Anthony Allen!

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just wanted to compliment AA on his effort not only yesterday but all season. If we had 10 other guys on offense and 11 more on defense that played as hard as AA we would be undefeated.

He was relentless yesterday and delivered just as much punishment as he took. He embodies what I describe as, "a football player". He loves the game, he loves contact and he never quits.

I was hoping Anthony might be able to transfer those qualities to the rest of the team this year but for some reason, it didn't happen. He should have been a captain of this team.

Just a few other thoughts on the team and season:

1) Congratulations to this group for getting bowl eligible. Looking over the year to end with that result with this group was a big achievement. We need all the extra practice time we can get as we build for 2011.
2) I hope this season has taught our younger players that nothing comes easy. You have to work and play harder than the other guy if you expect to beat him.
3) PJ needs to take a long hard look at his own performance this year. His mojo did not work well this year. He has made a lot of bad play calls and has not been able to inspire this group. He is still the right man for the job but he did not get the best out of this group in 2010.
4) We need to find a playmaker at the QB position. I hope we have one coming or in the program. Other than that, I think we have the ingredients to have a pretty good offense in 2011.
5) I am concerned about our defense. They still do not play with any passion. Groh does not seem the type to inspire that. Burnett is one of the few that really seem to get after it out there. We have to find someone or something to light a fire on that side of the ball or again we can only hope for incremental improvement in 2011 and that will not be enough to take us where we want to go.
5) If we can find a way to win in Athens next Saturday night it will put a shine on what has been a pretty dull season. This group has the potential to win but they will have to play their best game and not beat themselves. I'm hoping they release all of the pent up emotion they have in their tanks next Saturday night and leave all of us including themselves with a positive impression of what the 2010 team accomplished.

Go Jackets!

That first AA TD run was just him breaking tackles. Refs blew that call big time. Awful block in the back call.

Im hoping AA might get drafted in the late rounds of the NFL draft. You guys think its possible?

Im hoping AA might get drafted in the late rounds of the NFL draft. You guys think its possible?
I think Dwyer has taught us well to wait until the combine to form an opinion on this. With a good combine, Allen can do well in the draft.

I'm not sure I agree about the defense

I think they're starting to get a little confidence in the system, and starting to play better. I think we need more playmakers at linebacker (or older playmakers), but Isiah Johnson, Butler, Cross, and Tarrant seem to be playing hard. Tarrant sure seemed to play with passion. Attaochu and Burnett are looking pretty good, but they're both young.

Groh's defenses at UVa seemed to play tough and fired up, and I don't remember him being a shrinking violet up there. Maybe our D wasn't ready for that kind of motivation--they've been beaten up for two years. I'd give them credit for keeping us in the game yesterday. I'd be happier if they shut Duke out, though. Duke's up there on offense, though.

Don't care much for draft talk, but AA will make and excellent full back in the NFL. BLOCKS well, is not afraid of contact, has the toughness it takes to play fullback, and has great hands. He is perfect for the full back position.

I just wanted to compliment AA on his effort not only yesterday but all season. If we had 10 other guys on offense and 11 more on defense that played as hard as AA we would be undefeated.

He was relentless yesterday and delivered just as much punishment as he took. He embodies what I describe as, "a football player". He loves the game, he loves contact and he never quits.

I was hoping Anthony might be able to transfer those qualities to the rest of the team this year but for some reason, it didn't happen. He should have been a captain of this team.

Just a few other thoughts on the team and season:

