Any recruiting news from the Lagrange RB?

No announcements are usually made unless there's a committment and Skyler probably won't announce until late January. I was told this week that our chances with him were 50%. FWIW, the other RB we're after, Tashard Choice, was listed at 70%. I'm not sure what the effect would be if one committed first on the other back.

It's really a tossup if I had to pick just one. They are both extremely similar in height, weight & speed. Obviously Skyler is a little more touted... he's rated higher and had more early offers. Though interest in Tashard seems to be growing from other schools by the day. I personally don't think there's a huge difference between the two though in overall talent, but I'll try and ask Garrett this week what the inside thought on that is.

From what I've seen on them, they both possesses game breaking speed. Choice seems to have great open field vision. I think we really need to get him b/c he has great hands out of the backfield and could project as a real player at RB or WR IMO. Skyler has the skills you look for in a top everydown back. He's tough between the tackles and possesses great inside vision. He can find holes very well and if he gets past the front, he'll be in a foot race with the LBs and DBs... good luck. I think maybe if I had to pick one as a true TB, I'd take Thornton but I really like the skills Choice has and his ability to catch the ball and return kicks (I think he'd compare favorably to Dez White, who could have been a great WR, RB or S). If somehow we ended up with those 2 & Grant, we would NOT need to even recruit a RB next year. We'd be in great shape. Hope that helps!

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Thanks. What is his H.S.?
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Choice plays for Lovejoy High School. Reminds me. What's going on with Heard, Choice's team mate!? Haven't heard anything about him lately. Seem to remember he's visiting 1/10. That weekend will be another important one.

Go Jackets!

GTTerrific, from what I read on the different premium services and through friends that know a little about what's going on, it seems that Tech is cooling on Heard because of academic concerns.
I don't know personally if this is true but that is what I have learned from different sources.

Sunday's AJC shows just how different the recruiting at UGA and Tech is. Even while the paper is bragging on Gailey's recruiting efforts, this is paled by another article on UGA's steamrolling ease. It is very discouraging to think how long it may take to have equal talent to UGA, if ever. It seems only probation, scandel, or coaching changes at UGA ever give us a short-lived chance to equal their recruiting.
BOO

Guys, UGA has recruited very well (based solely on the recruiting rankings) for several years now. This is nothing new.

In fact, here is how UGA ranked (and a few others) over the last few years (that I can find info on):

2002 - No info (anybody got any rankings, pls pass them on)
2001 - #9 per Rivals (F$U #1, GT #24, Clemson #31 - Clemson ranked #10 by Lemming and SuperPreps)
2000 - No info (GT ranked #25 by PrepStars)
1999 - UGA #5 per SuperPreps (F$U #12, UNC#14, UVA#19, GT#24)
1998 - UGA #5 per SuperPreps (F$U #4, UNC #12, GT not ranked in Top 30)
1997 - No info (UGA not in Top 15 per Cornwell)
1996 - UGA #17 per Lindy's (GT #11) #30 per Athlons (GT #12) (NOTE: This was the year of Quincy, when we got big time recruiting points for signing him, even tho he wound up at UGA)
1995 - UGA #14 per Lindy's (F$U #4, UNC #20 - GT not ranked)

So over the last 8 years, I have info for 5 years - each of those years UGA was ranked in the top 20, and over the past 4 years they were ranked #5, #5, and #9.

How it translates onto the field is another issue, but they have always been ranked highly, at least in 3 out of every 4 years.

When talking about recruiting of the past decade, its hard not to see that we just don't have the manpower the Dawgs do... according to insiders.com "players in the NFL" links you can see that we just don't compete, so whats new

UGAg players in NFL 38
GT players in NFL 13

shocked.gif

For this years recruiting, Dawgs have 20 commits showing, averaging 3.05 stars

GT has 12 commits showing, averaging 2.42 stars

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8

Listen to TIAR,B. I can't believe there are folks here that expect us to match UGA's recruiting 'rankings' in Gailey's first year. UGA has, and most likely always will, recruit more highly touted HS players than us.

Curiously enough, I returned from a Falcons game today in which I saw a 'listed as 5'11"' guy named Jessie Tuggle getting his jersey retired at halftime. He played his college ball at Valdosta St. On the Falcons team, they had quality pro players like Juran Bolden (Mississippi Delta St.), Gerald McBurrows (Kansas), OL Garza (Texas A&M Kingsville), Ray Buchanan (Louisville), among others. I think Travis Hall was from hyphenated California school. The Lions QB was this McMahon guy from Rutgers or somewhere. My point is that, although the UGAs and FSUs of the world put more than their share in the NFL, the league is full of guys from obscure places. FULL OF THESE GUYS! Many Falcons are from Virginia Tech. Now, the Hokies have built a rep as being a top notch college program, but they have never, NEVER, recruited highly regarded classes, perhaps a few highly regarded individuals, but VT has always relied on underrated recruits. So has K-State. Oklahoma's first NC was won with a bunch of nobodies and JUCOs that Stoops didn't recruit. Tech is not in the SEC aka the 'Suspiciously Eligible Conference' so were are not going to nab the big names that Georgia does. That doesn't mean that our coaches aren't recruiting well. We'll just have to wait to see the results on the field. Wake Forest beat us this year with a team that might have had 5 guys on it that we would have even offered a scholly to.

bdg - we're just going to have to get used to uga recruiting like that. It won't really be fair to compare our efforts to theirs for a while, so I don't even look at their anymore. They are one of the top hottest programs in the country right now and are recruiting like Tennessee, Florida & FSU did in the 90's. Right now they can just pick and choose who they want. I hate to admit it but everything kind of fell together at the same time for them. It still won't guarantee them success on the field but they'll likely recruit pretty well for the next few years if they have decent years on the field.

Back