Another GT Alum Does Good!

GW's going to have as much or more bad foreign affairs legacy as Carter, and his budget irresponsibility will be widely regarded as directly responsible for the collapse of the US economy.
Possibly, I've been wrong before (as noted above) however, I distinctly recall the exact same things being said of Reagan and he's widely regarded as one of the better prez. Not a diety as some Republicans have annointed him, but certainly one of the best legacys.

Curious, setting presidential paranoia aside, what did Nixon do that was so bad?

I distinctly recall the exact same things being said of Reagan and he's widely regarded as one of the better prez.

Good point, but Reagan didn't ****can social security to invade a foreign country on false pretenses, on the advice of a war profiteer turned VP. Nor did Bush Senior, who IMO may have been the best president since Eisenhower.

I'm not a Nixon aficionado, but there's lots of stuff in his presidency that adds up to very bad things. Off the top of my head, the My Lai Massacre was essentially Abu Garabe times about a thousand.

Curious, setting presidential paranoia aside, what did Nixon do that was so bad?

Like Clinton, Nixon was caught in a black lie. But unlike Democrats, Republican presidents are not permitted to lie without serious reproach.

I think Bush Sr is going to improve with history.

Nixon did a lot but history books are written by liberals now and he will not fair as well as Clinton.

Clinton will fair very well, but Bush Sr and Newt deserve most of the credit.

Everything is coming back to clobber Carter, including his post years stupidity.

Bush Jr is the most likely to have a complete changeover within 25 years (it could get uglier or great). How the middle east fairs and the U.S. economy recovers in the next five years will pretty much determine his presidency.

Bush Jr is the most likely to have a complete changeover within 25 years (it could get uglier or great). How the middle east fairs and the U.S. economy recovers in the next five years will pretty much determine his presidency.
Fares. (Sorry, just had to do it.)

Disagree. He will never be viewed as great. The only way he hets moved to better than average is the resolution of Iraq. On the domestic side, his legacy will be the destruction of 25 years of conservative economics and setting the wheels in motion for the disintegration of Republican cohesion. Unless someone can come along quickly and mend fences, he won't even be viewed as average.

Fares. (Sorry, just had to do it.)

Disagree. He will never be viewed as great. The only way he hets moved to better than average is the resolution of Iraq. On the domestic side, his legacy will be the destruction of 25 years of conservative economics and setting the wheels in motion for the disintegration of Republican cohesion. Unless someone can come along quickly and mend fences, he won't even be viewed as average.

Off topic, but this is correct as of now. He has no spending control and is a nanny stater. Also agree that it is possible for a quick mend of some of his disasters could help his legacy.

But he has more upside than you admit, granted it's slim. If Iraq goes well, he could be the grandfather of a prosperous and modern Middle East. Also, it is likely that proposed big government policies implemented by the next President/Congress will hide his snafus by dwarfing them in size and impact. For instance the Prescription Drug Benefit is a disaster that will eventually bankrupt us, but the new socialized medicine will do it much faster.

Also, it is possible that Alito and Roberts will be the most important outcome of the Bush Presidency.

And FWIW, Nixon had good and bad just like Clinton, but I don't see anything good about Carter (or Bush 1 for that matter)

I'm not a Nixon aficionado, but there's lots of stuff in his presidency that adds up to very bad things. Off the top of my head, the My Lai Massacre was essentially Abu Garabe times about a thousand.

You're not a Lyndon Johnson expert either. The My Lai massacre occurred while Johnson was President.
:laugher::laugher::laugher:

i dont think so. JC actually graduated, albeit from the paltry Naval Academy in Annopolis, while AH was carting luggage at the airport after leaving Tech

not quite the same thing, IMO. nothing against AH, i wish him well, but he is not an alum like JC is an alum because he never graduated

If he attended classes for one day at Tech, he is considered an alumnus and considered by me to be less embarassing than Jimmy Carter, the father of modern day terrorism, in my opinion.

Because this is a Tech board.

beej67,
thought that'd be obvious

edit-

Geeteelee: I don't disagree with much of what you have to say in that post, but I stand by my assessment that 20 years from now, historians are going to say Carter > Nixon > GWB. GW's going to have as much or more bad foreign affairs legacy as Carter, and his budget irresponsibility will be widely regarded as directly responsible for the collapse of the US economy.

GTL is right on. The misery index came into being in Carter's disastrous administration: double digit inflation, interest rates, and unemployment. JC could have been worse only if Janet Reno was his AG. Then they could have added to the misery index the triple digit number of American citizens burned alive by our own government.

I don't know, Jimmy Carter did pretty good for himself, and for the world. I'll concede his domestic economic policy was pretty wretched, but you can't ignore the positive impact he's had.

When historians look back at previous presidents, 20 years from now, after China quits subsidizing the country's debt load and the dollar collapses, Carter > Nixon > GWB.

Bullsh*t.

Tony had so much potential but squandered it and screwed GT over by being part of FLUNKGATE...now this? Way to go TH!!

technically, Hargrove is an alum

this is the def from Websters...

"An alumn (with a silent "n") is a former student of a university, usually a graduate"

I know he didn't graduate, but he was enrolled as a student at GT...sorry to be PC.

No need to pile on the kid. I don't by any means condone his actions. Usually kids that have absent parents growing up don't have that foundation that many of us take for granted. I hope he rights the ship!

Back