Another Alabama football team has problems:

Thanks, IM79, that's a heckuva story. You have to wonder what the parents were thinking- a 15-year-old off at college by herself. That doesn't excuse wrongs done by others, still it was pretty stupid.

That's a frightening story for sure. I hope this girl's life becomes straightened out one day.

this is a microcosm of what is wrong in the south. Education takes a backseat to sports programs. The quality of H.S. education in some southern states is horrible, but those same schools continually field competitive sports programs.

I think that if your h.s. does not perform to certain minimal levels they should remove the sports from the school. It totally sends the wrong message.

If the rumor would have been about a fraternity they would have investigated the hell out of it.

Instead it was the FOOTBALL program so they turned the other cheek. In the jurisdiction where I practice (west atlanta) all of those 22 players would be looking at prison sentences of over 5 years (that they would serve). Statutory rape is punishable up to 20 years.

I had a case where the girl told the judge that she pursued the guy and the judge gave hime 10 years in prison and by law he has to do 90% of that and he is now a convicted sex offender.

Law,

I'm no lawyer. But if these guys did what this article alleges, I hope they get the maximum punishment our judicial system can dish out.

Indeed a tragic story. Parents today have to be ever on the alert to the perils surrounding their children.

Many times, the parents want their kids to enjoy too many material things in life or want their kids to be overly successful.

The best possible thing you can do for your kids is to teach them discipline, wisdom, respect, and restraint.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Harrowing story for me. My wife and I have two very young ones and read stories like this with many stomach-churning feelings. Are we training our kids right? Can we prevent horrible things from happening? Can we handle them if they do happen?

All of these things push us to instill what we believe to be the right values in our children, and let God take care of the rest. We can only hope that what we are doing is right, and that our kids understand what is right and wrong.

I hope this young person can rebuild her life and get past what must be an incredibly difficult reality for her and her family.

Originally posted by Aiken Jacket:
Harrowing story for me. My wife and I have two very young ones and read stories like this with many stomach-churning feelings. Are we training our kids right? Can we prevent horrible things from happening? Can we handle them if they do happen?

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I imagine this girl had many emotional problems prior to this incident. The article talks about her being in a hurrry.

Well I wanted to drive when I was 13 y/o but there were rules against it.

The fact that such a young girl was living on campus speaks for itself.

The article also talks about the parents ignoring some warning signs.

It is clear that her parents made some HUGE mistakes and decided to let their teen daughter raise herself b/c she had a high I.Q.

When you put someone in such a tough situation you have to be hypersensitive to potential problems.

It reminds of when that 12 y/o girl was trying to be the youngest to fly cross country and her plane crashed and she, her father, and pro pilot all died.

*All of my observations have nothing to do with the criminal behavior of the athletes. The girl's parents failing have nothing to do with their crimes.

This has little to do with the original topic, but are some noted observations that might be helpful to those raising children.

I have raised two daughters and a son and have eight grandchildren. I have watched, intently, as each one of them grew and developed.

Look at the people around you daily in all walks of life. Some follow the rules and try to do the right things, while others will try to get away with anything they can.

At work, notice the boss has to discipline some employess while others need practically no discipline. Children are just like this, only younger. All three of my children are different and have reacted differently, although all were from the same parents and same basic invironment.

Watch them carefully and determine their characteristics. Do not withhold discipline when they need it, but make sure each child knows he is being disciplined because you love him and want him to be the best he can be.

You cannot love a child without giving him necessary discipline. You cannot discipline a child unless you let him know you truly love him. Discipline must be meted with love.

When your children get older and want to spend the night with other children, insist on talking with the parents of the other children to insure things are as the child says.

I had one daughter who was extremely disciplined and would strive to do no wrong. Since both daughters had the same upbringing, I assumed the second daughter would be as strong as the first, and I was not as alert as I should have been.

She tells us now (grown with teenagers) she wanted to spend the night with one of her school friends. The only problem, the other girl would tell her mother the same. Since our family and the friend's family were considered decent people, neither of us checked with the other parent.

Instead, the two girls would spend the night with an older girl and go driving around the area looking for excitement. Luckily, she never got into any real trouble, but the potential was great for the same.

