Another Validation of PAC-10 Rumor

Well, I have surfed the Big Ten boards pretty regularly the last few days and searched for all news articles and you are right, there is very little mention of GT as a candidate but, that doesn't mean jack .

These are the same posters/fans that thought Texas and Notre Dame were shoe-ins for the Big Ten and the same uninformed fans that missed this whole Pac-10 plan to admit 6 of the Big-12 into their conference.

Bottomline is this, 99.9% of these fans/posters (Including myself and GTH816F and all others here on Stingtalk have NO clue to the facts as to what is going on behind the scenes...A handful of AD's and College Presidents know what is actually going on. Only people privy to those actual sources know the real deal.
In other words, a small group of people actually know the likely outcome of all this.

I am hopeful Wes knows...One thing for sure, he knows beter than anyone on this board.

Spot on. The presidents and AD's will gather measurables from every school that could remotely be asked to be in the Big Ten and study them. More than the SEC would bother to do. Schools like GT, UNC, Maryland, Vanderbilt, VT, Miami, and a few others will be investigated by the Big Ten - guaranteed - if they aren't already doing it.

If the Big Ten could get UNC without strings (Duke, NC State), they'd probably take them. Maryland might be attractive, but the numbers will have to be run. GT is obviously and attractive get due to location. I'm sure there are a lot of metro Ohio State/Michigan fans that would take GT in a second.

Without the 100% support from UGAg - and Richt and Evans are wishy-washy on expansion - and the support of Georgia's Legislature (like Virginia legislature supporting VT to the ACC) we will definitely not get an invite to the SEC - ever. The SEC has already expanded twice and left us out - UGAg was a factor in keeping us out both times. We might have friends in Alabama, Tennessee and Florida, but the rest of the SEC would likely vote no to us.

Perhaps we should hope that the ACC is proactive and adds Pitt, Cuse, UConn, and WVU (or Rutgers) to form it's own 16 team conference that would truly span the Atlantic Coast (filling in the gap between Maryland and Massachusetts). We can have truly have a North/South split (with all four NC schools being in southern division) and be strong in FB and BB (assuming no defections).

Perhaps we should hope that the ACC is proactive and adds Pitt, Cuse, UConn, and WVU (or Rutgers) to form it's own 16 team conference that would truly span the Atlantic Coast (filling in the gap between Maryland and Massachusetts). We can have truly have a North/South split (with all four NC schools being in southern division) and be strong in FB and BB (assuming no defections).

If the ACC could get those four teams and get F$U, Clempsen, and scUM to stay on board, we could probably weather the expansion just fine. However, unless Swofford is struck by a meteorite and the eight presidents from outside of North Carolina pick the new commissioner without input from the Tobacco Road Mafia, "proactive" is not in the ACC vocabulary.

Oversized aluminum high school stadium.:laugher:

So is FSU - bricks now disguise it, but that place is a dump through the turnstiles.

Tennessee is pretty much a dump too.[/QUOTE]
Oh really, my stadium is a dump?

I know there were questions about the academics of WV during previous expansion, but now it seems like a good idea. UConn, from what I've seen, has a nice, expandable stadium in The Rent. I have no problems with Pitt, but UMass has no football to speak of so no to them. I still like UCF (school size, stadium) and Louisville (good football, excellent basketball)

So is FSU - bricks now disguise it, but that place is a dump through the turnstiles.

Tennessee is pretty much a dump too.
Oh really, my stadium is a dump?[/QUOTE]

I go to several Tennessee games a year (I suppose that is your school). The current renovations will likely change that, but Tennessee has been a rusty dump for a while. I sat in the very top row overlooking the river several years back and I was afraid to lean on the rusty rail running along the top.

