AJC Article

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Just what we expected. To cut through it all, basically it's a bunch of bull__. Why, through all this no one has been disciplined or fired. Typical of know it all's, "that's the way Tech is" snobs when all else fails they are going to get some pipe-smoking, brie fingering committe together to "make changes"

I say fire some asses like what happens in the real world.

I'd start with Braine. So he took the coach out of the chain of command? That's incompentence right there. If this wasn't an academic scandal, say players were sexually harassing coeds on the way to class, you better believe the football staff would be held TOTALLY accountable for off- the field behavior.

This is just the latest in a long line of fiasco's. We've got the perfect opportunity to clean it all up. This is the same crowd that started antagonizing Bobby Dodd and haven't stopped since. We're fortunate he loved Tech enough to look past them.

Braine? He's the one responsble for putting this "chain of command" in in the first place. Gailey? Yeah, he was taken out but probably to his liking - notice he didn't want to defend his laid back, NFL hands off approach.

All this is mute if the on the field product produces under this system. But 51-7 was enough indication to me that something was wrong but seemed to get no one's attention. Those "massive changes" amounted to O'Brien leaving and one re-tread being brought in. Same old same old.

You rose colored glasses types can hope this away all you want - but at least 70% of our schedule take this stuff damn serious and are playing for keeps. We better start or face the music and "expand" into the Southern Conference.
tongue.gif

Father Wasp, you are the one with the screwed up agenda and memory. You are the one with the Rose Colored Glasses. When you look at Gailey you pull off the Rose Colored Glasses and follow the smell of Blood.

As I have said earlier, you and your kind do not care for Georgia Tech athletics, you want to join in with the enemy of UGA and the AJC to help smear Tech and make it the laughing stock of the State and the ACC.

Since you and your kind want to use O'Leary as the symbol for winning and discipline, it is time to review the facts again and not someone's agenda such as you and the sewer pack.

Gailey versus O'Leary

O'Leary
1994 0-3 (0-3)
1995 6-5 (6-8)
1996 5-6 (11-14)

Gailey is 7-6 in his first year. O'Leary was 0-3 his first year, 6-8 through his second year, and 11-14 through his third year.

Then Friegden became the offensive coordinator in 1997. O'Leary was 7-5 and went to a bowl game the first year Friegden took over the offense. The four year status with Friegden as OC was:

1997 (7-5) (7-5)
1998 (10-2) (17-7)
1999 (8-4) (25-11)
2000 (9-2) (34-13)
2000 (0-1) Friegden did not coach in the bowl game and O'Leary's team lost.

2001 (7-5) O'Leary did not coach in the bowl game.

2001 (1-0) Mac, BOB, and Roof

O'Leary was 0-4 against UGA without Friegden and 3-1 against UGA with Friegden. O'Leary won no bowl games without Friegden.

The last year without Friegden, Tech was picked to finish in the top ten in the nation and had the most athletic club they had fielded since the early fifties and the best home field advantage to go undefeated.

O'Leary finished the year with a 7-5 record without Friegden.

He then quit and Tech went on to win the bowl game without O'Leary.

Some are comparing O'Leary and his hard nosed approach to academics and his discipline as the catalyst to win games, while Gailey and his lax approach is losing games.

So, we go to the facts.

In O'Leary's first three years at Tech (0-3 his first year)he had a cumulative record of 11-14 and loss to UGA three straight years. He played played in no bowl games those three years.

Gailey has been at Tech only one year, has a record of 7-6 and played in one bowl game.

Friegden left before the bowl game in his final season and O'Leary took the 9-2 team to the bowl game without Friegden and lost to LSU. So O'Leary lost his only bowl game without Friegden.

O'Leary was favored to win the bowl game, just as Gailey was favored against Fresno State.

The next year O'Leary took a top ten team with great athletes, a great home schedule, and squandered the season with a 7-5 record.

These athletes are the same ones that are called well disciplined athletes because O'Leary required nothing less.

So we compare the records of O'Leary 11-14 in his first three years with no bowls against Gailey 7-6 in his first year with a bowl game.

Now some are howling that Gailey should be fired because he does not discipline his players like O'Leary.

It makes little difference to these people that O'Leary's disciplined players had a worse record than Gailey's record. Gailey has had one year to prove his worth while O'Leary had two and a third years to prove his worth, yet Gailey' record is better.

If you are comparing apples to apples, Gailey is ahead of O'Leary.

Also, O'Leary's last year was the preseason rated top ten team with a great home schedule and he went 7-5.

Gailey goes 7-6 in his first year and some want to run him out of town. So, how did the big edge in discipline help O'Leary?

Looking at the facts and those who want to fire Gailey without letting him coach this season proves one thing. Those wanting to fire Gailey at this time have an agenda.

