Answer this better question ...

beej67

new around here
If not Groh, then who?

Givens:

• We still could/should have won if we just go get the first down with 2 mins remaining,
  • Giving up 450+ passing to a bad Miami team is clearly an atrocity,
  • Not a lot of hope on the horizon for an improvement on defense,
  • Clearly we need to let the season play out and not make rash decisions,
  • All this said...

Who?

Are our problems XOs or JimmiesJoes? Is there a coach available that we could hire that would fix whatever these issues are?

It's fun to scream about firing someone, but who do we replace him with? We're not landing a better resume than Groh's.

23809190.jpg

Definitely easier to transition to a new defensive system and see success than offense -- we probably have the personnel to move to a 4-3 fairly seamlessly too. I think Groh will be here for the rest of CPJ's tenure though, however long that is.

Definitely easier to transition to a new defensive system and see success than offense -- we probably have the personnel to move to a 4-3 fairly seamlessly too. I think Groh will be here for the rest of CPJ's tenure though, however long that is.

I tend to agree that switching to a 4-3 would be much easier than switching to a different offensive system. We have pretty much struck out on every big 3-4 DT over the last few years. All our other guys could be shuffled around to run the 4-3 with relatively mild growing pains.

We're basically running a 4-3 now... we ran 4 down sets all game. We just have a linebacker down depending on where we see weakness. It's the defense option i guess.

We have some talent and skill on the defensive side of the ball but I think we are not playing a scheme that suits their strengths. We have some undersized players on D but we make up for it with speed, our LB's are all pretty ---- athletic and can run, they're just not the biggest guys in the world, hence the struggle to stop the run. We also have very aggressive cornerbacks who all tackle well. JT14 and Lou Young are both very good at jamming at the line and scrimmage...that being said, we run an overwhelming amount of soft zone and soft cover 2 shemes with blitzes underneath them aka Zone blitzing. This ties in with what others have said that Groh is trying to run a NFL defense with non NFL caliber talent. Let our corners play bump n run and blitz the ---- out of the offense, that's what we did to beat Clemson last year(best D game ever under CAG?) we let JT get in Sammy watkins grill and he ran step for step with him because of his jamming abilities at the line of scrimmage, but CAG consistently plays our guys 8 yards off the ball and give up the underneath stuff. It's pretty apparent CAG wants a bend but dont break defense.. we an need attaking defense that utilizes some of our speed to compensate the lack of size. aka 1 gapping on the DL instead of 2 gapping.

We have some talent and skill on the defensive side of the ball but I think we are not playing a scheme that suits their strengths. We have some undersized players on D but we make up for it with speed, our LB's are all pretty ---- athletic and can run, they're just not the biggest guys in the world, hence the struggle to stop the run. We also have very aggressive cornerbacks who all tackle well. JT14 and Lou Young are both very good at jamming at the line and scrimmage...that being said, we run an overwhelming amount of soft zone and soft cover 2 shemes with blitzes underneath them aka Zone blitzing. This ties in with what others have said that Groh is trying to run a NFL defense with non NFL caliber talent. Let our corners play bump n run and blitz the ---- out of the offense, that's what we did to beat Clemson last year(best D game ever under CAG?) we let JT get in Sammy watkins grill and he ran step for step with him because of his jamming abilities at the line of scrimmage, but CAG consistently plays our guys 8 yards off the ball and give up the underneath stuff. It's pretty apparent CAG wants a bend but dont break defense.. we an need attaking defense that utilizes some of our speed to compensate the lack of size. aka 1 gapping on the DL instead of 2 gapping.

I agree. Wouldn't it fit Johnon's system better to attack defensively and give up some big plays so that you can get some 3 and outs? Maybe they would be fresher in the fourth to boot. It just seems being agressive would help us in TOP and hide our depth issues. There's nothing more painful than watching your team get papercutted to death with underneath stuff.

We need young blood not a retread

We could get GOL next year. He's a good DC with recruiting ties in Georgia and Florida. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

The problem is, George O Leary defense is very definitively "death from a thousand cuts" defense. That whole game was a Clemson flashback from George's days.

what about Giff Smith? He brought in our best recruiting class in a generation. Don't know about his X's and O's but coordinators always look better with better talent.

My biggest problem with Groh is he is always stating, "Getting the other team to 3rd and long situations allows us to really open up the defense to do some special things." (or something along those lines)

When we get the other team to 3rd and long, I don't really want the "special thing" to be allowing them to convert it.

The problem is, George O Leary defense is very definitively "death from a thousand cuts" defense. That whole game was a Clemson flashback from George's days.

You are definitively not old enough to remember 1990 when he was a DC, not a head coach. You don't recall his defense versus Ted Roof.

I think a better topic here is GT needs more money to lure great assistant coaches. We're next to last in the ACC in this category. For the most part, outside of Charles Kelly, our assistants suck my ballsack.

My biggest problem with Groh is he is always stating, "Getting the other team to 3rd and long situations allows us to really open up the defense to do some special things." (or something along those lines)

When we get the other team to 3rd and long, I don't really want the "special thing" to be allowing them to convert it.

In Groh's defense, unlike CPJ, he hasn't had 4 years to bring his players in.

Back