Another Article on Dwyer...

TheTaxJacket

Dodd-Like
Well really it's a blog by a fan, but I think it's clear most Steeler's fans have given up JD ever playing a meaningful snap of football for the Steelers.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/08/jonathan-dwyer-sighting/

" With the news of Maurkice’s ascendency, and Mork Florio’s absurd theory turning out true*, I lost track of Dwyer. Primarily because reports had him packing on 20 pounds before training camp, cloud-watching at practice, no-showing in limited snaps against the Lions, and then coming up lame the last week in Latrobe before missing the Giants get-together."

It does say that he has been flying under the radar over the last week or so and maybe doing well in camp. It sounds like he'll get some good snaps in Sunday against the Broncos.

Mike Tomlin cut Isaac Redman last year because he was fat and out of shape showing up to camp even though he did well in preseason, since it appears Dwyer is on that very same sad path, do you guys think anything he does now will be too little too late? Will he just be lucky and fortunate to make the practice squad at this point?

Me? I am going with the latter. I think it's too late for him to play much if at all this year. IMO, nothing short of the planets coming in perfect alignment with one another tells me he'll make the team this year.

I hate to say that, but it's one thing for a veteran to come to camp out of shape, but it's totally different for a rook to do it, and it's not a good difference.

Kind of a shame. I have no idea why he wasn't and still isn't trying to manage his weight. I would think he realizes he has to, since he's getting paid for it now.

Unless he flat breaks out in the next 10 days in a BIG way, he's destined for the scout team. Which, with Buffalo's woes at RB and the presence of one Chan Gailey, means that he will be taken by Buffalo on the waiver wire before he has a chance to make it to Pitt's PS, and have the chance to play with Spiller.

it might be a good thing for JD to go to ANOTHER team. And a buffalo winter might be just the wakeup call he needs to salvage his career.

and yes I do mean SALVAGE his career, b/c the next 18 months will determine whether JD plays any in the NFL. He has to get AND KEEP his body in perfect shape year round. He has to START OUTWORKING his peers.

He should probably go hang out with Tashard Choice. TC has two of the best backs in the NFL ahead of him however he not only figured a way to get playing time he has become the dedicated 3rd down back.

Tashard also has given Dallas the perspective that they NEED him. Maybe TC is a better player than JD but I suspect the real difference is work-ethic.

JD showed his amazing raw talent from day 1 at GT. TC is a damn good back too, but if JD had TC's work ethic and kept himself in top form and focused, I think JD would be clearly an over all better back.

Back