Al Pena we hardly knew ye (link)

Ahsoisee, add Sampson & McNair to the picture with McHargue & Pena. Sampson, McNair & McHargue were here 2 semesters & Pena only 1.
Remember Gailey's words last Feb when he couldn't get 25 LOIs;"if you keep the ones you recruit, you don't have to sign more than 20 each yr".

GT Ace, I am not concerned about about Sampson and McNair. I understand why they are gone (grades). It is only McHargue and Pena that I wonder about. As per the choices above, which one of the reasons fit their desires to leave Tech.

wink.gif

ashoisee, McHargue's was academics as well. Don't know what Pena's situation is.

Since there are no definitive, official statements re: Pena, I guess my supposition is a valid as all the rest: So all ye without GTAA verification please cease and desist:
Pena saw that there were at least 2 "Hot Shot" quarterbacks arriving this fall and he had not given a stellar performance in the Spring nor in the Spring game. These guy were "hotties" and were sure to make some noise:
Ipso facto:
Leavo!!!!!!!!
Hey, my opinion is as valid as yours at this point!!!!!

The failure of the eight players is coming more into focus the more I learn from the board and other souces.

It appears the administration has changed the landscape of academics and the student athlete.

It also seems feasable some of the prior recruits many have been marginal and some cannot handle the load without the benefit of the old system propping them up.

Okay, I may not like the above, but I am getting a picture of what has happened. At least I understand the underlyining catalyst that caused the above problem.

It is unclear if the administration is willing to modify the present tutoring system. If not, there will probably be more casualties.

The situation I do not understand at this particular time is the fact of McHargue and Pena leaving. I am awaiting the facts from these two loses to shed some light on their departure.

Some possibilities are:

1. they see the handwriting on the wall regarding the academic situation, want to get out of the situation immediately, and lose as little time as possible in an impossible academic situation,

2. they see the loss of the eight players to academics, feel this will weaken the team, see despair on the horizon, and want to get out immmediately to jump on with another college,

3. possibly some other schools have contacted them through local sources and have convinced them GT is in deep do-do with the academic program,

4. they do not like Gailey as a coach and want out,

5. they are upset because they did not flourish as well as expected during Spring Practice,

6. they do not want to be at a school where the fans do not support the coach and team,

7. they just plain do not want to be part of a program with a lot of bickering and have chosen to get out of the program early.

It could be any or all of the above items, but these are the two player losses that pique my curiosity at this particular time. The reasons these players have left may be the real key to problems with the football program.

Of course, there will be some with an agenda, who will jump on this and claim it is the coach, which is possible, but rumors and innuendos don't count.

confused.gif

TIAR,B Thanks, I had not heard that. I had read he just quit and went home and never heard the reason.

smile.gif

Back