Another great Southern FB radio voice goes silent......(links)

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
For those of us OldeFarTekkers who grew up listening to Jack Hurst and Big Al call our games, Ed Thilenius over at the cesspool before Larry WhatHisName, Cawood Ledford at WHAS for Kentucky and John Ferguson on WWL in NOLA doing the LSU night games, John Ward with UT was a classic. He was a homer, but a very low key, matter of fact announcer. He may have been the announcer for the hated "Big Urnge," but he let the events speak for themselves.

R.I.P. "Give him six!"

ESPN Link

Knoxville News Sentinel Link

Goood radio football announcers are a thing of the past unfortunately. They used to be hometown heros and some to a degree still are, but the new generation guys are using college football radio as a stepping stone to tv so there just isn't the following of a certain guy.

He was the voice of my childhood. So many games muted so I could listen to him call them. He's calling games in heaven now. "Give him six!" , "It's football time in Tennessee!" , "Bottom" , " It's Goooda" all will be a part of my memort forever.

Ward>>>drunkard Munson. God, Ward was so much better than Munson it wasn't even close. Munson doesn't deserve to have his name in the same breath as Ward's.
Give. Him. Six.
RIP, sir.

This may leave Gene Deckerhoff as the last of his breed.

I hated the Vols as a kid living in NW Ga amongst hoards of UT fans but I did love John Ward’s call. “Give him six” was a great line.

Ward>>>drunkard Munson. God, Ward was so much better than Munson it wasn't even close. Munson doesn't deserve to have his name in the same breath as Ward's.
Give. Him. Six.
RIP, sir.

This may leave Gene Deckerhoff as the last of his breed.
Here to report that “Gene the drinkin machine” is going strong...see him pretty regularly.

Ward was an outstanding “Voice of the Vols”. Turning the radio dial to try to get a good AM signal of a night football or basketball game, it only took hearing Ward say one word and you knew you had the Tennessee network.

I kinda hope Munson made it to heaven so that his soul got a hobnail boot up its ass last January as he looked down upon the Great mutt Chokejob.

I hope he's in hell and gets a hobnail boot up his ass ever hour of every day.

He is. And he does. And it's an endless loop of the 2008 COFH second half for him to watch.

Hate it when the greats of the past check out. Just doesn't feel like we are replacing them.
It is tough to see so many of Dodd’s boys passing....not only did they shspe the history of Tech football, but also of Atlanta

Back