An SEC School That Should Seriously Consider Joining The ACC Is...

wdestinger

Varsity Lurker
Its called ego and loyalty. Something some of these schools should learn to have. Judging by how everyone is acting they should officially change 'conferance' to corporation in all the titles.

I dont think florida has any need to come the ACC, imagine having you arch rival have 11 conferance crowns to none---- that by itself would really suck for them.

Actually it's not really about loyalty for UF.

UF has the largest athletic budget in the SEC and
requires six home games.

There's also a certain preference for not scheduling the best competition for their teams.

UF is focused on number of wins, not quality of wins.

Right now, they are king of the hill in the SEC, no reason nor motivation to leave.(their view, not mine)

I don't like UF personally and regard them as a rogue school, but even they wouldn't leave the SEC. This expansion does not automatically place the ACC into that category - but its a huge first step. Only time will tell. Miami and F$U MUST be put into the same division or else this will not help the conference as much as anticipated.

Let me back up, I wouldn't regard UF as a rogue school, since the threat of the death penalty in the late 80's, they've ran a clean ship. Whatever else I might think of them, I do believe Jeremy Foley is an excellent AD. But the image left by Spurrier and its less than hospitable fans, UF is in sharp contrast to the more genteel ACC.

What about UK? But really no school in their right mind would leave the SEC for the ACC.

I would think USC would be the most likely to join. They have a decent Basketball program, a great Baseball program, and Clemson would then become a conference game in Football, which would free up a game for an out of conference opponent. They draw 80,000 every home game, even during losing seasons.
The "in conference" thing is kinda why I would like to be back in the same conference, SEC or not, with UGAg. The rivalry then becomes a conference game, freeing up a game for out of conference. As it is now, UGAg will always be one of our out of conference games which limits our ability to pick up several interesting matchups from around the country. Florida is also severly limited by not being in conference with FSU and Miami, as is Penn State to Pitt.

Auburn and Alabama have the favorable "in conference" setup, as do Michigan/Michigan State, Oregon/Oregon State, Washington/Washington State, Texas/Texas A&M, NC/NC State, Miss/Miss State and USC/UCLA. It is asinine (to me) that Tech and UGAg are so full of their own pride that they cannot even see the advantage of being in conference rivals again and making it happen.

UF. With Miami and FSU in the conference, that would make their games huge. Also, the 12th team does not need to be a small market like VT and Puke, I like East Carolina's football program but that's about all I like about ECU. Southern Miss is in the same boat as VT. I hope the ACC brass has an ace up their sleeve and we will all be pleasantly surprised at the 12th team. And finally, I hope UNC and Duke get beat like a pure ole rented mule this fall, I hope we are in the position to stomp the crap out of both of them.
South Georgia Jacket

Back