AJC Calling For Chans Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamblinPeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Article Here
As usual, some will agree whole heartedly, some will disagree whole heartedly, and some will sit the fence so long that they'll probably never get that stick out of their butt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

The funny thing is that the pro Chan group can be as impulsive and irrational as the Chan-haters they dread, I don't know if there are many objective, non-agenda driven hardliners out there.

Let's not report this CNN style ok? My paper this morning was not calling for his job...simply predicting it might happen. Big difference, huh? THWG & Academic Snobs

I am MORE fighting the Gailey Haters than.....

I am MORE fighting the Gailey Haters than I am defending CG.

I think the way MANY bash CG hurts GT, recruiting, and is just in poor taste.

I have NO PROBLEM if at the end of next year if CG has not made some positive gains then it would be acceptable for GT to move in a different direction.

But I think he should be given to the end of next year.

By then I expect Fridge, Bunting, Amato, Coker, and both Bowdens will not be coaching in the ACC. In fact I expect the coaching tenures in the ACC will be 5 years or less.

I hope that the ship gets righted this year and we can put all this talk to rest, but we will just have to wait and see.

I just hope that we will MOVE UP if we make a change. Many believe that it is NOT POSSIBLE to move down. Well those who believe that are VERY WRONG.

Re: I am MORE fighting the Gailey Haters than.....

[ QUOTE ]

I just hope that we will MOVE UP if we make a change. Many believe that it is NOT POSSIBLE to move down. Well those who believe that are VERY WRONG.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat.

[ QUOTE ]
Call it what you will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this the guy many around here call Bark Bradley?

I also listened to Tony Barnhart (sp?) refute this on the radio on my way to work this morning. I didn't soil myself with excitement then, you probably shouldn't over this.

Just calling it what the English language suggest it is, ok? Not making a case for or against CCG. THWG

I'm just providing information. My feelings on Chan have been made clear and I'm not going to reitterate, that just makes for a crappy message board.

I don't think it does any good to argue over semantics about whether they call or predict it, theres not much difference there when this is on the doorstep of however many people. Media can make things happen, and this definitely isn't going to help with recruiting or building a strong fanbase. Say what you will about keeping it in the shed until the season is over, thats well and good, but its not going to happen, and it doesn't happen anywhere.

I do however, think Bradley sums up the feelings of those who want CCG to not be head coach anymore very nicely.

RP I got involved in posting on these boards because of the blatant lack of respect and hatred of Chan Gailey the GT football coach from day one, before his teams ever took the field.
That IMO was wrong and it's probalby the reason some are refusing to give in.

Those of you that think turning GT football into a consistant top 25 program overnight is attainable and then sustain it,are dreamming.
The self imposed recruiting rules that are currently in place will not allow it no matter who the coach is.
GT has never been able to recruit depth not even under Dodd.

IMO lawbee is right, we could do worse and those that think there is this long list of what has been called qualified coaches out there young or old, willing to come to GT, are living in FANTSY LAND.

RP,I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think so.

[ QUOTE ]

That IMO was wrong and it's probalby the reason some are refusing to give in.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't going to feel that they were wrong if he doesn't get a renewal. I agree that a lot of people didn't give him a chance, but on some level they'll be validated if trends continue.

As for becoming a consistant top 25 program... it pains me to say, but I'm not sure if we can be without a LOT of changes to the alumni, the fanbase, and the coaches. We're broken down and dilluted, its been a rollercoaster ride for a few years.

Those of use came to Tech (either as student/fan/both) within the last 5-10 years either have a battered wife syndrome thing going (me) or are incredibly jaded towards football, we go from top 25 for 3? years in a row, to not being ranked for longer. Win a big game, lose to an unranked. Hard to develope confidence. Haven't beaten our rival in 4 years, and continue to get embarrassed on the field for the last few years. A terrible way to have young alumni who care, which is your best way of getting the stadium full. Theres big problems that need to be solved.

