Another Groh Link

lonestarjacket

Dodd-Like
This take isn't particularly complimentary, but I found this quote a bit inspiring.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/323601-al-grohs-return-to-the-acc-near

If Groh takes this job, the message he is sending seems crystal clear. He wants to show everyone that they were wrong in judging him as a failure. He will be hell bent on proving that he can create a championship-level defense with the right talent around him.
He could probably do this at a few places, but by picking Georgia Tech, he wants to rub it in the face of the entire conference. Of course, if he takes the job, then he actually has to do that—the last thing Groh's legacy needs is another mediocre stint.
If I were a Georgia Tech fan, I would be excited. Groh may not be a head coach, but he knows how to run defenses and his initial gameplans are pretty solid. You would be hard pressed to find many more coordinators out there with as much experience or familiarity with the conference.

Don't they basically let anyone create an account and post anything as if it was news there?
Correct. Lucrative business model...unlimited and always fresh new content, all for free. Of course anything but an op-ed is probably going to be garbage(i.e. the above article), but if it gets read, it gets read.

This take isn't particularly complimentary

Neither is this...

Groh never took the easy way out in this shaky relationship. The former New York Jets coach was willing to jettison his own son as offensive coordinator and throw others under the bus to save his job for one more year.

He was willing to burn redshirts for cheap wins and made more than a few enemies on the recruiting trails, all of which hurt the program in both the short and long term.

It was clear that Groh made no apologies for how things ended at Virginia, either. In his final press conference, he recited a poem called "The Man in the Glass". It was a poem that solidified his image in the minds of many jaded Virginia fans—a self-absorbed egomaniac.

Granted, Virginia did not exactly treat Groh well either. The boos and the empty seats helped make the decision for athletic director Craig Littlepage rather simple. The administration took less than 24 hours to drop the hammer on their coach of nine seasons.

It is also surprising for Groh not to wait and see if an NFL job opens up. Let's be clear, the NFL is where Groh belongs. In the NFL, personalities do not matter. He does not need to worry about making friends or trying to recruit players.

Neither is this...

It is also surprising for Groh not to wait and see if an NFL job opens up. Let's be clear, the NFL is where Groh belongs. In the NFL, personalities do not matter. He does not need to worry about making friends or trying to recruit players.

That must have been written by someone who wasn't paying attention when Groh was coaching in the NFL. The Jets players blamed him for their late season collapse in 2000 because he worked them too hard starting in training camp and burned them out by around Week 15.

That must have been written by someone who wasn't paying attention when Groh was coaching in the NFL. The Jets players blamed him for their late season collapse in 2000 because he worked them too hard starting in training camp and burned them out by around Week 15.

I think I (and our players) will be fine with it if we are only able to play awesomely for the first 15 weeks.

Edit to add: there was a big change when it came to our "training camp" too when a real coach came along. CPJ claimed he had a buncha pussies and had to kick their asses into shape.

So if Groh becomes our DC, maybe we will have not one, but two badasses...one on each side of the ball. I guess we ain't gonna be Mr. Nice Guy anymore. :p

al-groh.jpg

I think I (and our players) will be fine with it if we are only able to play awesomely for the first 15 weeks.

Edit to add: there was a big change when it came to our "training camp" too when a real coach came along. CPJ claimed he had a buncha pussies and had to kick their asses into shape.

This is why I don't buy that Groh is necessarily better suited for the NFL, contrary to what was said by the guy that AFF quoted. He has certainly had success on both levels, but he certainly won't be considered a front-runner for any head coaching position in the league after his stint with the Jets. Groh's going to be a defensive coordinator regardless of where he goes, and since when does a defensive coordinator have to worry about public relations matters? Tenuta certainly didn't when he was here at Tech, and his defenses did well and made names of several of our players.

Back