Andy Demetra - Football Announcing

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Has this guy been discussed? I was in Minneapolis this weekend visiting my sister and the WatchESPN feed was blacked out on my phone due to my Verizon account being from an ACC market (DC). So while I was waiting for my buddy to send me his login info so I could get the feed I tuned into the radio stream to listen to the game. Thoroughly unimpressed. I guess take it with a grain of salt, as it was a frustrating game so I wouldn't have really enjoyed the call from anybody. But he was doing a terrible job IMHO.

- He rarely gives both the down/distance before a play. He usually gives the down, but I was left trying to do the math on previous plays to figure out the distance frequently. Which isn't always easy to remember. He'd say "3rd and long" a lot with giving the actual distance.

- His play call is useless. He essentially announces who has the ball at the snap (run/pass) and then not much until the end of the play. For example "Hood gets the carry, turns it to the sideline... (waiting to find out if he got strung out or busted it up the sideline) ...and he's pushed OOB at the 43." Seriously? You can't describe the fact that there was a hole and he had space in front of him (granted we should have been assuming there was space in front of him after the first few possessions). You can't have some inflection in your voice on plays that are going for long yardage?

- A couple of time he mentioned something like "UNC at the 44" without adding who's side of the field it was on. Kind of important when trying to figure out if they can get into FG range without getting a 1st down.

Overall he announced the game like a TV announcer who knew you were watching the game while they were talking. It was the first time I've ever been happier listening to the TV announcers (once I got the log in) rather than the Tech announcer. Bedford is a bright spot - he adds a lot with stories and has just the right amount of homerism. But I miss Gaudin.

I'm sure all 10 people listening on the radio are upset

Haven't listened to him but that was a concern brought up during his hiring - he's a basketball guy.

The internet radio call lags 30 seconds to a minute behind the game.
Hmmm, Icouldn't figure out who to get sound on my ACC ap, so I listened to the radio through my phone. The radio was a full play ahead of the ACC.Com.

And I have to admit, the original poster was correct.

Radio play by play is a lost art. Listened to the Braves radio guys a couple of times this season and they were doing the same type of thing. Calling it like you were watching. Hopefully he gets a few pointers. I remember Wes' call against Vandy "BALL IS LOOSE!!" Total heart attack.

I think he has done just fine. He has had to cover a lot of ground in a short time

He is young and hopefully can grow with a new coach that is not so snarky.

The internet radio call lags 30 seconds to a minute behind the game.
If you have a DVR you can delay the TV broadcast to sync the two. This is my preferred method for televised games so I guess I've never noticed Andy leaving out details not readily available to TV viewers.

If you have a DVR you can delay the TV broadcast to sync the two. This is my preferred method for televised games so I guess I've never noticed Andy leaving out details not readily available to TV viewers.
You are absolutely correct. My jacksss friends from other places text during the game - and they're ahead. Unlike the defense

You are absolutely correct. My jacksss friends from other places text during the game - and they're ahead. Unlike the defense

Don't need DVR. The radio broacast is usually 2-3 seconds ahead and if you pause it briefly and play it back, it will sync up with TV broadcast.

I think he has done just fine. He has had to cover a lot of ground in a short time

He is young and hopefully can grow with a new coach that is not so snarky.
We're getting a new coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listen to games on satellite sometimes when I'm driving around. Many announcers and especially sideline guys are awful homers like Munson was. The TAMU and Oklahoma announcers were just terrible.

Demetra's, uh, serviceable I guess. The best part of the GT broadcast is Sean Bedford, who has some authority to speak about our offense. Demetra's worse than Gaudin but not as bad as many radio guys. The only thing that grates me about Demetra is how he falls back on cliches though that's true of most announcers.

I listen to games on satellite sometimes when I'm driving around. Many announcers and especially sideline guys are awful homers like Munson was. The TAMU and Oklahoma announcers were just terrible.

Agree! There are a bunch of bad announcers on radio. You could also include TV.

Back