Another Validation of PAC-10 Rumor

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Official Iowa State Release saying they are worried. (More on SEC below.)
Dear Cyclone alumni, fans and friends of the University,
This week, we participated in the Big 12 Conference spring meetings in which a major topic of discussion was potential conference re-alignment. With the immense speculation and media attention given to this issue, we felt it was important for you to hear directly from us.

We believe the Big 12 Conference is the perfect fit for Iowa State University. We are committed to our membership in the Big 12, and we are optimistic that the conference will remain intact. However, we also recognize that the long-term viability of the Big 12 Conference is not in our control - it is in the hands of just a few of our fellow member institutions.

Iowa State and several other members of the Big 12 Conference are especially vulnerable under some of the re-alignment scenarios currently circulating, particularly one involving expansion of the Pac-10. We are doing everything in our power to represent the best interests of Iowa State in these discussions, but we also are sensitive to the huge uncertainty that has been created and recognize that the situation could evolve in directions that are not aligned with our interests.

We understand and share your concerns about Iowa State athletics and the Big 12 Conference. We are still optimistic that the Big 12 will remain intact and continue to be one of our nation's premier athletics conferences, but we must be ready to act if that does not prove to be the case. We will keep in touch as the situation unfolds, and we appreciate your understanding.

Go Cyclones!

Dr. Gregory Geoffroy
President
Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics
http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=204955238&DB_OEM_ID=10700

In other news, SEC sounds already resigned to losing Texas:
Florida President Bernie Machen said the SEC would be reactive and not proactive. [um, you need to talk to Slive!] ...
SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said the conference would main­tain its wait-and-see approach, but "we're not complacent. There's never a moment where you don't want to be better." ...
Slive declined to com­ment when asked if the SEC has talked with Texas A&M. "Strategic and thoughtful," Slive responded in a popular refrain from what he says about SEC expansion.
http://blog.al.com/solomon/2010/06/sec_reacts_to_pac-10_expansion.html

Last edited:
Iowa State will probably be the most vulnerable school during all of the conference shifting. I just can't imagine they'd be invited anywhere. They might end up in C-USA, if they are lucky.

I hope we can get into C-USA if the alternative is a raided ACC consisting of a bunch of North Carolina schools and Maryland and UVA and BC.

Washington AD said:
There is an enormous amount of speculation about conference expansion right now and I think with the Pac-10 that anything is possible, all the way from remaining with the status quo, where we are today, to a full merger with the Big 12 and anything in between. All possibilities are viable and open for discussion

Colorado AD said:
The longer that we were together in Kansas City it appeared that that rumor or speculation did have some validity to it

:crazy:

I hope we can get into C-USA if the alternative is a raided ACC consisting of a bunch of North Carolina schools and Maryland and UVA and BC.

Good point, if we are out of options (no invite to Big Ten or SEC) and Clemmons and Free Shoes decide to leave, I hope ACC decides to take in South Florida, Central Florida, and a few left over teams (Louisville? Syarcuse? Uconn?)

Times will change in college football and there is no telling where teams will end up. UCF could be a giant someday. Nice new stadium ready for expansion. Huge school - around 50k students.

Not to throw cold water, but outside of Tech boards, I don't hear or read anything mentioning the Institute in reference to serious consideration for any of the expansions. When I mention our possibly moving to either Big 10+ or SEC to my active and involved other conference alum friends, at best, I receive a "Huh?" and at worst, a great yawn. It seems that many mistakenly perceive us as a less than top level program.

Hopefully, this observation is in error (maybe attributable to my remote location), but it would be encouraging to see links to national publications naming us in serious consideration as more than an afterthought.

UCF could be a giant someday. Nice new stadium ready for expansion. Huge school - around 50k students.[/QUOTE]

Oversized aluminum high school stadium.:laugher:

Sorry, all this message says to me is an AD trying to calm the fears of his fanbase and give the appearances of being proactive and protecting the "best interests" of his school. All he does is acknowledge rumor and media attention and is trying to keep his fanbase's panties out of wad. The only interesting part is that he acknowledges his complete lack of influence in/power to affect said matters.

The Big 12 staff should be working on their own re-population strategy should they get raided, unless they are all getting paid off to let it die. For example, assume they lost 8 teams to the Pac10 and BigTeleven.

They could add Colorado State, Boise State, Utah, Louisville, Cincinnati, La Tech, Memphis, Northern Iowa. You have to think they are thinking about his. Likewise, the ACC should be coming up with some scenarios too. If the SEC takes 4 who would you go for? WVa, Pitt, UCF, So Fla, Syracuse, Rutgers?

Not to throw cold water, but outside of Tech boards, I don't hear or read anything mentioning the Institute in reference to serious consideration for any of the expansions. When I mention our possibly moving to either Big 10+ or SEC to my active and involved other conference alum friends, at best, I receive a "Huh?" and at worst, a great yawn. It seems that many mistakenly perceive us as a less than top level program.

Hopefully, this observation is in error (maybe attributable to my remote location), but it would be encouraging to see links to national publications naming us in serious consideration as more than an afterthought.