Nothing personal, but rust everywhere, much of the outside parts of the stadium still look like they have windows that were installed in 1930. The bathrooms are tiny, tiny and have old school trough uninals (I sit usually in endzone chairbacks) reminds me of the old LE bathrooms at Grant Field. The concession stands are also too small. If a NFL team bought the place and moved in - total hypothetical situation - they'd demand it be torn down and replaced with a new stadium, even though it seats 100k+. There are several seats next to both press boxes that are blocked from viewing 50% of the field. I don't have any idea why seats are still installed there

I still love going to games at Tennessee, but the stadium is just big - nothing more.

FWIW, BDS was worse than a dump not too long ago.

OK, let's play this game. Say they lose the five public schools in the South and Colorado from the North to the Pac-16. NU and Mizzou go to Big Integer. That leaves Iowa State, K-State, KU, and Baylor. Colorado State, Boise State, and Utah would be reasonable replacements. Probably also take BYU and TCU. I'm not sure about UL, Cinci, La Tech, and Memphis going that direction. I think Houston and Tulsa might make more sense, and their football programs have been decent lately. Northern Iowa can't do it. There's an NCAA moratorium on moving up to FBS, and they aren't interested in doing it anyway. Maybe Utah State to keep the other Utah schools happy?

Good point. Take TCU and BYU and drop Memphis and La Tech.

UCF could be a giant someday. Nice new stadium ready for expansion. Huge school - around 50k students.

Oversized aluminum high school stadium.:laugher:[/QUOTE]

Really just wondering how many games you have attended in Orlando the stadium and campus are actually nice.

I know there were questions about the academics of WV during previous expansion, but now it seems like a good idea. UConn, from what I've seen, has a nice, expandable stadium in The Rent. I have no problems with Pitt, but UMass has no football to speak of so no to them. I still like UCF (school size, stadium) and Louisville (good football, excellent basketball)

I wouldn't want UMass either--I'd pick Syracuse for the other northern team (as I mentioned above). They are excellent in basketball, have a good FB tradition (though they've been sucking recently), have good academics, and would (perhaps) help get some New York viewers. We all remember it was Syracuse that was part of the original ACC expansion discussion a few years ago. (I am glad we got VPI at that time, but Syracuse would now make more since along with some other contiguous northeastern teams if the ACC goes to 16).

As far as WVU, I am not as concerned with the academics--in fact I thought they would have been my choice for the 12th ACC school after VPI and UM. I would prefer them to Rutgers since they are solid in FB and basketball, and have traditional rivalries with Pitt, VPI and Maryland.

Adding those teams to the ACC might (MIGHT) help the ACC, but they will do NOTHING for Georgia Tech.

And if FSU and CU go, we would still be screwed.

The best thing is for GT to be in the SEC, but if expansion comes and we don't get in the SEC, we better hope that we get in the Big 10 (and that is not highly desirable).. People are looking at things the same way Dodd did in 63, and it almost killed us then.

UCF could be a giant someday. Nice new stadium ready for expansion. Huge school - around 50k students.

Oversized aluminum high school stadium.:laugher:[/QUOTE]

I heard the other day that UCF is the 2nd largest university in the USA.

Adding those teams to the ACC might (MIGHT) help the ACC, but they will do NOTHING for Georgia Tech.

And if FSU and CU go, we would still be screwed.

The best thing is for GT to be in the SEC, but if expansion comes and we don't get in the SEC, we better hope that we get in the Big 10 (and that is not highly desirable).. People are looking at things the same way Dodd did in 63, and it almost killed us then.

Notice I ended by saying in parenthesis "(assuming no defections)".

I agree--losing FSU and Clemson would certainly hurt the ACC in FB and would hurt Tech in losing two big rivals (in FB and baseball).

I have my doubts that the SEC offers Tech specifically, or goes beyond 12 at all unless they can figure out how to get the money to work.

I would prefer the 16 team ACC to a Big Ten invite, BUT I'd favor being in either the SEC or Big Ten over a watered down ACC (ie, ACC minus FSU, Clemson, and/or Miami).

Back