Al Groh, please retire

When we blitzed from the middle, Duke picked it up for easy completions over the middle. Our D drew some really bad penalties. Our offense rolled and our receivers made some outstanding plays. Our D made the necessary clutch play to preserve the win.

Can't we all just enjoy this win? The stars were aligned against us on D this game, and we still have a W. I'll take it.

No. We struggled with Duke because we are about equal to Duke in the quality and number of athletes we have. Glad we won. Eight wins this year is phenomenal. As I have said before, if CPJ got 8 wins this year, build him a statue. So be it.
You may be right,not much difference between the tow on defense.Ole David C may end up with a good team soon since Dook does seem to be in every game.We didnt look good at all and I aint talking about the long john unis.We will play better next week.

Al Groh is not the problem. It was more of a motivational issue as well as looking forward to UGAy.

Coach gets too much credit when things go well and way too much blame when things go bad...players have to execute, tackle and get off blocks....our talent is VERY limiting right now.

Ding, ding, ding... WINNER! Boiled down to make it as easy to understand as possible.

This outcome probably sets us up better for UGA than if we'd demolished Duke. Now maybe they look past us towards LSU. Now maybe we have more motivation in practice this week. Now maybe UGA changes their game plan to throw instead of just run.

I'm glad we got the win. They converted two 4th down attempts for TDs, and we had about half a dozen almost INTs that we couldn't haul in. Every game is different, keep your fingers crossed, maybe something good happens next week.

Hopefully folks will remember that! Just because we look good/bad one week doesn't guarantee how we'll look the next.

You may be right,not much difference between the tow on defense.Ole David C may end up with a good team soon since Dook does seem to be in every game.We didnt look good at all and I aint talking about the long john unis.We will play better next week.

Mack - to many folks just look at the W/L columns in the paper and decide if a team is any good or not.

You are correct that Duke has been close in several games into the 4th quarter. If I remember they played a heck of a game against VT. I don't think VT scored at all in the 2nd half. The Duke D forced VT to punt on each possession of the 2nd half... take it for what it worth...

We have won 8 games. I said we would only win 7 and was wrong. Maybe, just Maybe we will make it 9. I have the feeling that Groh was looking a bit ahead to the mutts. Anyway, I think he will put together a good game plan for the nad-lickers.

He has no choice does he? And it will need to be a ton better than "good."

Very proud of our young men, but with our schedule we should expect to win at least 8.

If we had been focusing on D and ST for the last 3/4 years like we should, we most likely would be sitting at 10 wins right now.

True, the defense does not get off blocks. Tackling also isn't the most expert.
But Renfree threw 42 passes. He was not sacked once in more than 40 dropbacks and hurried only twice. Out of 40 some odd passing attempts (can't remember if he scrambled any).
The problem is, we can't generate enough pressure unless we bring someone out of coverage and Cutcliffe exploited that. So will Hair Boy and Bobo the dancing bear.

We had a couple different issues from time to time. Our blitzes seemed to get picked up way too easily, but in addition to that I think our most major problem was that Renfree is just a good passing QB. He got the ball out in moments on just about every snap and he was on the money pretty much all night. Cutcliffe had a pretty good game plan going in, gotta give him some credit there while you look at all our flaws.

Plus Attaouchu didn't return I think after injuring his shoulder (looked like it popped out of its socket to me so he should be good after ice and rest)

Not so fast my friend!

Coach Groh has done a masterful job of building a defense from the ground up: witness Jemea Thomas and the continued improvement of the defense throughout the season. Take away a really dumb bonehead loss of focus by Attaouchu against VT, and we're going to the ACCCG. Pass rush is clearly an issue as well as undersized ILBs for the 3-4 scheme, but CAG will fix that with recruiting. I'm not personally in love with the 3-4, but CAG is a flat-out genius with it.

Definitely need to focus on DL for recruitment. Tough to find 6-7 300lb engineers!

He has no choice does he? And it will need to be a ton better than "good."

Very proud of our young men, but with our schedule we should expect to win at least 8.

If we had been focusing on D and ST for the last 3/4 years like we should, we most likely would be sitting at 10 wins right now.
Right now, it is what it is. I will change good to great. Guess it will take great to pull out a win next Sat.

Re: Not so fast my friend!

Coach Groh has done a masterful job of building a defense from the ground up: witness Jemea Thomas and the continued improvement of the defense throughout the season. Take away a really dumb bonehead loss of focus by Attaouchu against VT, and we're going to the ACCCG. Pass rush is clearly an issue as well as undersized ILBs for the 3-4 scheme, but CAG will fix that with recruiting. I'm not personally in love with the 3-4, but CAG is a flat-out genius with it.

Definitely need to focus on DL for recruitment. Tough to find 6-7 300lb management majors!
ftfy

Renfree was getting rid of the ball pretty quickly on most plays...when we started bringing the outside blitzes at the end we were getting good pressure...plus the refs finally called a couple of holding penalties.

ramblinwise, you are now certified full-blown idiot material. quit making a joke of yourself

dukes linemen:

they are young but they are big. the easiest thing to teach is pass blocking. this is why the rush was not that effective, paired with his two good WR/TE players (the "killer Vs") that are excellent on short routes.

70 John Coleman OG 6-4 290 RSo. Florence, S.C. (West Florence)
74 Dave Harding OG 6-4 285 RSo. Orlando, Fla. (Boone)
71 Jon Needham OG 6-7 315 RSr. Melrose, Mass. (Melrose)
67 Lucas Patrick OG 6-4 305 Fr. Brentwood, Tenn. (Brentwood)
65 Cody Robinson OG 6-3 300 Fr. McMinnville, Tenn. (Warren County)
63 Robert Shofner OG 6-3 275 So. Nashville, Tenn. (Hillsboro)
77 Laken Tomlinson OG 6-3 310 RFr. Chicago, Ill. (Lane Technical)
52 Marcus Aprahamian OL 6-4 300 Fr. Brookfield, Wis. (Brookfield Central)
66 Carson Ginn OL 6-6 260 Fr. Belmont, N.C. (South Point)
51 William Perrott OL 6-2 265 Fr. Phoenix, Ariz. (Brophy Prep)
73 Takoby Cofield OT 6-4 300 RFr. Tarboro, N.C. (Tarboro)
64 Joey Finison OT 6-4 295 RSo. Greensboro, N.C. (Ragsdale)
69 Teddy Force OT 6-5 310 Jr. Lancaster, Pa. (Lampeter-Strasburg)
79 Kyle Hill OT 6-6 290 RSr. Orlando, Fla. (Boone)
72 Perry Simmons OT 6-5 300 RSo. Raleigh, N.C. (Sanderson)

Back