Because anyone in their right mind would say "huh" to GT to the Big X. I mean, that is basically a complete joke. I know I even gave us a slight chance of going there, but I've been inundated with so many of 1gtfan's "OMG BIG X" threads that that was bound to happen.

In terms of SEC expansion, I think you'd have to say "huh" to many of the teams they'd have to take to get to 16. FSU and Clemson are obvious choices, but beyond that? I think we'd have as good a chance as any school thanks to our location.

Because anyone in their right mind would say "huh" to GT to the Big X. I mean, that is basically a complete joke. I know I even gave us a slight chance of going there, but I've been inundated with so many of 1gtfan's "OMG BIG X" threads that that was bound to happen.

In terms of SEC expansion, I think you'd have to say "huh" to many of the teams they'd have to take to get to 16. FSU and Clemson are obvious choices, but beyond that? I think we'd have as good a chance as any school thanks to our location.

Well, obviously one thing for sure..You want us in the Sec and I want us in The Big Ten..Just go ahead and admit it....

I think I'm with Wes Durham in that GT will never get an invite to the Sec and NO, we do not add anything to the Sec they don't already have..

I'm also with Wes, in that we feel that GT is a very attractive choice for the Big Ten in what commisioner Delaney has laid out, the criteria a prospective school needs to meet in order to be considered.

So, that's it in a nutshell.

The Big 12 staff should be working on their own re-population strategy should they get raided, unless they are all getting paid off to let it die. For example, assume they lost 8 teams to the Pac10 and BigTeleven.

They could add Colorado State, Boise State, Utah, Louisville, Cincinnati, La Tech, Memphis, Northern Iowa.

OK, let's play this game. Say they lose the five public schools in the South and Colorado from the North to the Pac-16. NU and Mizzou go to Big Integer. That leaves Iowa State, K-State, KU, and Baylor. Colorado State, Boise State, and Utah would be reasonable replacements. Probably also take BYU and TCU. I'm not sure about UL, Cinci, La Tech, and Memphis going that direction. I think Houston and Tulsa might make more sense, and their football programs have been decent lately. Northern Iowa can't do it. There's an NCAA moratorium on moving up to FBS, and they aren't interested in doing it anyway. Maybe Utah State to keep the other Utah schools happy?

Well, I have surfed the Big Ten boards pretty regularly the last few days and searched for all news articles and you are right, there is very little mention of GT as a candidate but, that doesn't mean jack .

These are the same posters/fans that thought Texas and Notre Dame were shoe-ins for the Big Ten and the same uninformed fans that missed this whole Pac-10 plan to admit 6 of the Big-12 into their conference.

Bottomline is this, 99.9% of these fans/posters (Including myself and GTH816F and all others here on Stingtalk have NO clue to the facts as to what is going on behind the scenes...A handful of AD's and College Presidents know what is actually going on. Only people privy to those actual sources know the real deal.
In other words, a small group of people actually know the likely outcome of all this.

I am hopeful Wes knows...One thing for sure, he knows beter than anyone on this board.

Last edited:

I've read more than one national writer that has brought up our AAU invitation and suggested that we could be a fit for the Big Televen. There have also been Big Televen presidents who have talked about surprise schools and Delaney has talked about reaching farther south.

Well, obviously one thing for sure..You want us in the Sec and I want us in The Big Ten..Just go ahead and admit it....

I think I'm with Wes Durham in that GT will never get an invite to the Sec and NO, we do not add anything to the Sec they don't already have..

I'm also with Wes, in that we feel that GT is a very attractive choice for the Big Ten in what commisioner Delaney has laid out, the criteria a prospective school needs to meet in order to be considered.

So, that's it in a nutshell.

Actually I don't want us in the SEC. I think it would be terrible if we were in the SEC, because we'd either become a second to third tier program or be forced to compromise our academics and ethics, and even then we'd still be second tier at best.

That doesn't change the reality of the situation though. The only schools that would really bring something new to the table for the SEC are the Big XII schools. Barring that, they'll have to take schools similar to us or not expand. If they don't expand, then we can just stay in the ACC.

The only conceivable scenario where we join the Big X is if they make a play for five southern schools including us. They're not going to take a bunch of northeast schools and randomly send an invite to us. Notice how right now all of their schools are in contiguous states. The Big X is a pipe dream and like SoCal Jacket said, the only people who think it is a realistic possibility are the most delusional GT homers.

The only schools that would really bring something new to the table for the SEC are the Big XII schools.

AGREE with you on this point.

The only conceivable scenario where we join the Big X is if they make a play for five southern schools including us. They're not going to take a bunch of northeast schools and randomly send an invite to us.

DISAGREE on this point.

The Big X is a pipe dream and like SoCal Jacket said, the only people who think it is a realistic possibility are the most delusional GT homers.

Also DISAGREE on your final point and don't think Wes Durham is delusional and would argue he is not just being a homer here on this one.

UCF could be a giant someday. Nice new stadium ready for expansion. Huge school - around 50k students.

Oversized aluminum high school stadium.:laugher:[/QUOTE]

So is FSU - bricks now disguise it, but that place is a dump through the turnstiles.

Tennessee is pretty much a dump too.

Back