Any UNC commits we can take a stab at?

beej67

new around here
The incoming freshmen in their class are still fair game, are they not? Did we lose any recruiting battles to them?

Vad Lee needs to get to work....

AND Andy McCollum. What are the rules about contacting other school's players? I assume our coaches cannot but someone like Vad Lee could, correct?

I believe the player can contact another school, but we can't contact them

Aren't UNC's players free to leave to ANY school they want to now that Butch has been fired?

I fully expect the AUC to repeatedly contact each and every one of UNC's commitments and produce a high quality in-depth article about anyone who is even hinting that there is a possibility that they might consider a different school based on the new information.

After all, that's what they do for all schools, right? :facepalm:

Aren't UNC's players free to leave to ANY school they want to now that Butch has been fired?

Thought that was not true-- thought the rule was they committed to a school, not a coach. So if the school wants to keep them, they have to honor that committment. But I could be wrong.

I've often heard reference to the idea that a school had released a player from his commitment. I don't think they are required to, and they might be able to attach restrictions regarding where they can go. I think a coaching change is generally considered grounds to request a release (why would a new coach want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there?). While an established player would have to wait one year to play after transferring to another BCS school, I don't know how that would be treated for an incoming freshman who had not played yet. Since freshmen often redshirt, anyway, it might not make much of a difference. Someone on this board will know the rules.

I believe once the LOI is signed, they have to sit out a year unless they transfer to a Div 1aa school - no matter when the transfer is requested or what the reason behind it (unless the NCAA grants a special circumstance).

I believe once the LOI is signed, they have to sit out a year unless they transfer to a Div 1aa school - no matter when the transfer is requested or what the reason behind it (unless the NCAA grants a special circumstance).

Incorrect. As long as they have not started class they can go to another school without penalty. But UNC has to allow them to do so. Most of the time they will if their is a legit reason, like a coach being fired.

Incorrect. As long as they have not started class they can go to another school without penalty. But UNC has to allow them to do so. Most of the time they will if their is a legit reason, like a coach being fired.

I stand corrected. I did the actual research this time. Here's the link:

Letter of Intent FAQs

Basically, you can request a release from the school, but they don't have to grant it. If they don't grant it, you can still transfer, but you'll lose a year of eligibility.

Back