worse and that columns have ripped him and that he has been noted by one sports site as being one of the five worst coaches in the NCAA (this despite beating Miami, Auburn, and others while taking teams to bowls - albeit minor ones - every year of his tenure) then I'm also wasting my time typing this. Chan isn't whining about being called names or that we can't get the ball to Calvin. He's making a statement that he understands full well that we need to get the ball into the young man's hands. Simple as that.

I don't disagree with you MaconGT. Many have said over the last two years that qbs like Reggie can turn into coach killers.

Because of rarely being able to make it to open practices I am setting myself up for a public caning on this, but I imagine that RB has looked very good on a practice field during summer workouts and is handed the job. Of course, practice and games are entirely different.
Once the season starts it is extremely difficult to get the next guy ready. Not enough time for one.
If this happens to be the case, CG and Co. take all the fire for not being able to identify sign and develop a consistent gamer.

I liked the article and the quote.

If you read between the lines you can see that he is putting it squarely on Reggie Balls shoulders to get CJ the ball.

I think Reggie is the best QB we have. When you look at the Miami win Reggie was able to salt the game away at the end by being mobile.

Reggie's passing is NOT going to blow you away, but he is tough enough to take a beating in the pocket and that is what GT has required the last few years. The line will be much better and Reggie should have more time to choose the correct target but I like the fact Reggie can tuck it and run and pick up yards.

I will be interested to see what people's reactions are when Reggie leaves. I think that many will still be complaining about QB play.

00Burdell said:

niether has Ralph Friedgen the past few years as he cannot even post a winning record.

Just shows you a coach can only do so much, the player has to have what it takes.

This is not the NFL where you get them full time for 50-55 hours per week.

The point I followed up on is that Chan has failed (in one area). My follow up point is that the failure is easy to explain in the short-term but, over time, becomes harder and harder to explain.

I'm not completely comfortable with the blanket assertion that its the coaches' faults. What does that mean exactly - they can't teach, they can't recruit, they can't motivate, can't discipline, can't design the correct offense, can't make gametime adjustments?

And what of the players? Is Reggie intimidated by the fact that CJ is often double-teamed? Does RB not like CJ personally? Is RB having trouble picking up the D? Are RB and CJ on the same page when an alternate route is called for? I could go on and on.

And, more importantly, can Chan answer those questions? Does Chan know or does he not know the exact source of the problem? If he thinks he knows, I'd be interested to know what he has done to address it. If he doesn't know, what experimental things has he tried to produce a different outcome?

Its far from a simple question. I know who's responsible - that's easy. And ultimately, we know where the problem is coming from. The hard part, - isolating the true source of the difficulty in getting the ball to CJ - remains a mystery.

Chan is far from stoopid. But that just makes the mystery even more intriguing. Simple? Eleven athletes, an extremely qualified coaching staff and fifty-thousand Tech fans all want the exact same thing - to see the ball in CJ's hands more often. But its not happening. I'm not sure simple is the adjective I would use to describe that.

between this and the OL thread - a couple of really good conversations today. Constructively critical but no name calling or bashing.

I think we're making way too much of this. He was asked about CJ and he basically said he knows we need to get the ball to him. I would bet he knows what the problems have been and they are taking steps (and have taken steps) to try to correct that. It evidently hasn't worked yet, and we'll see how it goes this year. The comment about not being stupid, is simply tic reaction that shows he knows what people are saying on the 'net and talk radio. It may not have really been funny, but it demonstrates a healthy attitude towards the media, etc., to me.

Interestingly, with all the trouble we have getting him the ball, after 2 seasons CJ is 10th in receptions, 7th in receiving yards and 6th in receiving TDs, in Tech history. He has also accounted for 40% of our passing yards. Not too shabby.

Strong voice of reason, NCJ!

Again, without knowing the context leading up to these statements, I am happy to see Chan letting the fire come out a little bit. You know it's always been there.

I think the days of the bunker mentality syndrome are over. Hoo-Ray!

