AJ's very good, just snakebit.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
AJ\'s very good, just snakebit.

Can you believe a 9 play 96 yd drive & we don't score! That's right, from our 1 to the Maryland 3 & we lose it on downs. Looking at the drive sheet & it's phenominal how we don't score. Just before that & we had a 15 play 78 yd drive from our 5 to Md's 17 & lost it on downs. That's the drive where AJ hit Thomas in the arms in the back of EZ & Thomas didn't catch it, as he was a little screened by the Safety.
AJ was 28-45 for 272 yds & 3 pts (that's hard to do). The other drives were 14 plays for 61 yds & a FG: the drive where Thomas got to the 1 but just couldn't get in. 8 for 68 with the fumble by Eziem, 7 for 56 & missed makeable FG.
Suggs does so much right until we hit the other teams 30 & then it's a struggle with our team giving the turnover, missing the 1st down, just not getting in the EZ, running plays for no gain, missing FGs, etc. The play calling is certainly suspect, but so are the players on the entire offensive team. So many chances this yr, so little points.
We're not getting blasted where there's little chance of scoring & little chance of winning. We're actually in winning position in the last coupla minutes. Maryland's the only chance of not winning with 2 mins left, but if we score when we should, GT's out in front. It's very frustrating watching this team move downfield, get close & not score.

Re: AJ\'s very good, just snakebit.

28-45 for only 270 isnt very good, thats about 5.5 per pass. He never goes downfield because he is scared to stnd in the pocket too long and when he has a man open he throws it at there feet forcing the receiver to go down without having the chance to make a big play, Its amazing how Bilbo had 3 Drive, 1 Bad, 1 where he went to midfield before being clocked and replaced by Suggs who couldnt go any farther and one more in which he scores. Bilbo has big play ability Suggs has no Ability. START BILBO NOW!

You are wrong, he does not throw it downfield because he can't. He has no arm. Overall, he had a good game on Thursday night.

It is BO'B, NOT AJ. O'B has done nothing except play us like saps. Can his b*^% now!!!

Sorry, ACE...you see a different QB than do I. THWG

A.J's number against Maryland were inflated by soft coverages after a big lead. It's not just O'Brien. Suggs simply can't throw downfield. He's made one good deep throw all year and that was against Wake Forest. Vandy blew a coverage and the receiver was so wide open I could have hit him. Against UNC he underthrew a wide open receiver but it was caught for a touchdown. Teams know the book on Suggs. Play soft intially and then tighten the coverage. Bilbo needs to be playing. Suggs is not going to get any better.

Then how do you explain all the dropped passes? Bridges surely shoulda had Bilbo's long pass (when Bilbo got hurt), Thomas shoulda had Suggs' TD pass, Logan caught 3 outta 4 & shoulda had the 4th.
How do you explain Md's Downs carrying a tackler into EZ, but we fall on the 1 or 3 or wherever & not get into EZ?
How do you explain Daniels getting stuffed on 3rd & goal from the 1? Poor play call or poor blocking or poor running?
How do you explain not going for the TD on 4th & goal from the 1, but instead kicking a FG?
How do you explain all the missed FGs? We are leaving points off the board in every game with poor placekicking.
How do you explain punting on 4th down from the opponents 43 or 38 & not going for it? No confidence in our D if we don't convert?
Is all this awful QB play? I think not!

I'm not slamming AJ but he has shown one and all that he cannot perform when the game is on the line. So many times in the Maryland game and in every game for that matter AJ would have it 3rd and long and he would throw it at or behind the line of scrimmage. Against Maryland we had the ball on the Maryland one yard line in the fourth qtr.3rd and goal and AJ fumbled the snap but Tech recovers on the 6 yd. line, then on 4th and goal AJ completes a pass behind the LOS for a two yard gain 4 yds. short of a TD. This has typified AJ's
play this entire season. To AJ's credit I think some of the blame should fall on BOB who has not taught his QB's anything, or so it seems.

I've seen AJ throw the ball down field with lot of zip. He's plenty talented. He's badly coached.

If Friedgen were still here, he would be a Heisman trophy candidate.

Dave, Placing this post in its proper perspective, Suggs and Bilbo were assessed as being better than Hall.

Not only that, but we had taken many other talented QBs and placed them in other positions because they were too talented to be sitting on the bench.

If Suggs and Bilbo are the cream of the crop of such a large group of talented QBs, then there must be some other problem. Even Camp was the number one QB from his State.

In my estimation, the Tech QBs are being coached down instead of up.

wink.gif

ahso,
Our entire team is being coached down....by possibly the worst coaching staff ever assembled in college football.

Beeware, sadly, I think you are right. I could not believe at first that it would get this bad, but I have not seen anything to disprove your point.

I wonder if 1/2Braine and Clough are getting any mail from those that count($$). I have heard that they do not care about general fans.

Ahso
Dave, Placing this post in its proper perspective, Suggs and Bilbo were assessed as being better than Hall.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Fist I am not sure I value CG's opinion of QBs. Second, I guess your point is that is why Claussen took over at UT.

AJ is an very average college QB.MAYBE with a power run game like Nebraska use to have he could prosper.In a game in which he has to "make-plays"on innovation ,he is dead.
I'm sure the coaching has poor but 3 clues from the MD game tell me where AJ is on the "winner" scale.
1.1st play of game ,we run FRidge's favorite play(talk about stupid).THE ONLY thing to be concerned with is the Def end staying on the bootleg play. IF he stays then you get rid of ball so there is NO loss. Suggs doesn't even to have the presence of mind to get rid of ball correctly(on FIRST off play of game,imagine the blur the game is later) so we end up with 15 penalty
2.We come out to run our new "option play game".AJ is so with it he pitches the ball so soon the DEf end easily throws us for a loss.So the 4 hrs of work in the off week is shot.
3.We have 3rd and 8 AGAIN and he goes back and throws for 3 yds to a falling down receiver.
And we wonder why we scored 10 pts and got beat by 24.. PLEEEEZE

Dave, no, my point was the fact we had so many great candidates for QB and Suggs/Bilbo appeared to be the best.

If that is so, then Suggs may still be a good QB, but is not receiving the right kind of coaching to be an effective QB.

wink.gif

Suggs doesnt go downfield because he is afraid to stand in the pocket because he fears being hit. Yes he doesnt have a strong arm but neither did Goose or Joe(Thats why they arent in NFL) but those guys went downfield, If we play Demarius we can make the big play.Start Bilbo NOW!

Back