AJC: Brent Key has the players to win in ACC

I disagree with this. The talent at OL was good (but not great), it just wasn't suited to the type O we wanted to run. Two of those guys were still playing a lot last season, in year 4, despite the transfers and newer recruits. Same for QB. What we did not have was much depth. Those guys might not have made an ACC roster that was running a pro style O, but they could certainly have run that RPG we were trying to run had we had an OC who was worth a hoot and designed his O to their strengths. In fact, I'd say it was the coaching talent that largely wouldn't have been on the staff of another ACC program. I think Key and Choice were likely the only two offensive coaches we had that may have made it onto an ACC staff.

All that is water over the dam now, though. Things will get better directly under new leadership.
Funny you disagee with me but then provided evidence for my argument. The fact that the OL was still bad 4 years later isn’t an argument for it was good 4 years ago.

Saying we could have run some special offense to use the ability of the QBs on our roster perfect illustrates that none of them would have been on the roster of a typical P5 school.

Johnson would have had a good offense but the defense would have stunk and Johnson retired anyway.

I think Cunningham puts too much stock in recruiting rankings, but I agree with his overall optimism about next season. Portal sounding like a net positive this off-season, and Key making positive changes to staff. Sounding like Faulkner's offense will get the ball out of the QB's hands faster; won't rely as much on OL providing a pocket. Maybe that's better suited to our OL. Interested to see how Pyron or King do running it, and if receivers can put up yac to make it work.

It really remains to be seen if the incoming transfers come anywhere close to replacing the guys leaving.At this point I would seriously doubt it.

Funny you disagee with me but then provided evidence for my argument. The fact that the OL was still bad 4 years later isn’t an argument for it was good 4 years ago.

Saying we could have run some special offense to use the ability of the QBs on our roster perfect illustrates that none of them would have been on the roster of a typical P5 school.

Johnson would have had a good offense but the defense would have stunk and Johnson retired anyway.
It was bad because we were running the approach they weren’t trained to do. You don’t put the offensive numbers CPJ put up with untalented OL.
Not a “special” offense, just play a selection that took advantage of their strengths. Look at how they handled Gibson against UGA, short passes only. You know this.
We’re talking O here, but look at how many of Johnson’s D recruits got their shot at the League.
Not gonna argue further, you’re entitled to your opinion, we just disagree.

It really remains to be seen if the incoming transfers come anywhere close to replacing the guys leaving.At this point I would seriously doubt it.
It has grown increasingly difficult to be excited about any transfers that come in lately. Since about 2002.

Uh, someone tell Cunningham we don't have a two-game win streak against Boston College.
You know, that's stuff easy to look up.
Never been a fan of Cunningham's work anyway. This just makes me less of one.
Quality engineer post. Complain about everything. Even when a reporter is trying to compliment GT.

Quality engineer post. Complain about everything. Even when a reporter is trying to compliment GT.
Um ... he made a pretty dumb error. One that's easily avoidable. Kinda puts into question his credibility and work.

Lol on at Tech would someone öööö on this

Tech returns it’s entire OL along with depth
4* QB most are excited about
4* Blackburn for Carter
High 3* in Rutherford for McCollum
productive big WR out the the portal

Experience and depth on the DL with guys who played plenty of snaps to fill in for White

4* LB Tatum Eley
4* Transfer from A&M

4 returning DBs. 2 former 4*s one of which was All-ACC and Freshman HM All-American

If this was any other teams, guys on here would be crowning them like y’all did Pitt last season.

4* Blackburn for Carter

Experience and depth on the DL with guys who played plenty of snaps to fill in for White

4* LB Tatum Eley
4* Transfer from A&M

4 returning DBs. 2 former 4*s one of which was All-ACC and Freshman HM All-American

If this was any other teams, guys on here would be crowning them like y’all did Pitt last season.
I think we will be a solid team. The OL and DL are key.

4* Blackburn for Carter

4* LB Tatum Eley
4* Transfer from A&M

I’m excited to be excited again. I was numb going into this season.

The LOS talent was bad to awful when Collins took over. Throw in QBs that wouldn’t make a roster in the ACC and there was a lot of turnover needed. Doesn’t excuse how bad the results were or that he didn’t have an actual plan.

Key is in a much better place with the roster and .500 in ACC and overall is very doable and should happen. I figure it will be his 3rd season when we find out if he is GOL or Gailey. A winner or a do the minimum.
Rubbish. The talent no better or worse now than any time in last 15 years. Collins was a clown and CPJ was simply a winner.

From the article that sums the state of the program perfectly:

The most important reason why the Yellow Jackets aren’t a salvage project for Key is that he has a pretty good player talent base to work with. That’s incongruent with Tech’s 14-32 record (11-22 ACC) over the past four seasons. Chalk some of that up to the rough transition away from the triple-option. Put the rest on Collins’ inability to demonstrate that he can win at the Power Five level.

One thing Collins did right, though, was to increase the level of player talent at Tech. After Hall of Fame coach Paul Johnson ambushed opponents with his specialized offense, there now are more good players in Tech’s program. They just need better coaching.

I love how you spruced that segment up with some bold, some italics, some bold underline, and some underlined italics.

Back