Another great loss for GT family....

AlabamaBuzz

Dodd-Like
Here is Buddy's daughter's tribute to her father:

Kristi L McCoy
The world lost a true Yellow Jacket today. Our father, D.S. "Buddy" McCoy, passed in peace during the night in his hometown of Moultrie, GA. He was a '68 CE grad, played for Bobby Dodd's '64-'66 team and was a Phi Delta Theta. He loved Bobby Dodd like a father and bled white and gold every day of his life. In his book, "A Walk on the Beach", he shared the following story:

"All through high school, and even earlier, I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. Build roads and bridges and dams and lakes and be outside with all that powerful equipment. I loved the roar of the deisels and the smell of the smoke.

I had the grades and applied to GT, and was accepted to study in their COOP program. I was all signed up and ready to go to Atlanta. My parents could not afford the ride. I was on my own. I never dreamt of the football thing.

I had football credentials, and the Dawgs came calling. I even considered going there to study Veternary, but my heart was just not in it. I wanted to go to Tech.

A couple local fellows took an interest, and made some calls. One went straight to Bobby Dodd. He sent scouts to our Spring Game. On the first play of that game, I made a tackle for a three yard loss, whereupon, coach Dynamite Goodlow turned to my mother and said: "Your son just signed a contract!"

A scholarship is not a "free ride". Quite the contrary. You have to bust your *** against bigger and better athletes every day. It's sometimes difficult to forget the days beatings, then sit down and study Statics and Dynamics.

Yes, I played for Coach Dodd, and feel like I paid my dues. I also got the CE degree and built roads and bridges and lakes.

I love Georgia Tech and everthing about it's aura, including the skyline of Atlanta. Bobby Dodd hugged my momma, and I was okay with that.

Sayin.. Reck"

I know he'll be screamin' "Give 'em Hell Jackets!" from up above tomorrow like he always did at the start of the game. Maybe Coach Dodd saved him a seat next to him. I hope they win one tomorrow for Ol' Dad. He will forever be loved and in our hearts. — with Buddy McCoy.

God's peace to him and his family. I will also miss reading his posts on the hive.

I hate to hear that happened to him. Got to know him on a Florida fishing forum and we'd go back and forth about GT football. He had a genuine love for everything GT and pride that oozed from him.

Hope he is smiling with the results today.....Losing a lot of GT guys lately..

Back