One think to think about...

is how these "interviews" are done.

The coaches basically sit at a table and 5 reporters come up to them as the reporter wants to.

I'm certain the coaches answer the same question multiple times within a 5 minute span.

I think that's where the frustration comes, especially if someone chose to reference the Stewart Mandel opinions over the last 2 years.

We all know Calvin needs to get the ball, but he also needs to get it where he can do damage.
i.e. In stride, in his hands etc...

Reggie isn't the problem, but he hasn't been a solution. I think our passing game is pretty effective when RB is on the edge or outside the pocket.
However, when certain D-lines force us to become a Pro-style pocket passing attack we're going to struggle as long as there are route running and throwing accuracy problems.

The coach isn't encouraging a players to maintain bad fundamentals; wish more of our fanbase could see that.

Sounds like...

I'm not the only one tired of the preseason and ready for football to start back, albeit, I'm not ready for class to start back.

JOJATK said:
He's making a statement that he understands full well that we need to get the ball into the young man's hands. Simple as that.

I agree with what you wrote, except this last bit. It is not as simple as that, because Gailey also made elaborate excuses as to why we may not get the ball to CJ any more often this year than we have in the past.

I think/hope the intent of his comments was "We intend to get him the ball more, but I can't guarantee success.", but they sounded more like "Chances are we won't get him the ball any more often, because it's just too danged hard."

No, you want them to sound like that. He said what he said, no more and no less. How you interpret them is on you, not him.

What I "heard" him doing was attempting to explain why things don't always go as planned during a football game. It's not as simple as deciding to throw the ball to a certain guy. As a matter of fact, I hope we don't try to force it to Calvin. If he's double teamed and we have a better matchup on the other side we need to complete that pass. That's the only way we're going to loosen up coverage on Calvin, if we hurt them with other plays.

ncjacket said:
As a matter of fact, I hope we don't try to force it to Calvin. If he's double teamed and we have a better matchup on the other side we need to complete that pass. That's the only way we're going to loosen up coverage on Calvin, if we hurt them with other plays.
We have a winner.

One of the things I thought Fridge did best while he was here is design an Offense that can take what the D gives them. If the D wants to bracket #21 (CB + Safety over the top), great. Let's give our other players opportunities to beat them. And if they beat them enough times, the D will have to adjust... and then it's Calvin time.

Think about it. Would it be considered a good game for Calvin if he's triple-teamed for the entire game, but we have 200 yards passing to other guys combined with 200 yards rushing and win by 2 TD's?

The problem NCJ is that Reggie isn't really getting the ball to the other guys that much either.

I don't find Gailey's new found "fire" encouraging at all, his attitude towards the media stinks. He lost his compousre and his professionalism...I would much rather see him get fired up on the sidelines that at an interview! He should get drilled by them everyday about his inability to get the ball to Calvin. He gives a long list of excuses as to why its not as easy as everyone thinks...the speed of the game, qb making the read, double teams...but that is the game of football!!! Every coach deals with that! That is why I can't go out there and coach! There is a lot more to it than just saying "throw it to Calvin" there has to be a gameplan to make that happen, to create opportunities, mismatches etc.
Look at the stats below, would you say that Samardzija and Jarrett are better WR's than Calvin? I doubt it. But look at their stats (which apparently are "for losers")...if it weren't for all the circus catches that Calvin made (thanks to crappy passes) would CJ really be all that hyped based on his numbers alone? It is a crime against humanity.
I am obviously no fan of Chan, but I think the root problem is Reggie...but if that is the case, why don't we have a QB that can read the D and make the throw, this is Division 1 football boys, not the GHSA.
I hate sounding so negative but I am so damn frustrated; Calvin may be the most gifted player I ever see at Tech in my life time and his tenure here has been almost wasted.

Jeff Samardzija
77 Receptions, 1,249 yards and 15 TD's

Dwayne Jarrett
91 Receptions for 1,274 yards and 16 TD's

Calvin
54 Receptions for 888 yards and 6 TD's

Back