All is not as bad as it seems..................

2 Big Techsticles

Flats Noob
FWIW, I drew some harsh criticism for my season outlook a few months ago with my (tongue in cheek) prediction of a 3-9 season.

For the BYU game, I predicted our players would be victims of Altitude by being out of shape, our special teams would be simply awful, our kids might quit, and that our coaches are incapable of making adjustments.

Maybe I missed it but I don't recall any cramping up. Sure, we were tired defensively late but when the other team runs 79 offensive plays to our 40 something, that's going to happen every time. Our boys did NOT quit. I know they're expected not too but based on the fact that many who did quit last year in Athens are still on the team, this is a building block for the beginning of something much better to come.

I saw many, many positives last night. Our kicking game is much better than I thought. (We blocked the punt, not them) Higgins first punt was a boomer. He later hit a low-liner that hurt us but I don't think that's going to be the norm.
Dan's kicks were strong and consistent. He hit two field goals whereas career-wise he was 0-2 coming in.

Scott's mistake on the kick return that handcuffed our first drive in the second half is a learning experience that he'll likely never repeat. The fumbling by our backs/receivers can be corrected.

The game plan (at least for a half) was solid. The halftime adjustments (if there were any) were questionable once again but I don't want to start bashing the staff nor do I feel any bashing this early is warranted.

I'm estactic about Reggie's potential. He will learn to look for other targets other than Smith but since Smith was open for much of the night, you can't blame him for not spreading the passes around.

PJ runs hard. As the offense becomes more balanced (and I believe it will) his numbers and value to the team will rise.

There IS such a thing as a good 0-1 and a bad 0-1. Though we all would prefer to be 1-0, I feel the positives outweigh the negatives.

Auburn won't be throwing the ball as much as BYU. In my prediction for that game, I said that 3 Auburn backs might each go for 100 yds rushing. However, the 'D' showed me enough last night to make me believe we might be able to hold our own with the talented Tigers much longer than I had originally thought. Depending on their outcome with Southern Cal and their injury situation, I give us a fighting chance whereas I saw no chance back in July.

Either way, I'm looking forward to being there!

I agree. I was very impressed with Ball. He showed a tremendous amount of poise, maturity, sound decision making, and ability. He will be our best QB historically by the time he is done.

I thought our defense looked good considering we kept them on the field all night. They were not physically dominated by any stretch.

How many of you would have picked Tech to win if you knew going in that we would lose three fumbles and BYU would lose none?

Originally posted by Douglas Boomer:
I agree. I was very impressed with Ball. He showed a tremendous amount of poise, maturity, sound decision making, and ability. He will be our best QB historically by the time he is done.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess he is a shoo-in for a Heisman then, since we have had two QB's be runner up for that award.

We have something special developing here. I just hope it doesnt take to long.
drinking.gif

I believe BYU is much better than most of you want to give them credit for. Especially their passing game and also considering they lost their first string runningback during warmups which had to change their gameplan to a degree. That said, I thought Reggie Ball did a very nice job with what he had to go with gameplan wise. I believe Reggie could have done more and was handcuffed by poor playcalling and gameplan. Also Reshaun Grant could have sparked the running game. The fumbles have to stop and the offense has to be opened up. BYU was not scared of our offense. That is why they continued to go for it on 4th down. That point can't be overlooked. I was pleased with the defense. I think Gerris Wilkerson and Eric Henderson make a fine pair of defensive ends. The effort was there. I don't think Tony Hargrove could have done more but he would have been a nice backup. I thought Wilkerson did that well. Chan Gailey says Reggie Ball came in to camp knowing the offence so he has to cut him loose and let him make plays. Reggie has to be allowed to WIN the game. Chan Gailey's gameplan was one of being scared of losing instead of trying to win.

I disagree. BYU was an undisciplined team with very little speed. I doubt they win more than four games this year.

It now looks as though if we lose either of the Duke, Vandy or Wake games Gailey will be gone.

I don't even want to think about how we try to stop Auburn. Tech has always been undersized across the defensive front, but this season takes the cake. To couple that, the offense, without a running game, adds to their pressure.

This is promising to get ugly.

Don't go overboard, Gramps. I thought Ball and Smith had great games all considering. Chan has to turn Ball loose more and get him on the corner, he can't just drop him back to throw 5 yards to the TE/WR.

Our other wide receivers looked awful. Nate Curry has got to bounce back. The Oline played only fair. The D played very well in the first half but looked tired and just wouldn't step up and make a play in the second half, on their heels. I liked the pass rush in the 1H.

Give BYU credit, they made halftime adjustments and very well executed the dump offs over the middle on the blitzes with perfection in the 2nd half. Our LB's underneath coverage was not very good. Landry, the new safety, got burned badly for the TD and a couple of other times and played out of control emotionally. He's got to do better and he will, first game at that position.

The Kenny Scott messup on the kickoff really hurt us too. True freshman returning kickoffs.... should be a lot better as season goes.

Don't panic folks, we know its not going to be pretty but these guys need time to improve.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
I disagree. BYU was an undisciplined team with very little speed. I doubt they win more than four games this year.

It now looks as though if we lose either of the Duke, Vandy or Wake games Gailey will be gone.

I don't even want to think about how we try to stop Auburn. Tech has always been undersized across the defensive front, but this season takes the cake. To couple that, the offense, without a running game, adds to their pressure.

This is promising to get ugly.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Father Wasp: We disagree on BYU. Who cares, right? What we care about is Tech, and I to a certain point I agree with you on our chances. If Chan Gailey comes back with that gameplan again....well Duke and Vanderbilt will be tossups and defeating Wake would be an upset. Reggie Ball and Reshaun Grant have to be cut loose. Grant has got some Tony Hollings in him. I guarantee you that. When I saw their scrimmage I reported that Reshaun Grant was the most im pressive back. And get Damarius Bilbo in the game! If anything just to show us Tech fans and his players his word about getting his best athletes in the game is good.

I can't say things were all that great. I think BYU got screwed with the officiating. I know there will always be a couple of questionable calls, but the refs sure gave Tech some big breaks that actually gave us an opportunity to win.

BYU's star running back, Whalen, got injured during warm up and he's a horse. The defeat would have been so much worse if BYU didn't have to rely on their young RBs. BYU really spread the ball around and kept us on our toes.

BYU probably doesn't get all the credit that they deserve. Besides Notre Dame (different story altogether), BYU is the best college football team outside of a BCS conference. During the halftime show, Trev Albert simply said, "BYU is bad." If that's the case, then what does that make us? I don't understand the bias.

As far as our image is concerned, hopefully BYU has a great season. Their fans are hoping for the same as well.

I'm impressed with Ball. His foot speed is a definite weapon and he showed a lot of poise out there. Lots of promise there. Gailey needs to turn him loose!

Back