Analysis of GT/Iowa Total D/PPG

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
Not sure I pasted this right, (EDIT: Never mind the chart)...

... but if our O and the Iowa D both hold to season's average, we should put up 365 yards and 23 points in the game. The minimum would be 204 yards and 12 points, and the maximum would be 472 yards and 39 points.

We have only held held under an opponent's season's average in yardage once (Miami: -93), and under an opponent's season average in scoring twice (Miami: -5 and UGAg: -2).

However, 5 of the last 6 games we've been over our season average total offense. But only 3 of the last 6 games we've been over our season average scoring.

7 of our 12 D1A games we've been over our season average total offense, but only 5 of those 12 games have we been over our season average scoring.

Our trend lately has been more yards, but less scoring. This is somewhat troubling to me, as I believe this plays into the hands of that Iowa D.

I have an Excel chart that breaks it down. Anyone tell me how to import an Excel chart? If so, I'll post it later.

Last edited:
Not sure I pasted this right, (EDIT: Never mind the chart)...

... but if our O and the Iowa D both hold to season's average, we should put up 365 yards and 23 points in the game. The minimum would be 204 yards and 12 points, and the maximum would be 472 yards and 39 points.

We have only held held under an opponent's season's average in yardage once (Miami: -93), and under an opponent's season average in scoring twice (Miami: -5 and UGAg: -2).

However, 5 of the last 6 games we've been over our season average total offense. But only 3 of the last 6 games we've been over our season average scoring.

7 of our 12 D1A games we've been over our season average total offense, but only 5 of those 12 games have we been over our season average scoring.

Our trend lately has been more yards, but less scoring. This is somewhat troubling to me, as I believe this plays into the hands of that Iowa D.

I have an Excel chart that breaks it down. Anyone tell me how to import an Excel chart? If so, I'll post it later.

I think this is a result of our strategy to dominate the time of possession stats. We do this to lessen the number of attempts the opposing offense has to hurt our thin defense.

Coach Johnson is much more selective as to when he goes for the quick score than he was earlier in the season. However, if he thinks we have a big advantage by extending the game, then he will go for more quick strikes.

What you need to take a look at is what that looks like compared to other teams. For all we know, beating your average score 5 times in 12 games is above average.

Back