AJC Article

I have to agree with some of everyone's statements. True, after Ralph left, we didn't do as well. But, knowing the drive of GO'L, he would fix that. CG does not APPEAR to have that drive, at least at GT. We shall see, but I will be quite surprised if he all of a sudden takes a strong leadership role and that includes discipline.

Originally posted by wedgebuster: You are always ready Hit'um hard and maybe they'll wake up next week!
I am not happy with the way things are going for us as a program. This is not the same as when ross went 2-8,2-8 then 7-4, 11-0-1. There needs to be emotion, discipline,poise,toughness,urgency,and most of all some heart. The teams of the late 80's and early 90's set the standard for the new tech era for how football should be played. When is the last time you saw one of our guys really knock the crap out of somebody. This relates directly to the classroom,Good tough hardnosed kids finding a way to get by in school. I have given all this mess some thought after reading for several days, I think the players are not commiting to this system, but also there is so much of the Lewis era with coaching and administration issues that are coming back that if we are not careful then the program may not be able to recover. It is truly difficult to point fingers but I know the coach's that got it done and the one's that didn't.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

MsTech and NCJacket,

Your posts about O'leary are a breath of fresh air.

soapbox.gif

O'Leary did wonders for this program, whether it was with Ralph's help or not. He was the captain of this ship, and it sailed for clearer waters than it had in the past 40 years. O'Leary's teams fought with determination and heart. There were so many hard fought victories during his tenure here, I lost count. The players on his teams were great, but they were still HIS teams. There was not a game that O'Leary coached that I didn't think Tech had a chance of winning. NOT ONE. One of his hallmarks was discipline, as many are familiar with, and he was scrutinized very closely for that. However, I would take that type of tough love any day over what Chan Gailey has brought to this team.

Chan Gailey is probably a good and decent man, although I do not know him personally. However, his tenure at Tech has shown me that he is not the right coach for Georgia Tech Football. His teams do not come out fired up. There is an OBVIOUS lack of even a hint of discipline in this program. This may or may not be attributed to him directly, but it is HIS football team right here and right now. Chan Gailey is the coach, and it is his responsibility to represent this program and push his players to be the best that they can be as football players as well as students. They are called STUDENT athletes for a reason.

The question that people have to ask themselves is this: Do you feel better about the Tech football program under O'Leary or under Gailey?

Gailey has been an absent ghost of a coach since he came to Tech. Whenever there has been controversy (and there's been plenty of it) he has conveniently offered "No Comment" on the situation. What a load of crap. This is HIS program, and he needs to get out and let the fans know that he has a clear-cut direction that he is going to take this program in, and he's not going to settle for anything less. He needs to let the fans know that he's going to lead this program back to national prominence and stop the nonsense that's been going on since he arrived.

I have been a Tech fan long enough to know that it will be tough for Tech to succeed in today's college footbal landscape without the right coaches, the right administration, and the right players all at the same time. Right now, the situation is pitiful in the Tech Athletic Association including Chan Gailey, Dave Braine, Carol Moore, and the athletes who don't have to drive or the will to represent the fine Institute that we all know and love.

rant.gif

OLeary was a disciple of ross and they knew what it took to get it done. Players were afraid back then but that fear made them great as people, in the class, and on the field.

Originally posted by CheWreck:
MsTech and NCJacket,

Your posts about O'leary are a breath of fresh air.

soapbox.gif

O'Leary did wonders for this program, whether it was with Ralph's help or not. He was the captain of this ship, and it sailed for clearer waters than it had in the past 40 years. O'Leary's teams fought with determination and heart. There were so many hard fought victories during his tenure here, I lost count. The players on his teams were great, but they were still HIS teams. There was not a game that O'Leary coached that I didn't think Tech had a chance of winning. NOT ONE. One of his hallmarks was discipline, as many are familiar with, and he was scrutinized very closely for that. However, I would take that type of tough love any day over what Chan Gailey has brought to this team.

Chan Gailey is probably a good and decent man, although I do not know him personally. However, his tenure at Tech has shown me that he is not the right coach for Georgia Tech Football. His teams do not come out fired up. There is an OBVIOUS lack of even a hint of discipline in this program. This may or may not be attributed to him directly, but it is HIS football team right here and right now. Chan Gailey is the coach, and it is his responsibility to represent this program and push his players to be the best that they can be as football players as well as students. They are called STUDENT athletes for a reason.

