• No

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • F**k this poll!

Votes: 8 15.4%

• Total voters

ramble on

Dodd lite
Thoughts:
1. IMO, if it happens, GT deserves to be the mandatory first pick given the reason(s) we left. F**king Bear Bryant!

2. Love how he purposefully leaves out the graduate enrollment to skew the #'s.

3. BTW, HD thinks the same. Bet you never guessed that one! http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/11023/accs-lunchtime-links-156

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-s...in-the-sec/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports Let’s do a mailbag! And how would Tech fit in the SEC?

8:41 am April 29, 2010, by Doug Roberson
That’s right I used an exclamation point in the headline. That’s how excited I am about doing our second e-mail mailbag.
Send me any question you may have about any Georgia Tech sport and I’ll do my best to provide you an insightful answer.
I’ll post the answers on a blog on Tuesday at lunchtime. That’s Tuesday at lunchtime. There was some confusion about the publication of the answers when we did the last mailbag.

Now, on to the pie-in-the-sky topic that esteemed colleague (to borrow Mark Bradley’s phrase) Tony Barnhart broached last week.
As many of you know, expansion is the topic du jour for several conferences. The Big 10 has openly said it’s considering it. The SEC said it has reviewed scenarios. I await an answer from the ACC if it too has reviewed or is reviewing scenarios.
Should one or two of the conferences make a move, Barnhart suggested that the SEC may turn to the ACC and try and lure Clemson and Georgia Tech, among others, into the fold.
While I think that Clemson and FSU (the other possibility) would be natural fits because of the stadium sizes and geographic footprint of the fan bases, I’m not sure that Tech would. I’m also not sure that they would want to, unless it came to that.
Financially, it’s a no-brainer. Thanks to ESPN’s largess, SEC schools pull in the second-highest per school revenues behind those from the Big 10, which has its own TV network funding the athletics department.
The ACC is in the process of negotiating new TV deals for football and men’s basketball. It’s unlikely to pull in the $2 billion over 15 years that ESPN pledged to the SEC.
While Tech was once a founding member of the SEC, I would be very surprised to see the dominoes fall in such a way that find Tech back in the fold.
Some comparative stats, courtesy of Wikipedia (so take them with a grain of salt). These are meant for talking points only:
College/Metro pop./Year founded/Affiliation/Enrollment/Founded
University of Florida/ (114,916)/1853/Public/51,474/1932
University of Georgia/ (113,398)/1785/Public/34,180/1932
University of Kentucky/ (282,114)/1865/Public/26,054/1932
University of South Carolina/ (127,029)/1801/Public/27,488/1991
University of Tennessee/ (184,802)/1794/Public/30,410/1932
Vanderbilt University/ (596,462)/1873/Private/12,093/1932
Western Division
University of Alabama/ (90,221)/1831/Public/27,014/1932
University of Arkansas/ (73,372)/1871/Public/19,849/1991
Auburn University/ (56,088)/1856/Public/24,530/1932
Louisiana State University/ (223,689)/1860/Public/28,810/1932
University of Mississippi/ (17,265)/1848/Public/15,289/1932
Mississippi State University/ (24,187)/1878/Public/17,824/1932
Georgia Tech/5,000,000+/1885/Public/12,966/1885
http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1627ioi...7/B4396529.11;sz=728x90;ord=1272734155706018?
b

Last edited:
No, we don't. And before anyone else brings it up, Vanderbilt doesn't fit in there either.

I say yes, GT does fit in the SEC. 1) We helped form the damn thing. 2) We have more SEC championships than many of those teams. 3) We would bring one of the largest cities (and one of the best recruiting footprints) in the south completely into the SEC. 4) Our rivalry with UGAy would increase in significance ten fold when suddenly we were knocking them out of the chance for a conference championship instead of just humiliating them.

Saying we don't fit is like saying Vanderbilt does. This thing can only end with good anyway. If we move into the SEC, CPJ will kick ass all over the place, if we stay in a raided ACC, we'll be perennial champions and look really good.

Personally, I hope **** stays the way it is though. The ACC is still pretty competitive, and we look like we can stay on top.

Bobby Dodd screwed up. We need to own up to it and grovel if we want back in.

Remember a few years back when the ACC was supposedly going to challenge the SEC as a superconference? The ACC still could make that leap, but we (GT & ACC) must first start winning our BCS Bowls, win more than 50% of the games against the top of the SEC, and play for a National Championship at least once every 3-4 years. We also need to have more than one team in the hunt for the National Championship every single year. I believe GT, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and possibly UNC can get us to that point.

This must happen. I cannot stand going to another offseason on a loss.

Prediction:

We somehow get lucky and win all regular season games this year. Looking at the trend in the past few years with CPJ, this is what's going to happen:

First year: Chickfila bowl and lost to LSU.
Second year: BCS Orange bowl and lost to Iowa.
This year: BCS Championship and lose to _______.

Bobby Dodd screwed up. We need to own up to it and grovel if we want back in.

Remember a few years back when the ACC was supposedly going to challenge the SEC as a superconference? The ACC still could make that leap, but we (GT & ACC) must first start winning our BCS Bowls, win more than 50% of the games against the top of the SEC, and play for a National Championship at least once every 3-4 years. We also need to have more than one team in the hunt for the National Championship every single year. I believe GT, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and possibly UNC can get us to that point.

You don't think VT can do that?

Prediction:

We somehow get lucky and win all regular season games this year. Looking at the trend in the past few years with CPJ, this is what's going to happen:

First year: Chickfila bowl and lost to LSU.
Second year: BCS Orange bowl and lost to Iowa.
This year: BCS Championship and lose to _______.

Then next year back to the Emerald Nut Bowl to complete the cycle?

Robertson is a dog fan/graduate. Few dog fans want to see us back in the SEC...

GT has 20,000 students including grad school. Clemson doesn't have that many.

Anyway, conferences affiliations are based on sporting competition. We are the strongest of the 3 schools these days (FSU and Clem).

Back