Anthony Allen

gt23eric

Dodd-Like
Where's the love for him? He had a great run to start off the game and played very well. He had big runs the whole game. I did see him miss a few blocks but still he was great.

once he learns how to block he will be a great weapon. Unfortunately, it looked like the offense started clicking once Lucas Cox got in there and mashed heads.

Anthony Allen doesn't need to block for himself while he's scoring 82 yard touchdowns, does he? Let's not get crazy with the "DON'T PLAY HIM IF HE CAN'T BLOCK" stuff. I think it's fair to say that he made important contributions in each of our games so far.

I don't know about the blocking issue, but I sure liked what I saw when he had the ball. As everyone who has seen him has said, he has some real speed for someone that powerful. I'm thinking we plug him into JD's spot next year and don't lose much at all.

I would really like to see more of the dump offs underneath the defense... the one that roddy dropped on third and about 7 was gonna be a 1st down and the one allen caught was good for 28yds with big yac.. he read the D and ran a good route and just sat down where the blitzing linebacker had been, a nice easy throw that was very productive..... it seemed like everytime we wanted to throw, it had to be a deep ball down the sideline.... ive got nothing against taking shots down field once in a while but it would do good things for nesbitt to get a few 5-9 yd completions to A-backs here and there before he tries to throw a 25+yd ball on a cold shoulder.

once he learns how to block he will be a great weapon. Unfortunately, it looked like the offense started clicking once Lucas Cox got in there and mashed heads.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Luke was directly responsible for springing Josh loose on a critical run near the end of the game.

We also changed our formation near the end of the game and ran more mid iso with Nesbitt.

Luke Cox is having to mash heads because the OL stinks.

They are obviously trying to keep Nesbitt from taking hits, but late in the game, had no choice but to let him run with it.

This team has weaknesses that were exposed last night. Johnson will overcome some of that on offense.

Wommack will be lost.

Somebody watching on TV told me that after the reception he got tackled by his hair. Did anybody else see that? Sorry if I'm turning this into a 'good hair' vs 'bad hair' thread. If I was a coach, I would probably put some limitation on hair length for ball carriers, for practical reasons. On a more positive note, with AA & JD in the backfield we have two powerful runners with breakaway speed, and we have 2-3 other guys who could be feature backs at some other schools. I can't remember GT having anywhere near this kind of depth at running back. What a shame we have to play the game with only one ball, because we have several guys who can take it to the house.

Last edited:

They are obviously trying to keep Nesbitt from taking hits, but late in the game, had no choice but to let him run with it.

This team has weaknesses that were exposed last night. Johnson will overcome some of that on offense.

Wommack will be lost.

Don't slit your wrists just yet.

Really? I thought Josh had a ton of time to throw when he dropped back to pass, and he wasn't sacked once. Clemson ran a very good scheme for quite some time against us where they were bringing the DE's up to take away the pitch and forcing Josh inside without blocking...that may make it seem like the OL played poorly, but I think they did pretty well.

Anyone else think so? Light year above last year, I thought.

Really? I thought Josh had a ton of time to throw when he dropped back to pass, and he wasn't sacked once. Clemson ran a very good scheme for quite some time against us where they were bringing the DE's up to take away the pitch and forcing Josh inside without blocking...that may make it seem like the OL played poorly, but I think they did pretty well.

The biggest difference I've seen between this year's oline and last years, is last years would have guys caught staring int he backfield with the DT's penetrating. At least now, we're facing forward but we weren't moving their guys well, but there were only a couple of lost yardage runs by Dwyer and they were both to the outside. When he got stuffed up the middle, it was still a 2 yard gain. That didn't happen last year.

Seemed to me that Dwyer was not happy with the OL. I think he was really frustrated knowing there were 20 NFL scouts in the stadium and he didn't put on the show he was hoping to.

It seems to me that a major benefit of our offense is that, generally speaking, the QB has a lot of time to pass when we call a pass play. Because our running game is such a focal point, every pass play is like a playaction. I sincerely believe that we will make strides in the passing game this year just as we did in the running game last year.

If PJ stays here for a few more years, I believe we will be the team to beat in the ACC.

Seemed to me that Dwyer was not happy with the OL. I think he was really frustrated knowing there were 20 NFL scouts in the stadium and he didn't put on the show he was hoping to.

From everything I've heard and read about JD, I seriously doubt that mattered to him as much as the fact that he couldn't contribute more to the team's effort.

If dwyer was frustrated maybe it was because he was getting the heck beat out of him on every play and he was getting no help from the O line.

Allen was good at Louisville and he has been and will continue to be very productive for us. From what I've seen he and Roddy are our best option at the A back position.

He needs to be better getting to his blocking assignment, but when he does get there he can stick it. During the Dwyer big TD run against Jacksonville St - Allen stuck a big block to open it up.

I watched the tape over several plays and everyone involved missed key blocks that could have opened up bigger plays.

Execution.

I wonder about using Allen at B-Back some and sliding Dwyer over to A-Back to get him some different looks and into some space, him just getting drilled by the Dline every play like Thursday on the Dive play was horrible.

Back