Another Fringe Benefit of Having a Great Football Season

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
This will only be of interest to a very few, if any, people. But, to me, it's a big deal.

I was born in 1950. For Christmas of 1961, one of my presents was the APBA Baseball Game. Ever since then, APBA sports games have been my hobby.

In the past few years, APBA has produced a set of elite college teams. However, they have never produced a Georgia Tech team.

Today, APBA announced that its college set of 12 teams for the 2014 season will include our Yellow Jackets, along with the other 11 teams that played in the New Year's Six Bowls.

APBA allows you to set up and play your own season. Teams perform very close to the way they did in real life. Everything is based on statistics. Every Tech player who appeared in three or more games will get his own card, which will contain a series of numbers allowing that player, and the entire team, to reproduce actual performance characteristics.

The set is supposed to be available in March. I plan to play a round robin 11 game season for all 12 teams. I will keep all statistics for every team and player during this project.

This will be what would have happened if, at the end of the season, the 12 teams in the New Year's Six Bowls had played an 11 game schedule against each other, with the winner being crowned the National Champion.

It probably sounds boring to you, but it's really exciting to me. If anybody wants to keep up with my project, just let me know, and I'll e-mail the game results every time I finish a week of play.

If you're interested in getting the APBA football game and this set, just look up APBA sports games on the computer. By the way, APBA was founded in the early fifties by a man in Pennsylvania, but a few years ago a man from Georgia bought it, and APBA is now headquartered in Atlanta.

Well, this is just another fringe benefit of our team's great season, and it brings more recognition for Tech. Best of all for me, playing this stat-based project will really help pass the 27 weeks or 190 days between this Thursday and when, in those immortal words of Al Ciraldo, "toe meets leather" on the field to start the 2015 campaign.

Thanks to Coach Johnson, his staff, our players, and APBA, Tech football will now be a year round source of excitement, surprises and enjoyment for Jacket fans with the APBA game and this set of cards.

Player cards in a for-sale product? Couldn't NCAA sue over that, like with the EA sports lawsuit? :turbonoes:

in any case I hope we win the MAPBANC

I grew up playing with my dad's APBA MLB sets. He had the all-time players as well (Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, etc). I've never played an APBA football set though.

It would be of some interest to compare your results with those that TIAs predictor spits out...(if he were able and willing to run those scenarios)

I used to play some table-top sports simulation games in the mid-to-late 70s like Superstar Baseball (originally published by SI), Football Strategy, Challenge Football and Paydirt (an Avalon Hill version of an original SI football game). I even tried to make my own card-based football game while I was in highschool.

Not sure why, but the APBA games were not prominent in our neighbourhood. I think the card set would make a great collectible regardless :biggthumpup:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is APBA? American Pall Bearer's Association? Cause we're sending other teams to the grave?

Born in 1944, played APBA MLB baseball and APBA NFL football for years, I'd love to turn my three grandsons onto the game, which can be played while drinking Belvedere on the lanai, so it doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks for the input, I'll start getting the game(s) organized forthwith, much appreciated ... :biggthumpup::biggthumpup:

My dad has one of the APBA football sets. Had it since I was little. I remember that Gayle Sayers is one of the running back cards. Haven't seen the set in years. Probably in the top of the closet where the rest of the games are in the house.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Trying harder than a Saturday Night Live Season 29 cast.

Come back when you got something.

Back