AJC Garbage Claims We're #21

Ranking matters for national perception, coverage (good luck seeing non-ranked teams on SportsCenter or College Football Live), and recruiting.

Some of you must be really miserable people to constantly look for phantom slights to GT.

10rtxf5.jpg

I came back to this thread because I found the headline you point to in your post. Do yourself a favor and try to click on it. The link that headline points to is http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/10/19/georgia_BCS_rankings.html

That story is about how uga can make it into the national championship game.

Talk about being pissed at the a_c.

The only poll that matters one whit is the one that comes out at the END of the season.

Lighten up, Francis.

The only poll that matters one whit is the one that comes out at the END of the season.

Lighten up, Francis.

I see this claimed all the time on these boards like it's the gold standard, but I disagree. Rankings bring better TV coverage. Rankings catch the attention of recruits. Rankings bring more exposure. Rankings bring more rankings (e.g. if we were ranked at the start of the season we certainly would've been ranked within at least a few games of the VT loss). And the longer you're ranked, the more you can move up in the rankings by winning.

Sure, it's not the only thing that matters (I really would have been happy going 1-11 this season if the W was at Georgia), but it does matter.

Back