AJC Coverage of Louisville Win

18in32

Petard Hoister
has been excellent. Hummer's write up is pretty good.

Also, Ken put together an article with some interesting stats, some of which have already been discussed on the board. Here are some others.

– This is only the 3d time in 11 years of option football that we've gone consecutive games without a turnover. That's depressing and explains a lot.

– Tobias Oliver has 54 rushing attempts this year... 13 for 10+ yds, 4 for 20+ yds and 2 for 60+ yds. That's pretty impressive in only 54 rushing attempts.

– Two pass attempts is the fewest in the past 11 years. I realize it's hard for CPJ to pass when we're running to so well, but it does seem like our WR need some love. We're gonna need 'em at some point.

– Only four times ever has an ACC team score 60+ in consecutive games... FSU in 1992, Louisville in 2017, and GT in 2015 and 2018. (FSU beat Maryland and Tulane. Louisville beat Syracuse and #2 FSU.)

– We averaged 7.6 yds on 1st down, 10.3 yds on 2d down, and 5.1 yds on 3d down.

– In 11 years we've had twenty 400+ yd rushing games against FBS opponents. 8.3 ypc on Friday is the 4th-highest average of those games. Kansas 2011, Virginia 2012 and Miami 2008 were 1, 2 & 3.

We have to have been the most efficient offense the past 2 weeks.

Good start to getting back on track but I need to see more. Next up is Duke and they’ve handled CPJ’s offense easily in recent years.

Good start to getting back on track but I need to see more. Next up is Duke and they’ve handled CPJ’s offense easily in recent years.

Not so much in 16, when Justin nearly went 200/200. And last year we did well on O in the first half (weren't we up 21-20?). Pooped the bed in the second half, but we couldn't get them off the field, either, so when we went three and out in the third quarter, that was about the last time we had the ball for the quarter.

Ugh... For all the talk we hear about "simplifying" the defense, you question why we never hear it on offense. The simple schemes when our backups come in have worked the past few years, even against teams like Clemson when MJ came in, and the second our starting QB is in there we've got the big uglies trying to do ballet moves and chase down linebackers in space. Just have the boys hit someone until they stop you, damnit.

From AJC said:
Johnson credits the recent flourish to going back and simplifying his offense, proving that, yes, there is something simpler than Run Right, Run Left, Run Middle. “Once we got back and simplified and got back to basics, the kids got better,” he said.

I accept checks, Paul.

Not so much in 16, when Justin nearly went 200/200. And last year we did well on O in the first half (weren't we up 21-20?). Pooped the bed in the second half, but we couldn't get them off the field, either, so when we went three and out in the third quarter, that was about the last time we had the ball for the quarter.

Duke plays us pretty aggressively - like VT does. We’ve had a lot of good passing days in the past against them. If we’re hitting open receivers it’ll be more of the same from the last two weeks. If.

has been excellent. Hummer's write up is pretty good.

Also, Ken put together an article with some interesting stats, some of which have already been discussed on the board. Here are some others.

– This is only the 3d time in 11 years of option football that we've gone consecutive games without a turnover. That's depressing and explains a lot.

– Tobias Oliver has 54 rushing attempts this year... 13 for 10+ yds, 4 for 20+ yds and 2 for 60+ yds. That's pretty impressive in only 54 rushing attempts.

– Two pass attempts is the fewest in the past 11 years. I realize it's hard for CPJ to pass when we're running to so well, but it does seem like our WR need some love. We're gonna need 'em at some point.

– Only four times ever has an ACC team score 60+ in consecutive games... FSU in 1992, Louisville in 2017, and GT in 2015 and 2018. (FSU beat Maryland and Tulane. Louisville beat Syracuse and #2 FSU.)

– We averaged 7.6 yds on 1st down, 10.3 yds on 2d down, and 5.1 yds on 3d down.

– In 11 years we've had twenty 400+ yd rushing games against FBS opponents. 8.3 ypc on Friday is the 4th-highest average of those games. Kansas 2011, Virginia 2012 and Miami 2008 were 1, 2 & 3.

To be fair, how often does any team go consecutive games without a turnover?

“He got a little bored tonight. He said he wanted to get in at A-back or B-back,” laughed actual back Qua Searcy. But Harvin would have only gained eights yards per rush and brought down the team average (8.3 per carry).

That was a good one.

Fighting out of its class, Louisville did get to break out the gloves on the sideline – which looked increasingly ludicrous the farther behind it fell. A little sad, really, like the Ali-Trevor Berbick fight.

:ugh:

Louisville didn’t look like Muhammad Ali in his prime. They looked more like the sad version that fought Trevor Berbick.

To be fair, how often does any team go consecutive games without a turnover?
That's a good point... I don't know. But I didn't realize it was that common. And turnovers seem to have a bigger impact on our offensive success than on other offenses.

We owe Duke.

I'm talking Khabib level debt. Saturday, we settle accounts.

Back