It has nothing to do with facts. It is obvious beyond doubt they did not like him at the very beginning.

Since O'Leary performed poorly until Ralph came along and performed poorly after Ralph left, it proves a good OC can make a difference.

Why is it not reasonable to give Gailey a shot with new offensive coordinators, since O'Leary's only success came with the same advantage?

Now these are the facts. You can twist the story any way you wish, but you cannot dispute the facts.

Yes, Father Wasp, you are showing your true colors and they are the same as the AJC, Red and Black.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I notice in your long, incoherent rambling ONE FACT you left out - 51-7. In our entire history - that is through wars, interim head coaches, rainstorms, you name it, NO ONE, at any point in history turned in such a sorry performance vs. Georgia. So when you start lecturing, quote all of the FACTS. Some legacy he will leave.

Ahsoisee you say what you want but I know Father Wasp and believe me he is a passionate Georgia Tech fan. Not that he needs any defense, but saying he is siding with the Red and Black is the worst insult you could have ever thrown his way.

By the way, why the venom toward O'Leary. Gailey will get his chance this year and time will tell the tell. O'Leary did nothing but lift Tech from the ashes of Bill Lewis and brought back some pride and tradition to Tech. Ralph helped but O'Leary busted his ass to make it happen.

Go Jackets!

Father Wasp, stating facts is being on some kind of medication? It appears you are on the medication.

And, by the way, I am way to old to be your son!

Jerry, show me in any part of my post where I exhibited venom toward O'Leary. You can't do it, because it is not there.

I made a comparison of his record to Gailey's record in his beginning at Tech. I also made a comparison with the change in his won-loss record with a new OC. This was in conjunction with giving Gailey a chance with a change in OC.

I also made a comparison with winning and losing by O'Leary with his phylosophy of discipline against Gailey's one year record with a different phylosophy of discipline.

Now, go back and find the venom I showed toward O'Leary. See, you make up what you want to be there. It is not there. It is a comparison between the two and showing that Gailey deserves the same chance as O'Leary had.

By the way, it is the pack that is using O'Leary and his discipline to compare records between O'Leary and Gailey. I just entered the facts.

Father Wasp, I had rather have a coach with an 0-1 record against UGA rather than 0-4 record against UGA regardless of the score in one game.

Father Wasp's tirades against Tech, the administration and Gailey at this particular time are worse than any comments I have heard from a Georgia fan. I will have to ask the UGA fan to forgive me.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aho, What we have here is two different sets of expectations. Your version of a Tech game is to dress up in canary yellow and watch flag boy flit about, get up in the middle of the second quarter and go watch a basketball scrimmage.

Mine is excitement over watching people like Pat Swilling and Lucious Sanford take some heads off. Don Lindsey with his "Black Watch" defense was doing something to instill some pride in smash mouth football, and it has been year after year we've seen Tech fit the same mold. You're wasting your time quoting wins and losses - that is not what this is all about.

Your dreadlocks and earbobs under Gailey went to Athens and let every generation of Techsters down by not showing any fight. For some reason that means not one thing to you -translated: YOUR apathy makes you the dog, red and black man, not me. YOU are the one that classifies the Ga. game as just "0-1" .

So next time you start quoting factoids start presenting the whole picture and throw that 51-7 up, and also the entire O'Leary record vs. Georgia, I'm not sure what your stabbing at with that 0-4.

Go and apologize to your Georgia buddies for me and my uncouth hatred for them if you must, but it will be those of us who wish for a better Tech that will make it happen, not those content to wallow around in mediocrity.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Aho, What we have here is two different sets of expectations. Your version of a Tech game is to dress up in canary yellow and watch flag boy flit about, get up in the middle of the second quarter and go watch a basketball scrimmage.

Mine is excitement over watching people like Pat Swilling and Lucious Sanford take some heads off. Don Lindsey with his "Black Watch" defense was doing something to instill some pride in smash mouth football.

Your dreadlocks and earbobs under Gailey went to Athens and let every generation of Techsters down by not showing any fight. For some reason that means not one thing to you -translated: YOUR apathy makes you the dog, red and black man, not me.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Father Wasp proves once again that he can neither read nor think.

Has Mother Wasp cut the Father off from something? Is that why he's so sour and vindictive?

Ahso your whole agenda is based on downing the achievements of O'Leary. According to you he was nothing without Freidgen.

You continue to spin the Gailey era as one marked by his victimization by others. At some point he will have to stand on his own. Just tell it like it is. He has underaheived up to this point regardless of any comparisons to anyone else.

Let's hope he shows some gumption and gets this thing turned in the right direction.

Go Jackets!