1) Congratulations to this group for getting bowl eligible. Looking over the year to end with that result with this group was a big achievement. We need all the extra practice time we can get as we build for 2011.
2) I hope this season has taught our younger players that nothing comes easy. You have to work and play harder than the other guy if you expect to beat him.
3) PJ needs to take a long hard look at his own performance this year. His mojo did not work well this year. He has made a lot of bad play calls and has not been able to inspire this group. He is still the right man for the job but he did not get the best out of this group in 2010.
4) We need to find a playmaker at the QB position. I hope we have one coming or in the program. Other than that, I think we have the ingredients to have a pretty good offense in 2011.
5) I am concerned about our defense. They still do not play with any passion. Groh does not seem the type to inspire that. Burnett is one of the few that really seem to get after it out there. We have to find someone or something to light a fire on that side of the ball or again we can only hope for incremental improvement in 2011 and that will not be enough to take us where we want to go.
5) If we can find a way to win in Athens next Saturday night it will put a shine on what has been a pretty dull season. This group has the potential to win but they will have to play their best game and not beat themselves. I'm hoping they release all of the pent up emotion they have in their tanks next Saturday night and leave all of us including themselves with a positive impression of what the 2010 team accomplished.

Go Jackets!

Exactly. I could not agree more. I am seriously concerned at how we do all the little things wrong.

ex. Trying to scoop the fumbled Duke kick return. Fall on the ball and we get easy points(3 or maybe 7), if you try and scoop and miss they have a good chance of getting the ball back ex. Touchback.

There are countless examples of this in every game we play. Doing the little things right is ALL coaching. He has showed that he needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out what he needs to do to reach THESE players.

Still the guy for the job, but the great ones know when they need to change things. We will see if he can put down his pride.

I think it is not only possible, but probable assuming he continues his same or better effort through the remainder of the season. He might do as well or possibly even better than Dwyer...who can say?

AA may have not posted the most retarded numbers this season, but his career has been nothing short of impressive. He has proven his running ability, his blocking ability, his durability, and even his catching ability. He is a very versatile athlete and is probably good enough to play in multiple positions in the NFL. Look for him to go in the second or third rounds with a decent combine.

As far as the little things go; I don't think he had the problems at Navy. Maybe we have less experienced players across the board or he just assumes a BCS conference player should know little things like falling on the ball or not jumping the count. Me, I learned all that in the 7th grade.

In his press conference, PJ expressed his frustration with the group. he specifically cited the Duke fumble that we failed to fall on and became a touchback. He also talked about illegal procedure penalties that occur on a different side from the where the play is started.

He stated that he has tried up - downs and other disciplinary /motivational measures without success. He admitted that they as coaches have to do a better job. there was real frustration in his talk.

In the post game radio interview, Wes asked PJ about his half time talk. Wes said words to the effect of, Tell us about your half time talk with the team, some would say it was motivational or perhaps inspirational. PJ said and I quote, "I would call it a getting your ass chewed out session." He went on to say he told the team he had had enough of their mistakes and stupid errors and general lack of giving enough of a damn to do things right.

PJ knows there is something wrong with this group and I think he is totally frustrated that he has not been able to fix it. I look for him to use this season as an opportunity for a lot introspection and as a supreme example of what not to do going forward for the balance of his remaining players.

Go Jackets!

Re: I'm not sure I agree about the defense

I think they're starting to get a little confidence in the system, and starting to play better. I think we need more playmakers at linebacker (or older playmakers), but Isiah Johnson, Butler, Cross, and Tarrant seem to be playing hard. Tarrant sure seemed to play with passion. Attaochu and Burnett are looking pretty good, but they're both young.

Groh's defenses at UVa seemed to play tough and fired up, and I don't remember him being a shrinking violet up there. Maybe our D wasn't ready for that kind of motivation--they've been beaten up for two years. I'd give them credit for keeping us in the game yesterday. I'd be happier if they shut Duke out, though. Duke's up there on offense, though.

I loved Tarrant's block at the 5 yard line on Butler's pick 6. That kind of play is what has been missing on offense all year long. Play threw the whistle.

Well if you look at the draft boards they have AA in the 4-5 round. I believe he will move up. The combine he will be prepared to make his mark there. He will trim down and be speedy at the combine it seems thats what they look for there speed. If you remember Ray Rice of Rutgers who now plays for The Ravens he trimmed down and his 40 speed was around 4.48 time. He was drafted and now look how he is. The other thing the teams are looking for is Character and NO BAGGAGE. AA has Character and NO BAGGAGE. I know he will make us all proud at the combine...Which a good combine equals high draft.

Back