The question that people have to ask themselves is this: Do you feel better about the Tech football program under O'Leary or under Gailey?

Gailey has been an absent ghost of a coach since he came to Tech. Whenever there has been controversy (and there's been plenty of it) he has conveniently offered "No Comment" on the situation. What a load of crap. This is HIS program, and he needs to get out and let the fans know that he has a clear-cut direction that he is going to take this program in, and he's not going to settle for anything less. He needs to let the fans know that he's going to lead this program back to national prominence and stop the nonsense that's been going on since he arrived.

I have been a Tech fan long enough to know that it will be tough for Tech to succeed in today's college footbal landscape without the right coaches, the right administration, and the right players all at the same time. Right now, the situation is pitiful in the Tech Athletic Association including Chan Gailey, Dave Braine, Carol Moore, and the athletes who don't have to drive or the will to represent the fine Institute that we all know and love.

rant.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">CheW: Welcome and how eloquently you reflect in your post what was right and good about Coach O'Leary with HIS program and tenure here! If you look back at all my posts since Coach Gailey took over, I like you have engaged in the same comparisons, or lack their of.

I have been dogged continuously here for my feelings but as long as I see what is not right, I'll continue to be an advocate for the school and the players only.

It did not take me long to realize the lack of all those most important traits and leadership that this coach did not have vs. George O'Leary.
I like you and many others here, never left any stadium under the reign if Coach O'Leary and felt we weren't competitive, well prepared/disciplined and left everything on the field to garner wins.

The personality of the team was that of their coach - Coach O'Leary personality was undieing and relentless in his efforts to put this school, it's players, its fans in a positive position all the time! I never left an O'Leary coached game feeling depressed and not looking forward to the next!

In one season - that feeling changed in one fell swoop!! Thank you for giving this Coach his positive "JUST DUE"!!!!!

Why keep harping on GOL? He left GT for ND. He was not fired. He chose ND over GT.

The deal with ND fell thru because of the resume scandal.

GT was faced with begging him to come back to GT after he had told the world that he did not prefer to coach at GT. We could have thrown enough money at GOL to get him back. Then what would we have? We would have a reject as our head coach, ala Ugag's Harrick. How would the world percieve GT's integrity then?

GOL is gone, and I do not want him back. He was good for GT while he wanted to be here, but now he would not be good for us. It is useless to keep comparing CCG to GOL (unless, of course, I am the one who does it).
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by mustard:
Why keep harping on GOL? He left GT for ND. He was not fired. He chose ND over GT.

The deal with ND fell thru because of the resume scandal.

GT was faced with begging him to come back to GT after he had told the world that he did not prefer to coach at GT. We could have thrown enough money at GOL to get him back. Then what would we have? We would have a reject as our head coach, ala Ugag's Harrick. How would the world percieve GT's integrity then?

GOL is gone, and I do not want him back. He was good for GT while he wanted to be here, but now he would not be good for us. It is useless to keep comparing CCG to GOL (unless, of course, I am the one who does it).
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Mustard: I brought him up because of the positive things he did here. Too many railed on him because he left. Ross left and I felt the same way, sad but knew it would/could happen. I and a few others are just making comparisons as to his tenure vs. the current coach.

GOL deserves credit and I chose to give it to him, just like the other good/great coaches at Tech.

ahso, at this point I do not care what the auc prints about us. We have bigger problems to deal with. If we do what we should do, and can do, the press will be what it should for us. The only thing I know right now is 51 - 7. Those responsible need to burn starting with clough. The damn newspaper don't mean squat.

Originally posted by Father WASP:

What we have here is two different sets of expectations. Your version of a Tech game is to dress up in canary yellow and watch flag boy flit about, get up in the middle of the second quarter and go watch a basketball scrimmage.

As of this morning - pipe-smoking, canary yellow crowd still laughing from the Hill.

What we have here is two different sets of expectations. Your version of a Tech game is to dress up in canary yellow and watch flag boy flit about, get up in the middle of the second quarter and go watch a basketball scrimmage.

As of this morning - pipe-smoking, canary yellow crowd still laughing from the Hill.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wasp: There is ONE group who won't sit back - the Big Money Contributors!! I think before all is said and done - they will play a very important roll in changing things from all perspectives ... I really believe that.
shocked.gif

Back