Like I said before, its not my job to figure them out, we pay people to do that, but something needs to be done somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

I think we can agree on what you have posted. My problem is when those on these boards get to the point there calling the GT head football coach and SA's names "spike,leon,el stupido,Is just wrong and there is no excuse for it.
Why some want to bring up the money paid to coaches is beyond me, every coach, from Heisman to Gailey has been paid to WIN, the amount is irrelevant
Every person and I mean every person, that has represented GT as it's head coach and gave it his best,whether sucessful or not deserves a certain amount of respect.

IMO there is no disgrace in failure if you do the best you can, in fact I believe those that are afraid to fail are doomed to failure.

By the way RP GT has always been an up and down program not the most consistant in history.

Well for those of us who were at Tech when we were winning just a game or two a season thinks that 7-5 seasons ain't that bad, particularly when evaluating the issues at hand.

They Write For Attention ....

which is exactly what you did by titling your post the way you did. One, it's not a newspapers place to "call" for a coach's job. Two, he clearly stated, "I hope I'm wrong". As bad as Bradley is your distortion of his column is worse.

You also might want some historical perspective of Tech football from those of us who have been fans for 40+ years instead of using an insignificant 5 year time frame as a guide. It has been better a few times, but more often it has been worse, a lot worse.

Does any Tech fan really care what the ...

"Red and Black" thinks about our coach/program? Not I.

Even though a lot of Mark Bradley's article is pretty much correct, I hate to see Bradley use his position of sports writer as a "bully pulpit", of which I think he has done. As for Chan Gailey; I'm still behind him win or lose through the year. By next year I say it is "Show & Tell" time........... Even though I have not agreed with a lot of his tactics for football, I still hope GT honors his contract for next year. He has appeared to be right on the verge of making things happen, just to come back and have a disastrous game knock all the props out. Whether he is the coach for GT's future, I can't say. There are definitely some changes I'd like to see happen and quick too. For the time being, I'll go on supporting him and hope that he can get some class recruiting in. I do also think that if he continues to get put down by GT fans, it will have a negative effect on his ability to recruit class players. Soooooo, do we shoot ourselves in the foot with negative criticism?
As far as the NC State game goes; we of course didn't win but we didn't deserve to win either. Even if CJ had somehow caught the pass in the endzone, we still deserved to drop that game. Just because a team plays a great game, doesn't necessarily mean that they will win that game. Just ask ND's CW about that. But when we or any team plays a lackluster game, then that team does not deserve to win. In my humble opinion, we played lackluster against State, VT, and also a lot of the Duke game. The biggest complaint that I have about our coaching is simply, I don't see our guys leaving all they have on the field. This is mentally as well as physically. This is what I am waiting to see, is for GT to go out there and play their hearts out as a TEAM. Yes, I realize some of the players do this every game. But not as a team have I seen it done.

Re: Does any Tech fan really care what the ...

I do. Let's say that we beat UGA 5 years in a row. If the UGA fans were not embarassed or crushed, where is the bragging rights or the feeling of dishing out the whoopin. I think it is CRUCIAL to earn respect on a regular basis. The fact is that fans DO care what their rep is and what others see them as.

Re: They Write For Attention ....

I'm well aware of the history. I know our records agianst our big rivals. I just don't believe it has to be that way. Just because history is a certain way doesn't mean current and future has to, just means someone needs to come in to turn it hard to get it on the right course.

As for Bradley, again I'll say, it doesn't matter if he's "predicting" or saying that "he hopes he's wrong", we all know what the article meant. But I'm not going to try to convence you and waste both of our time.

Re: They Write For Attention ....

RP I for one believe it will remain that way untill GT widely expands it's curriculum or changes the way it approaches recruiting and I don't see that happening.
IMO GT cannot compete at the same level consistantly with the likes of the mutt's,UT, UM,FSU, CU there is no reason not be highly sucessful at those schools but there are valid reasons for GT and in the long term, IMO firing the coach will not correct the problem.

Since Dodd the most sucessful coach at GT has been GOL and I believe one of the reasons for that he was on the flats almost 12 years,5 with Ross 1 under Lewis and 7 as HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back