My son was somewhere in between the two daughters. He was a good kid with pretty good restraint, but he could have easily been killed by some of the bad decisions he made with some of his friends racing their autos on some of the back roads of the local township.

We did not know all of this until they were grown and began to tell us of these things. We raised them in the Church and taught them honesty and integrity at home. All three are very good citizens with very good morals, but two of them could have gotten into serious trouble because of their associations.

I have observed the lives of friends in the local Church and the results of some of their parenting. I have seen some good results and some very bad results from parenting. The worst case scenarious were those parents bringing their children up in the Church, but failing to discipline them in the home or at Church.

My observation was the parents were Sunday attendees, but the rest of the time, their actions were more toward material gains and good times. I think it sent a wrong signal to their children. Many times, it resulted in disastrous events for the kids and the families.

Extremely Important: Make sure your personal life is the same at Church, home and work. Your life is a bouy or lighthouse to your children. You cannot teach them one way and live another. A bouy or lighthouse must always be in the same place to be effective. A child trying to tie his life to a moving target will have a very difficult time.

Some parents will cheat on Income Taxes, business dealings, sell a car with a faulty motor to another person without divulging the fault, sell other damaged goods, steal things from work, etc., and then pretend to be good Christians. That is a disaster waiting to happen in their children who are watching the hypocrisy.

Also Important: A child must have discipline. It is not only helpful, it is a necessity. If a parent does not correct and discipline a child, it sends a signal to the child that the parent does not care what he does. I have had kids tell me their parents don't care what they do, as long as their parents don't have to spend time with them.

Also Important: It is essential for a parent to monitor the friends of their children. A parent should be alert to the characteristics of their children's associations. Check on the characteristics of their friends and their friend's parents.

Any bad influences should be avoided or controlled by close supervision at your home and not their friend's home. Bad influences can have a devastating effect on some of the best kids.

Your kids are watching and observing every move you make. Are you trying to be the best person you can be, or are you placing all of your emphasis on material things. What signals are you sending to your kids. "A good name is to be chosen, rather than great riches".

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

ahso,
At least your daughter was just out looking for excitement. Just think about it, she could have been out working on a 'one-world government'!?!?
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

BeeWare, she is aware of the situation. She is very active in her Church and has read many of the books I have given to her for reading.

I know she has read all of the books in the "Left Behind" series. She also works for a bank, so she is aware of the coming cashless society.

Another interesting situation is taking place up here in the mountains. I have sold my home to an older couple from Savannah, Georgia.

He is retiring from an important job with the local newspapers across the Southeast. He is moving to the North Georgia Mountains, because it is a safety haven. He is looking for a safe place to live.

Maybe he knows more than I know about the future. I am moving back around Jackson, Georgia because the wife wants to be near all of our children and grandchildren. I am sure you have heard the old saying, "If Mom is unhappy, everybody is unhappy. If Dad is unhappy, who cares?".

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Bugboy, I wish I had listened to my Dad more. I listened to him quite a lot and avoided a lot of the pitfalls, but would have avoided more if I had listened better.

The older I became, the more I realized how much smarter my Dad was than I had originally thought.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

ahso,
You still crack me up.
I can just imagine you as a proud dad playing with your children; but, instead of mildly scaring them by playing 'peek-a-boo' you probably scared the daylights out them by playing 'peek-a-one-world-government'!!!!!!

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Beeware,

I'll bet he got that "one-world" nonsense from that lousy, rotten, stinkin' Chan Gailey. Man, that guy (Chan) really gets under my skin.
rolleyes.gif

Interesting comment by Coach 'Buck' Gailey in the Athlon ACC pre-season magazine.

"My job is to be head coach and do head coach things".

Or to paraphrase.....I always wanted to be a head coach and now I 'are' one!!!

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

In 'Buck' We Trust.

Ahso,

When I was growing up (the 70's and early 80's), my Dad had to discipline me repeatedly. I had friends whose parents let them do anything they wanted and I was jealous. But now I'm appreciative of how my Dad treated me. He was willing for me to dislike him as long as I respected him. As a result, I did respect him and still do to this day.

Back