Any Theories???

scatman22

Flats Noob
It boggles my mind that we are 1-9 since 1990 at UVA. This spans multiple HC's for both teams, different players, etc.

UVA is clearly not a good team, it isn't a hostile environment, etc. Does anyone have any theories as to why we can't win there?

Does UVA see us as a much bigger rival than we view them? They seem to always play with great intensity when they play us up there and we always seem flat. It doesn't matter how much better we are than them, they always have our number in CVille.

It is very bizarre. I would love to hear what you guys think of our so-called UVA "curse".

One thing that is pretty common in those losses was that UVA had a massive OL, and they ran it down our throats....Of course, I don't know why it mainly happen in C'ville, but it does.

One thing that is pretty common in those losses was that UVA had a massive OL, and they ran it down our throats....Of course, I don't know why it mainly happen in C'ville, but it does.

Understand, but why didn't they run it down Idaho's throat?

Understand, but why didn't they run it down Idaho's throat?

Hold on to what I am about to say:

It IS POSSIBLE that Idaho has better DL's than us, and maybe as good of LB's. We are just not getting top notch talent/size in these positions.

But, it is possible it is not the reason, but I don't have other theories.

It boggles my mind that we are 1-9 since 1990 at UVA. This spans multiple HC's for both teams, different players, etc.

UVA is clearly not a good team, it isn't a hostile environment, etc. Does anyone have any theories as to why we can't win there?

Does UVA see us as a much bigger rival than we view them? They seem to always play with great intensity when they play us up there and we always seem flat. It doesn't matter how much better we are than them, they always have our number in CVille.

It is very bizarre. I would love to hear what you guys think of our so-called UVA "curse".

Take out Wake and Duke and look up our road record in the ACC for the last 20 years. It's not .100 but it's not real strong either.

We lost this game for two reasons: Pam Ward and Heather Dinich.

There IS something screwy. I'm still baffled at the game in the late 90's when UVA was playing their 3rd string qb, we had Joe Hamilton, we were up 17-0 in the first half, and LOST. UNC had our number like that until we broke thru in the late 90's. Had a similar string with Duke until about 1991. BUT we almost always play well against Clemson. Hard to explain.

There IS something screwy. I'm still baffled at the game in the late 90's when UVA was playing their 3rd string qb, we had Joe Hamilton, we were up 17-0 in the first half, and LOST. UNC had our number like that until we broke thru in the late 90's. Had a similar string with Duke until about 1991. BUT we almost always play well against Clemson. Hard to explain.

I think there is something to the whole regional excitement issue. The ACC can't field a top level team and that make us look bad to the press. But they make you play all over the place against teams that matter little to your backyard and without the regional excitment, letdown games occur more often. This is clearly why we play Clemson well and teams like BC, UVA, VPI not so. And this is another reason why I'd like to go to south and north divisions.

Hold on to what I am about to say:

It IS POSSIBLE that Idaho has better DL's than us, and maybe as good of LB's. We are just not getting top notch talent/size in these positions.

But, it is possible it is not the reason, but I don't have other theories.
I think you are on to something.Idaho may be better on defense than we are.We are in bad shape period.

Yeah, it helps to remember this is not the first time we have seen a team and a player with high hopes play below their standard.

I don't buy the matchup theories. They were prepared for us and we were not prepared for them. I kept hoping we would wake up in time to pull it out and the D gave us three shots at it despite early struggles themselves.

I believe they had 500 total yards against Idaho. Not sure of break down. Made a lot mistakes.

Back