AJC Garbage Claims We're #21

Rodzilla

Dodd-Like
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s...2008/10/19/georgia_tech_college_rankings.html

Last I checked, once the BCS comes out it's the de-facto standard, and therefore Tech is #18. Upon reading the headline stating we're #21 my first thought was their publication deadline was before the BCS rankings came out. But then there it was, paragraph two - "A day after defeating Clemson on the road for their fourth consecutive win, the Jackets debuted in the top 25 of the Associated Press (writers) and USA Today (coaches) polls at No. 21. Georgia Tech also came in ranked No. 18 in the first BCS poll released Sunday."

Stupid AJC...

Edit: Meanwhile, the headline for Georgia - "Dogs 7th in first BCS rankings"

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s...2008/10/19/georgia_tech_college_rankings.html

Last I checked, once the BCS comes out it's the de-facto standard, and therefore Tech is #18. Upon reading the headline stating we're #21 my first thought was their publication deadline was before the BCS rankings came out. But then there it was, paragraph two - "A day after defeating Clemson on the road for their fourth consecutive win, the Jackets debuted in the top 25 of the Associated Press (writers) and USA Today (coaches) polls at No. 21. Georgia Tech also came in ranked No. 18 in the first BCS poll released Sunday."

Stupid AJC...

Edit: Meanwhile, the headline for Georgia - "Dogs 7th in first BCS rankings"

I think you are reaching a bit there. The number 21 poll ranking was first, what is it that you are having a problem with about this?

I personally feel like it doesn't matter at this point.

We win out, rankings and "respect" will come...

Media never quotes the BCS ranking, (or the coaches ranking) they always quote the AP one. Also note, the BCS ranking is not a poll, and the title specifically said we "entered the POLLS" at 21.

This thread is misguided angst.

I agree, it doesn't really matter at this point, but I don't think he's reaching too far. We are 18 in BCS and 21 in AP, AJC headline states us as being #21. UGA is 7 in BCS and 9 in AP, and AJC headline states them as being #7. Now tell me why.

Media never quotes the BCS ranking, (or the coaches ranking) they always quote the AP one. Also note, the BCS ranking is not a poll, and the title specifically said we "entered the POLLS" at 21.

This thread is misguided angst.

Check the AJC headlines.

They headlines specifically state that:
UGA was 7th in the first BCS
Ga Tech entered the polls at 21

Neither of these is false or biased, they are talking about two different things.

No one cares about UGA's position in the human polls because they've been ranked all year. It's different for us because it's the first time.

I am over the AJC but a good headline could have been "First BCS Poll of the Year has Georgia #7 and Georgia Tech #18" Even if our BCS ranking were in a smaller font under the UGA Headline that would be nice. They did atleast show our ranking out the side and mention us in the sixth paragraph of the article.

The only thing I found weird on the AJC site was on the GT homepage there is an article entitled "Jackets crack BCS poll" but when you click on the link it goes to an article by Barnhart about everything that needs to happen for the dogs to make the BCS championship game, no mention of GT in that article.

Our BCS ranking is and will be irrelevant. The only way it could come into play is if we ended up in a 4 way tie in our division and the tiebreaker were to fall to that to determine who goes to the ACCCG, but even that is essentially impossible with our head to head loss to VT.

Our BCS ranking is and will be irrelevant. The only way it could come into play is if we ended up in a 4 way tie in our division and the tiebreaker were to fall to that to determine who goes to the ACCCG, but even that is essentially impossible with our head to head loss to VT.

Can't a team qualify for at large BCS bowl selection if they're in the top 6 of the BCS? Suppose GT ties VT for the Coastal and gets left out of the ACCCG. If GT is in the BCS top 6 wouldn't Tech be guaranteed a BCS slot?

Some of you must be really miserable people to constantly look for phantom slights to GT.

10rtxf5.jpg

You might want to read my post above. Or better yet, click on that link and see where it takes you.

Personally I think all the "The AJC hates Tech" talk is overblown, but there is definitely a bias. And you are right...too many folks spend too much time looking for it.

Some of you must be really miserable people to constantly look for phantom slights to GT.

10rtxf5.jpg

Can't a team qualify for at large BCS bowl selection if they're in the top 6 of the BCS? Suppose GT ties VT for the Coastal and gets left out of the ACCCG. If GT is in the BCS top 6 wouldn't Tech be guaranteed a BCS slot?

If you are in the top 4, you are basically an auto-qualifier if you aren't already.

If you are in the top 14 and have 9 wins, you are eligible for selection.

The only guaranteed BCS spots besides auto-bids are given to independents or non-BCS teams. I cannot see GT ever getting an at-large spot in the BCS. We just don't have the fanbase. BCS bowls will take those teams who bring in the fans and the TV ratings. Just look at Kansas and Missouri last year...everyone knew Missouri deserved the at-large spot, but Kansas got it anyway. That's just the way it is.

Edit: Yes, numbers three and four auto-qualify, but good luck being #3 or #4 and losing your conference championship game(for conferences that have one, such as the ACC).

First of all, I think my fellow fans doth protest too much.

Second, whining about the AJC is like saying the sky is blue. Surely some of you can find something better to do than be bitter about the fact that we're ranked, regardless of how it's reported?

Let the chips fall where they may. Hope that VT loses one more time and we can get to the Orange Bowl the conventional way by winning the ACCCG. Otherwise, a second loss is going to hurt our BCS ranking badly even if it's in the ACCCG, so if you want even a slim shot at the at-large bid, you better hope that both VT and GT run the table from here on out.

The only way our ranking would matter is if we don't make the ACCCG, but only have 1 loss.

The chances of us running the table are small. The chances of us running the table AND VT ALSO running the table are minuscule.

Therefore our ranking doesn't matter.

Back