another UNC article.....

I care. I think it's great. I imagine the only people on this board that aren't happy about it have vaginas.

I think this is evidence of true geniuses at UNC. They set up some classes involving a subject for which any criticism will be politically incorrect. Then, find some faculty who would like to get credited for teaching classes for which no preparation is necessary and won't require any class time. Then, enroll student-athletes who simply don't have the aptitude or discipline to handle the mainstream coursework from which there eligibility requires passing grades. They do this knowing full well that the NCAA will never be able to take on the job of credentialing and approving classes at all the universities it oversees. And even if they tried, they would never seek to judge anything promoting diversity. I would bet that this is a model being followed by schools all over the country. The ethical response from the NCAA would be to give up the charade of requiring certain grades, but they never will.

You people call for us to be like these other elite universities and create a program for athletes.

Win, but win right. If not, we could end up with a football tradition like UNC- Embarrassing on and off the field.

You people call for us to be like these other elite universities and create a program for athletes.

Win, but win right. If not, we could end up with a football tradition like UNC- Embarrassing on and off the field.

If we start an African Studies major I'll melt my class ring down for gold and throw my degree in a bonfire.

Allowing students to take calculus after their freshman year? Not a big deal if they aren't taking any classes with calculus as a prerequisite.

Some of us prefer division III.

That said, exceptions for the admissions process are not at all similar to creating an easy major.

There is no way to win right in FBS football.

Some of us prefer division III.

That said, exceptions for the admissions process are not at all similar to creating an easy major.

There is no way to win right in FBS football.

I can't tell if your trolling, or you really hold these asinine views...

The division 3 thing is a little far fetched, IMO. GT could do just fine in FCS. The rest of those views are very far from asinine though.

EDIT: For the record, I think GT is fine right where it is, just making a comment on the drop down argument.

How does a school succeed in D1 with academic integrity? I'd love to hear your response.

I'll take a stab: weaker scheduling. NIU is in an orange bowl this year, so there's that. You won't ever win the top prize, but there are different levels of success that have to be considered if you're going to handicap yourself.

I can't tell if your trolling, or you really hold these asinine views...

I strongly support deemphasizing sport across all American universities.

It makes absolutely no sense for our colleges to run professional athletic programs.

I'm fine with sports so long as they aren't about exploiting participants (low graduation rate, many in worthless degrees) for large revenue streams.

But this is not trolling. I can't fathom why any sensible university would play FBS football.

Given that Georgia Tech has been on probation twice in the past 15 years, I think you should reconsider whether we play within the rules.

Or, if you believe we should not have been in trouble, ask whether we can play with in the rules. Because if the rules are arbitrarily enforced (they are), can we expect to protect our reputation?

If you really understand flunk-gate, and what was happening under O'Leary, you can't possibly pretend that we consistently do things the right way.

How does a school succeed in D1 with academic integrity? I'd love to hear your response.

You didn't ask me, but I'd say the following criteria are a start:

1. Graduation rate equivalent to that of the student body.

2. Players majors reflect overall student enrollment; player's post-school non-football success similar to those of non-athletes

3. School does not market players images, no shirts with players names, images, numbers are sold. School refuses to allow EA to use player images.

4. High rate of alumni donations from former players.

5. Discipline of athletes handled the same as regular students.

6. Discipline of coaches handled the same as other university employees.

7. Practice and games do not interfere with academic pursuits.

8. Players allowed to transfer freely, just as regular students, without limitations on athletic participation.

9. Scholarships honored for all 4 years.

10. No oversigning.

2. Players majors reflect overall student enrollment; player's post-school non-football success similar to those of non-athletes

3. School does not market players images, no shirts with players names, images, numbers are sold. School refuses to allow EA to use player images.

8. Players allowed to transfer freely, just as regular students, without limitations on athletic participation.

10. No oversigning.

I think perhaps you misunderstood the question. I read it as how do they succeed at football, not how do they succeed at having academic integrity. Your prescription might accomplish the former if it were applied to every school, but applying that to any 1 school in isolation seems like it would guarantee failure on the field in FBS.

There are so many athletes out there and there are only a few major programs. If the school systems in the poorer districts do a better job of getting kids academically prepped (While there are a few kids who are just dumb, most are just products of a horrible system), we could pull those kids.

Then, we stay in a second rate conference like the ACC. In the last 5 years, have you gone into any game feeling like we have no shot?

What we need is a year where all the stars align, all the games we lost in the 4th to not turn, a couple stud athletes and a role players, and a helluva title game. As long as the ACC stays second rate, we have a shot.

But to give up who we are is a pathetic feeling of defeatism. When I read these post you guys write, it makes me wonder if you ever graduated from Tech. Were you not a freshman who got back their first exam only to realize you failed something for the first time in your life after you studied for the first time in your life? I was. I had no idea how I got through, and now I have a degree on my wall that trumps any other degree from any other school in Georgia, and in my opinion, the south. If I can overcome in academics, surely we can overcome in a game. We have money, we have brains, and we offer a very real thing for the kids who come through our program, not a piece of paper that says, "Housing Management".

I will always believe we can have the best of both worlds. If you want to be patsy, go ahead, but I do not accept this.

If the school systems in the poorer districts do a better job of getting kids academically prepped

1.jpg

10. No oversigning.

I think the only way you can really get to the first eight is to eliminate athletic scholarships.

A lot of UNC basketball players were involved in this scandal.

And yes, I would be satisfied having a football program and tradition as rich and strong as UNC's basketball program and tradition.

Back