Another Fair-weathered Dawg example

deacjacket

Varsity Lurker
I glanced a sports page in the restroom right before the game Saturday and a Bulldawg fan ribbed me, "Anything in there about Duke?"

So, pointing to a picture of Felton, I came back with "No, but there's something about your cheating basketball program."

Which the guy actually replied, "Well, in basketball I'm more a Tech fan."

It really brought back memories of the 80's when many fair-weathered fans rooted Georgia in football and Tech in basketball.

I don't know about you, but I have less respect for such fans. Real tough to cherry pick the winners and not stay loyal to one family/institution/etc.

Deacjacket, most people want to be with the in-crowd and want to appear cool, so they associate themselves with the winning team.

Since UGA has been dominant in football lately, most non-alumni fans tend to align with UGA. Since Tech was dominant in basketball for awhile, many of the non-alumni UGA fans crossed over to align themselves with Tech's basketball team.

Back when Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd coached successfully, the quantity of dawg fans in the State was decidely smaller. There were a lot more of the non-alumni fans pulling for Tech than there is today.

Father Time

Very true. I'm a high school teacher and most teenagers in recent years wore FSU/Tennessee stuff. Tech and UGA were about equal during the O'Leary years.
The last two years, UGA has become the most popular team (decidedly). I call it "the Chicago Bulls Syndrome". Remember when Bulls garb was all over the place?

Back