Any word on the defense?

I saw the opposite from MJ at times. I thought the Lbs was compensating for him a lot. If you don't believe me watch the UNC game and watch him not maintaining his gap or contain. This cause a chain reaction that cause the Lb to be out of position.
I believe our back 7 is very good. I believe Burnett stats skews the perception of our back 7. No our CBs are not shutdown but they do have great ball skills. And I really see our opinions changing bout our Lbs very soon. They LBs are playmakers and very opportunistic. I see two great seasons from Griffin and Jefferson.

While this isn't the key feature you look for, our defensive coaching staff seems to be doing a damn good job at recruiting if recent events are to be taken into account.

The DL, particularly Michael Johnson, had to compensate for the inexperienced LB's and secondary a lot. Tenuta's zone blitzing scheme was also kind of weird for DL's, since many times they opened up holes for blitzes more than just rushing the QB.

I'm pretty confident in the defense next year if only because we were so horribly inexperienced past the DL last year. They will not be one of the great Tenuta defenses, but they'll hold up enough to win most games IMO.
Which great Tenuta defense? You mean the 2004 group that gave up 18.9 per game? There is very little difference between last year's team and any of Tentua's defenses. Maybe a few more sacks, but more INTs. Take last year's numbers and they fit quite well into the history of Tenuta's teams. I believe we will have the best overall defensive backfield we've had in many years and if our LBs improve we will be fine.

Wommack will get better or PJ will show him the door. He did as well as Tenuta last year and expect we will be better this year because we have some guys who like to punish people, i. e. Sed Griffin, Brad Jefferson, Morgan Burnett, Mario Edwards, Derrick Morgan, Egbuniwe, Jarrard Tarrant and Dominique Reese to name a few. They have another year under their belts and they are feed up with being second class ciitizens.

I think we are evolving from choir boys to ass kickers. PJ won't put up with anything less than their best effort that goes for the players and the coaches.

Go Jackets!

Back