Any word on next year's non-conf opponents?

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
Any word on next year\'s non-conf opponents?

The only games that are locked in are UConn and UGAg, which leaves us one or two empty spots depending on a 10 or 11 game schedule.

Are there any rumors as to who we might play? I'd love to see us have a home-and-home with a team like Ole Miss or Tulane, or just a one time deal with East Carolina or Memphis. We need to schedule real teams (even if they are C-USA) instead of the Citadel, New Mexico State, SW Texas Cow College and the like. Playing those kinds of games do nothing for the program.

Re: Any word on next year\'s non-conf opponents?

I would LOVE the opportunity to play AT Ole Miss. Universities around the country should take a note from them on how to tailgate. Nobody does it better than Ole Miss.

BBR

Ole Miss already has 11 games on the docket. Arkansas looks to have openings. Florida A&M is an independent with only 2 games scheduled. Navy looks available, as usual. I'd like to play USF.
Here is a link to 2004 schedules, let me know if y'all see a better place to get them.

2004 schedules

Guys - am I missing something?

Won't we be playing the new ACC schedule next year? Won't Miami and VPI be in the conf? I would imagine we might pick up one of these.

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
Guys - am I missing something?

Won't we be playing the new ACC schedule next year? Won't Miami and VPI be in the conf? I would imagine we might pick up one of these.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We will be, but we'll keep the 8-game ACC schedule, so there will be 2 ACC teams that won't play us next year.

We'll still be playing 8 in conference games regardless of adding VT and Miami which means we still have at least one more out of conference game to pick up in addition to Uconn and UGAg. I don't know if we can play 12 next year so I would guess one additional would be all.

Somebody mentioned Arkansas. I don't want any part of that. They have a modest reputation but can be a bruising team. I like playing the big dogs because there is glory in it. But Arkansas doesn't get the respect it deserves so winning there brings limited recognition.

Wouldn't Colorado be nice? You get a highly regarded program and revenge for 1990.

Originally posted by nathogt:
Somebody mentioned Arkansas. I don't want any part of that. They have a modest reputation but can be a bruising team. I like playing the big dogs because there is glory in it. But Arkansas doesn't get the respect it deserves so winning there brings limited recognition.

Wouldn't Colorado be nice? You get a highly regarded program and revenge for 1990.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We could make sure the down marker had 5 downs on it for Colorado possessions.

I think we have a home and home scheduled with Louisville. Does anyone know when that starts?

Nevermind -- 2008 + 2009

Louisville Schedule

There's also a Notre Dame home and home in 2006 + 2007
Notre Dame Future Schedule

I haven't been able to find a page with GT's future OOC tho. Anyone?

A home and home with a Pac 10 team. Oregon is my favorite choice, followed at a distance by either USC or UCLA. I would love to go to Eugene.

Or, with Stansbury on peoples minds, Or. State.

I'd like a home and home with the PAC 10 too but the teams should be Cal, Stanford, USC or UCLA.

We are Georgia Tech and we don't play little bittie Oregon.

Seriously, Oregon does nothing for either teams, while the California teams give you exposure to a good recruiting area and three of them offer similar academics prestige.

It'll almost surely be a Big East team. With Temple, Miami & Va Tech leaving the Big E & UConn coming in, the Big E teams will be looking for games, any games.
The ACC will help as much as possible. GT already has an opening, so it's just a matter of getting a fit & returning the game in the future (probably '08). Really shouldn't be a problem getting Syr, Pitt, BC, WVa or Rut worked in.
Also, remember that Mia & VT will be going from 7 to 8 conference games so both will have to drop a non-con, probably picked up by the BE teams.

Here's the way it shapes up:

'04-UConn home & @ Ga. Need a home gm, can return the gm in '08.
'05-SET with UConn, Ga home & @ Aub.
'06-ND home & @ Ga. Need a home gm. Can't return, so it'll be a no-name.
'07-Ga home & @ ND. Need a home gm. Can't return, so it'll be a no-name.
'08-Louisville, Aub(supposedly) home & @ return of '04 gm, Ga.
'09-Ga home & @ Louis. Need a home gm. Can return in '11.

Originally posted by GT Ace:

Also, remember that Mia & VT will be going from 7 to 8 conference games so both will have to drop a non-con, probably picked up by the BE teams.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Miami currently plays F$U as a non-conference game so the transition to 8 conference games won't be any different, for the F$U game will just count as a conference game.

Same situation with VT and UVA

Quoted by Midatlantech:

"We are Georgia Tech and we don't play little bittie Oregon

Seriously, Oregon does nothing for either teams, while the California teams give you exposure to a good recruiting area and three of them offer similar academics prestige"

Obviously, you don't follow western football and the rise of the Ducks over the last several years. One of the reasons for their success is coach Mike Bellotti's (sp) ability to raid SoCal in recruiting.

Now, I admit my sentimental attachment to the Ducks as my secondary favorite, (my dad was a Duck and played with Norm Van Brocklin in the late '40s. They actually finished #5 one season during that period) but they are a fun team to watch. Plus, a trip to Eugene and seeing the Jackets in rip-roaring Autzen Stadium would be a blast.... to me.
smile.gif

Back