Father Wasp, I think your regimen of medicine is beginning to interact with one another. Maybe you should leave one off at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

rolleyes.gif

Jerry, I really don't have an agenda other than to be fair about the situation.

Yes, I will bring out the facts about O'Leary without Friegden when others try to use O'Leary, his record, and his disciplinary principals to lynch another person unfairly.

You saw the post between the records. They are fact and they speak for themselves. You may not like the comparisons, but it does not change the facts of the comparisons.

And, you are not telling the truth about my posts. You stated I was trying to say Gailey was victimized by others. No, I said there was just as much of a chance that BOB was the problem with the offense and quarterback play as Gailey. I gave each a 50/50 chance of being at fault.

So, once again, you have twisted things in your own mind. You have not stated what I have said. Yes, Gailey will have to stand on his own, and this year will be a good indicator of his ability utilizing his own offensive coordinators.

As I proved in the comparison, O'Leary did not do well until he changed his offensive coordinator. Now, how did you manage to get the view that I was trying to down O'leary?

Did you not note the comparisons? Were the comparisons true or not? If posters on this board did not bring up O'Leary and compare him to Gailey in an effort to compare and condemn Gailey against O'Leary, then I would not bring O'Leary's record up for comparison.

I have always stated I was disappointed with last year, but wanted to be fair and give Gailey this year with his changes to have a fair shot at succeeding. I have also stated I would be one of the first to call for Gailey's resignation if he did not improve the team this next season.

So, your statements are totally untrue and you have no basis from my post to draw those conclusions. You are making them up in your own mind.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

When Yellow Jackets get disturbed, they come swarming out of the hive stinging everything and everyone in sight.
frown.gif

Ahso, 1st off I'm not FWasp and yes I'm Jerry unless FW is also a jerry. I read your posts and found them to be enlightening. Your summation of O'Liars record is dead nuts on and correct. Our best years came with the Fridge not with O'liar. When Fridge left our progam headed down hill like we were on a greasy slope. May I add one thing to your posts and that is when a problem arises people want to blame someone and thats CCG. FWasp please look at the so called full cupboard O'Liar left then look at the NFL draft and tell me how many did we have in the draft. So Fwasp look at the situtation in the light of day, see the athletes we have left, the new ones coming in and then tell me where has CCG failed us not your opinion but actual facts.

OldFoggy, I was replying to Jerry the Jacket's post above. I need to start using full titles when a name is involved. I see how it could get confusing.

wink.gif

foggy, I took a look at the NFL draft list.. then I took a look at the Flunkout List.. Advantage O'Leary over The Regime...

Foggy, my post at the top contained nothing about O'Leary - only organizational changes, Aho opened that one up.

Anyone who reads what I write will notice most of it is not about wins and losses, but progress and improvement, with an added emphasis on some extra motivation and preparation for Georgia.

Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:
Ahsoisee you say what you want but I know Father Wasp and believe me he is a passionate Georgia Tech fan. Not that he needs any defense, but saying he is siding with the Red and Black is the worst insult you could have ever thrown his way.

By the way, why the venom toward O'Leary. Gailey will get his chance this year and time will tell the tell. O'Leary did nothing but lift Tech from the ashes of Bill Lewis and brought back some pride and tradition to Tech. Ralph helped but O'Leary busted his ass to make it happen.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thank You Jerry for bringing one of the most important positive factors into play with all this negative stuff ... George O'Leary came into the rubble, worked is behind off to bring once again our beloved GT to the positive side of college football. And the comments made in Saturday's paper concerning his obsessiveness concerning academics and his athletes was such a highlight of that article.

JTJ - I've always known and understood what he did for this program, no resume can change his contributions to his football program. He came in and took over someone else's mess, unlike our current coach who refused to get involved with any such thing - now the next guy has to be another GOL!!!

Have to agree I don't know why some are so anti O'Leary. I mean, I am upset with him leaving and do believe much of his winning was due to Ralph, but he did turn things back around and instilled a toughness in the program that doesn't seem to be there right now. He still owes us money and I wouldn't want to take him back after the way he left, but we are better off that he was here as long as he was.

I am not happy with the way things are going for us as a program. This is not the same as when ross went 2-8,2-8 then 7-4, 11-0-1. There needs to be emotion, discipline,poise,toughness,urgency,and most of all some heart. The teams of the late 80's and early 90's set the standard for the new tech era for how football should be played. When is the last time you saw one of our guys really knock the crap out of somebody. This relates directly to the classroom,Good tough hardnosed kids finding a way to get by in school. I have given all this mess some thought after reading for several days, I think the players are not commiting to this system, but also there is so much of the Lewis era with coaching and administration issues that are coming back that if we are not careful then the program may not be able to recover. It is truly difficult to point fingers but I know the coach's that got it done and the one's that didn't.

Back