Another supid Miami quote: Randy Phillips said:

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
"If it was that great of an offense, every team would be running it."

-AP

-AP

My response would be...If it wasn't a great offense, then why did it rack up so many points against Miami last year??? We don't CARE too much how other teams are running their offenses and I don't think Paul Johnson does either.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2009-09-17/miami-aiming-solve-georgia-tech-hex

They call it "assignment football," the disciplined approach that teams use to contain Tech's offense, which features speedy fullback Jonathan Dwyer, a quarterback in Josh Nesbitt who seems like more of a running threat than a thrower, and plenty of misdirection on almost every play.
A year ago, Miami blew tons of the assignments. Linebackers overpursued, defensive linemen were on the ground too much, the secondary was a porous last line of defense, and the result was a rout.
The Hurricanes laud Tech's offense - "unbelievable," Shannon even offered - but aren't in awe of the scheme, either.
"If it was that great of an offense, every team would be running it," Miami safety Randy Phillips said. "It's unique, but it's just assignment football. We have to do our job."

Things like this make me feel better about this game.

wesleyd21....also starting to feel better about tonight's game. You do NOT want to get Coach J angry. Seriously.

I don't see what's outrageous about the quote. Seems to me that he is saying that our offense is not so "great" that it can't be stopped with sound defense. He's right. And I think it's the correct approach for opposing coaches to try and demystify our offense. Looks like Shannon succeeded. If you can get off blocks and tackle and think, you can stop us.

Yep. The 3-O is easy to stop in theory. Here's hoping those thugs fail.:biggthumpup:

Isn't this pretty much the exact same thing that Paul Johnson says all the time? All he's saying is that it's not a magic offense that's much harder to stop than traditional offenses, and if they do their jobs and execute well they can stop us. The triple option isn't a magic bullet; it's just another offense, that, like any offense, will succeed if the offense executes better than the D and vice versa.

Here's the flaw in his logic:
Any offensive strategy will be successful if you have the coaches and the athletes to run it. The triple option is not some magical elixir that turns ordinary teams into offensive giants. Our success with it is directly related to our coaches and our athletes. Not many teams use this particular option approach because they have invested intellect and recruiting into something different. CPJ has invested the same into the TO, and we will win or lose based on our execution. The triple option is not inherently better or worse than other offensive strategies, its just not very popular right now, so it attracts discussion.

Here's the flaw in his logic:
Any offense strategy will be successful if you have the coaches and the athletes to run it. The triple option is not some magical elixir that turns ordinary teams into offensive giants. Our success with it is directly related to our coaches and our athletes. Not many teams use this particular option approach because they have invested intellect and recruiting into something different. CPJ has invested the same into the TO, and we will win or lose based on our execution. The triple option is not inherently better or worse than other offensive strategies, its just not very popular right now, so it attracts discussion.

I've been following CPJ since his days at GSU. If the man ran a Pro-set, spread from the gun, etc.... He would be just successful as he is today. Were not ranked no. 14 bc we run the 3-O. Its because we have a genious coach who also happens to be a master motivator.

1231641581-727459-400x410-1231641256o_rry.jpg

Isn't this pretty much the exact same thing that Paul Johnson says all the time? All he's saying is that it's not a magic offense that's much harder to stop than traditional offenses, and if they do their jobs and execute well they can stop us. The triple option isn't a magic bullet; it's just another offense, that, like any offense, will succeed if the offense executes better than the D and vice versa.
I actually believe the veer/mid-line/3O is a magic bullet. If it is executed properly, even when it is properly defended, it gains 3-4 yards. Couple that with someone who thinks at the level of Paul Johnson, and you've got the potential for bigger plays when a defender blows his assignment.

Also, and this is incredibly important, Paul Johnson wants teams to play assignment football. When teams cover exactly who they are supposed to cover and do it well, then he can change up blocking schemes and destroy a team. I am convinved the only way to beat our offense is either for us to beat ourselves in execution, or for teams to have vastly superior athletes with the capability to blow the plays up, which is what Clemson and LSU had.

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2009-09-17/miami-aiming-solve-georgia-tech-hex

They call it "assignment football," the disciplined approach that teams use to contain Tech's offense, which features speedy fullback Jonathan Dwyer, a quarterback in Josh Nesbitt who seems like more of a running threat than a thrower, and plenty of misdirection on almost every play.
A year ago, Miami blew tons of the assignments. Linebackers overpursued, defensive linemen were on the ground too much, the secondary was a porous last line of defense, and the result was a rout.
The Hurricanes laud Tech's offense - "unbelievable," Shannon even offered - but aren't in awe of the scheme, either.
"If it was that great of an offense, every team would be running it," Miami safety Randy Phillips said. "It's unique, but it's just assignment football. We have to do our job."

Savannah Now. Why did I suspect that? I'm from Savannah, and we all call it "Little Athens". The article in the newspaper after GT won it was "Heartbreaker in Athens: Dawgs Lose". The ratio of GT fans to UGAg fans in Savannah is equivalent to, if not WORSE THAN, the ratio of extremely hot females to all males at Tech. I actually get excited when I see a "GT" or Buzz...

Savannah Now. Why did I suspect that? I'm from Savannah, and we all call it "Little Athens". The article in the newspaper after GT won it was "Heartbreaker in Athens: Dawgs Lose". The ratio of GT fans to UGAg fans in Savannah is equivalent to, if not WORSE THAN, the ratio of extremely hot females to all males at Tech. I actually get excited when I see a "GT" or Buzz...

Actually, this was an AP article. When I googled the quote, I found the St Pete article, Columbus L-E, Sports Illustrated, etc. Not defending Savannah Now per se -- just saying this is not one of their usual anti-GT plots.

http://www.google.com/search?source...every+team+would+be+running+it."&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I can't even fathom a team spitting off as many dumb quotes as Miami has done the past week...from the players all the way to the coach. Completely insane.

This guy is an idiot. So let me structure this fine logician's argument:

-An offensive scheme is good if and only if it is run by every college team
-Georgia Tech's Flexbone is only run by 2 or 3 other teams in Division I FBS
Therefore: Georgia Tech's offense is not particularly good.

Ok that is like saying: Florida's offense isn't run by every college team, therefore Florida's offense is not very good. Haha nice try thug!

He's also assuming that the knowledge required to run this offense is attainable by anyone, which it most certainly is not.

Back