Ajc

Daily news papers long ago sold their soul...
Sadly most are now nothing more than ad rags with sparse 8-10 paragraph notes about something considered news worthy.
when I was a kid my parents received the paper and encouraged us to read it. It was generally a good example of proper spelling and grammar. though not always... The proofreader was an honorable profession regardless of the editorial slant of subject matter.
We could clip articles for current events in class and rarely did the teacher have to be concerned about the grammar.
When I was a young man in San Francisco there were several papers to choose from. Most provided good articles and in depth analysis not ordinarily provided by TV coverage. Over the past 20 years daily papers have become local TV news coverage in print.
In quality of product alone most modern newspapers are a miserable presentation of what once was a great industry.

I would never tell my kids to read the paper nowadays.

How is that possible? How does the AJC have the resources to continue printing if it's losing $1million a week? Does it have that much in reserve, or did it take out a loan?

How is that possible? How does the AJC have the resources to continue printing if it's losing $1million a week? Does it have that much in reserve, or did it take out a loan?

probably a combo of drawing against a credit instrument (line of credit)
plus, not paying suppliers (financing purchases through the provider)
and loans

i have no idea how they can afford it.

this figure, however, is likely to be only the balance sheet of the paper proper. they also make money printing other papers (like Creative Loafing), so perhaps they are making enough on printing for others to mitigate a significant portion of those losses

Why pay to read something tomorrow morning you can read tonight if you want to? and you don't have anything to throw away

I don't "hate" the AJC--just the bias in the sports coverage for UGAG--I'd hate to see the paper fold--been reading it many years and it is a habit I formed as a kid waiting at the paperbox to read about TECH and baseball--how times change!

The paper will most likely die out in the physical form, lay off a good amount of people, and become an internet only format.

Cox Enterprises has many media outlets that print money (i.e., broadcast tv station group, cable systems, programming networks, syndicated shows like "Entertainment Tonight"). They can afford to carry the AJC for some period of time until they figure out their online model (if they ever do). You'll recall they took the company private several years ago so they could make these type of decisions without having to answer to shareholders.

I am not kidding you when I say the urinal called me tonight with an offer I couldn't refuse. I told the guy that I would never buy that paper because of the crappy sports coverage. He went on and told me of all the great coverage they give to the pro sports teams and the nadlickers. I then told him I went and played for Georgia Tech. HE HUNG UP ON ME!

I am not kidding you when I say the urinal called me tonight with an offer I couldn't refuse. I told the guy that I would never buy that paper because of the crappy sports coverage. He went on and told me of all the great coverage they give to the pro sports teams and the nadlickers. I then told him I went and played for Georgia Tech. HE HUNG UP ON ME!

:roflmao:

Must of been the Magna Cum Laude nadlicker class of 2000--just got promoted from office boy to phone sales at the toilet paper! :laugher: :fingersx:

Free Market Speaks!

The AJC has written it's own death warrant. They try to cram their liberal view down a largely moderate to conservative audiences throat. Guess what! The public speaks with it's pocket book.

Combine that with the shift in technology and the AJC's days are numbered. I hope Cynthia Tucker, Jay Bookman, Mike Lukovich and the Nad Licker sports writers have good emergency funds. They might actually have to go out and compete in the free market economy for a living. That will be mighty tough on most of them.

Go Jackets!

Re: Free Market Speaks!

The AJC has written it's own death warrant. They try to cram their liberal view down a largely moderate to conservative audiences throat. Guess what! The public speaks with it's pocket book.

Combine that with the shift in technology and the AJC's days are numbered. I hope Cynthia Tucker, Jay Bookman, Mike Lukovich and the Nad Licker sports writers have good emergency funds. They might actually have to go out and compete in the free market economy for a living. That will be mighty tough on most of them.

Go Jackets!
Will Bark Madley be re-committed to the psych ward and T. Moore move to Indiana?:wow:

:laugher::laugher::laugher:

Announced today:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution said Wednesday it will cut its full-time news staff by about 90 people, or nearly 30 percent, to lower costs as it tries to regain profitability amid a severe revenue slump.

The company also announced it will eliminate distribution to seven more outlying counties, reducing its circulation area to 20 metro Atlanta counties, effective April 26. The cutback will pare daily and Sunday circulation by 2 percent.

The AJC’s news staff will drop to about 230 full-time positions, down from about 323 currently. Staff members with five or more years with the company will be offered voluntary buyouts, with layoffs to follow if they don’t achieve the targeted cuts, the company said.

Back