And here's what happens next ...

I thought he used the ground along with his leg to secure the ball. It was really close and there was definitely not enough evidence to say conclusively either way, but I thought they got it right after watching several times. It certainly wasn't the awful call many on here seem to think it was, in my opinion.

Yeah it looked more like a sure catch on the video board, a little more iffy on the replay.

In the end, the ball hit him in his hands, both hands were on the football before it hit the ground and he maintained possession with both hands around the ball for the entirety of the catch.

If the call went the other way there'd probably be a lot less butthurt in here right now.

Again, can't blame it all on one thing but that really was a killer call after a lucky play.

I think that early 4th down offsides that gave Duke a first down when they were about to punt was the one main play that cost us the game. Instead of us getting the ball back to possibly go up 2 scores, Duke scores a TD, gets the lead, their players get hope, and we get a player ejected to boot.

I wanna choke that öööö kid who jumped offsides.

Hopefully we can start another winning streak next week. 9-1 going into Clemson would still be pretty öööö sweet.

I thought he used the ground along with his leg to secure the ball. It was really close and there was definitely not enough evidence to say conclusively either way, but I thought they got it right after watching several times. It certainly wasn't the awful call many on here seem to think it was, in my opinion.

Yeah it looked more like a sure catch on the video board, a little more iffy on the replay.

In the end, the ball hit him in his hands, both hands were on the football before it hit the ground and he maintained possession with both hands around the ball for the entirety of the catch.

If the call went the other way there'd probably be a lot less butthurt in here right now.

Again, can't blame it all on one thing but that really was a killer call after a lucky play.

All the fair weather fans disappear from the stands, and fill up the Internet with bullshit rants about:

coaching
talent
The Hill

today the Gods were not in our favor. What's worse is how easily a loss loses favor with "fans".

... and the beat goes on ...
The fair weather fans didn't even make it out today. Awful attendance for a 5-0 team

You wanna know why fan support is where it is here. Because every time you think the team could do something to make you walk to work with a little pep in your step, this happens. Getting ranked is a curse at GT.

Unfortunately, this squares with my experience as a fan :frown:

It's just dumb that Tech scheduled fall break on the weekend if a home game. Lot of students out of town...

FWIW we always request road games on fall break weekend, we just didnt get it those year. Fall break is scheduled first.

this game is so frustrating. It's like everything bad that could happen happened. öööö went wrong starting with that offsides call after we made a big stop. Result: 7 points and another bullshit penalty that gets Griffin out of the game. Then Dukes next scoring drive they get a bullshit PI call that allows their next 7 points. Then we get ööööed with that incomplete pass to Smelter.

The refs completely screwed us with this game. This game would be much different without those calls. That's 14 points. Even with that said, good teams area able to overcome that. We were still in a position to win before that first interception, and even after it, and we couldn't do it.
Are you saying that at 6-1 we are not good?

And offsides on a punt, and bad run defense, and unable to finish in the red zone on offender. All around outplayed today. There were definitely a few iffy calls but to put the loss on the refs today is a sore loser mentality.

Still a very good start to the season.

I'm not blaming the refs totally for the loss but the penalties that keep drives alive after a stop totally deflate the defense. You don't know how good the defense would have played the rest of the game if this isn't happening and frustrating them. It's very hard to "coach up" a defense that makes a stop and then you have to tell them to go do it again because of a BS call. It's totally different to get a BS pass interference call on first or second down but on 3rd after you've made a defensive stand it is very deflating. I knew after the targeting call that defense would have trouble the rest of the day. First 4 possessions for Puke we made the stop. Two of those ended up in TD's for them. Granted one was the WTF offsides on the punt, but either way, they should have had 0 points at halftime.

we were not complaining much after 2 wks of crap QBs who through the game away to us--lots of things went our way in those games
we had a hangover--simple, didn't play good enough

Let's see if we have any hair on our a--,this will be a TOUGH TOUGH game esp for our DEF

Yeah these guys just dropped the opportunity of their lifetime. They still can reclaim it but it will take all they got and a good bit of luck to pull it off now.

We will see what they are made of now.

Go Jackets!

I think the effort was there, but the focus was not. JT missed two consecutive reads in the redzone on first and second down on the first drive. He wasn't the only one, Demond on that 3rd and forever he gave up, the kid who lined up offsides on the punt and on and on and on.

It's what happens after super charged emotional games and then having an opponent you've owned come in.

There were about 7 big calls that went Duke's way in the game - I recall one big one that went our way. Their offense was stopped twice but drives kept alive by penalty on their first two touchdowns. My irrational and biased explanation is that we belong to a conference that will always give the benefit of the doubt calls to a NC team over us. If we were playing late in the year with a chance to make the four team playoff and Wake, Duke, NCSU or UNC were 2-8 playing against us that day, I am 100% convinced if there was any bias, it would favor the team from the Old North State. Lucky Maryland.

I'm not blaming the refs totally for the loss but the penalties that keep drives alive after a stop totally deflate the defense. You don't know how good the defense would have played the rest of the game if this isn't happening and frustrating them. It's very hard to "coach up" a defense that makes a stop and then you have to tell them to go do it again because of a BS call. It's totally different to get a BS pass interference call on first or second down but on 3rd after you've made a defensive stand it is very deflating. I knew after the targeting call that defense would have trouble the rest of the day. First 4 possessions for Puke we made the stop. Two of those ended up in TD's for them. Granted one was the WTF offsides on the punt, but either way, they should have had 0 points at halftime.
It seems like, when things like this happen in a game, instead of coaches wasting time arguing with refs, etc., it would be better to burn a timeout and get the kids' heads back in the game (especially in the first half when timeouts aren't quite so precious). Calm them down, get rid of the emotions, and just go back out and play the game. I know I was so mad I couldn't see straight a few times during the game. I'm sure it was influencing the players, too.

Back