Any chance Pena could win QB job?

Big Bubba Ray

Dodd-Like
Just wondering if Pena has the tools to take the starting QB job in spring practice. Chan did say that all jobs were open after the "performance" in our most recent outing.

BBR

Can't rule anybody out at this point. I have to believe though that with Bilbo's arm strength and athleticism, IF he is healthy (thumb injury from way back), and IF he wants it bad enuf, then he will surely get the nod. What's important if he does get it, is that he gets the chanceSSSS that AJ got....if so, we will be in good shape IMO the second half of the year, especially if the OL with all Jr.'s & one Sr., lives up to it's potential. No matter who starts, including AJ, the running game, defense, and ST's will have to carry the load the first 4-5 games. THWG

To me it makes sense to place all of them in the pot and see how each develops during the Spring drills.

Since Suggs seemed unsure and very slow in his reactions, I would be hesitant to use his experience as a factor. In fact, his performance should be a detriment at this time.

Since Bilbo did not see appreciable time, he has little playing experience, so it seems feasable to place them all in the mix as equals and see which one performs best in the Spring.

wink.gif

Wow. I wish I knew the answer to that!

I guess I'd say I hope so. I hope he comes on strong enough to be a serious contender. We need a dramatic improvement at QB. The reports on him out of HS sound pretty good as do the reports on Reggie and Pat. Hopefully, we'll get a look at Al in Spring Practice. One thing's for sure and that's that last years QB product was embarrassingly bad. A gifted young QB with a fire in his belly and good natural instincts shouldn't have much trouble with the competition.

I think it's wide open for the starting QB.

A buddy in Tampa relayed some comments from Chan when the coach spoke to the local Tech Club last week. Said buddy got the feeling the coaching staff are hoping Pena can play this fall (although Chan didn't directly say this). Buddy Geis was also described as someone who can tailor the offense around "an inexperienced quarterback", which includes Bilbo as well.

FWIW, it seems some of the projections from Greg Garret and others was that Carter would be most likely of the 3 freshmen to win the job, followed by Ball and then Pena. The thinking was that Carter was the most "polished" of the three.

Looking at Pena's numbers, he has a surprising balance of run and pass (I think 1200 yds rushing and 1600 yds passing his senior year). From the tape that I saw of the three, it seemed that Al had the best running ability, and Ball the best arm.

More than anything, I would guess who can digest the playbook the fastest would have to have the edge.

I don't look for Bilbo to get the starting nod. He's been here 2+ years, and still cannot consistently take a snap from under center.

I wouldn't count him out. His dad was a coach if I recall correctly. He's with the team now. Has Spring and Summer to work out with the wide recievers and get stronger more polished. I wouldn't be surprised if Ball and Carter are here this summer as well. Not sure what restictions the NCAA has on that. SHHHHHH. My questions about that on signing day were dodged on purpose. Could tell.

It'll be really interesting in the Fall. Most of the time the most significant improvement and developement comes in two a days during the Fall.

I'm very glad Pena is here for Spring though. Gives him a better chance.

Seems similar to Rivers at NCSt, who I think is a awesome players. He enrolled early. Went through spring practice. Worked out with team in summer. Was the starter first game. His dad was his HS coach.

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by 71Bee:
Is AJ Suggs completely out of it even before spring practice?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If Suggs steps up his game significantly, it sure won't say much for BO'B. He's going to have to practice EXTREMELY well to overcome that last play of the half vs. Fresno.

"Being There" is the movie name you were looking for, 71bee.

Some practice better than they play. I think that we need to point to the spring game. 4 QB's, 2 on each team, with each playing a quarter.

For what it's worth, Coach said as soon as a player signs his LOI and faxes it in, he'll get a playbook (QB's). Study up, boys.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
"Being There" is the movie name you were looking for, 71bee.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks Bellyseries,

It may be necessary to prune some branches from our tree this winter but it will come back stronger in the spring.

Yes, but not by the end of Fall practice. Barring an injury @ QB, Pena will start out rsing. If QBs again prove incompetent, Pena could be given a shot by 3rd-4th game. An injury & Pena will have to be ready to b/u. Otherwise, I think, all 3 QBs rs. Similar to when Bilbo, Landry & Johnson rsed in '01.

i hope not....i dont think we can realistically expect a true freshman to win more than 6 games with our schedule

I really have no idea as to who our signal caller will be but I hope AJ is not in the mix. I feel if we are forced to go with AJ that is an admission that we are in deep trouble.
I hope the staff will bite the bullet and play the best of the young rifles and develop them. In this way we are building for the future and we just could get lucky and see one of the kids play beyond his years. It seems that we have some kids
that have the talent but I hope they will build an offense around the QB rather than force the kid
to become confused by having to digest so much so early. Anyway, it is going to be interesting.

I would doubt that any of the Fr will be able to be sucessful unless Hollings is back whole to take the pressure off..I believe I heard Pena is more of an athlete than a skilled QB at this point.

Back