Anybody else that felt like strangling

The Jacket

The Coat
When the idiot in black and white whistled the return dead on account of it being a "Fair Catch"?

I guess shielding your eyes is unacceptable.

Lots of fair catch mistakes in the past 24-hours. I've never seen anything like this before.

When the idiot in black and white whistled the return dead on account of it being a "Fair Catch"?

I guess shielding your eyes is unacceptable.

He clearly didn't signal a fair catch. But if the ref thought he did, then he HAD to throw a flag. You can't run with the ball after signaling a fair catch. If you do, it's a penalty. The ref had to let the play go or throw the flag. So he screwed up twice on the same crappy call.

That's why the definition of the fair catch is "waving your hand back and forth more than once", with the key phrase being "more than once". That way you wouldn't have this confusion...I guess that ref didn't bother to really read the rule book. That's also why the refs from the UConn game didn't call a fair catch on that TD play.

He clearly didn't signal a fair catch. But if the ref thought he did, then he HAD to throw a flag. You can't run with the ball after signaling a fair catch. If you do, it's a penalty. The ref had to let the play go or throw the flag. So he screwed up twice on the same crappy call.

Agreed. It was obviously like a make-up call in baseball. He knew he was wrong but he had already whistled the play dead so he didn't want to throw gas (a flag) on the fire. In fairness, the ref thought he was right and was probably leery of being wrong after the UCONN no-callon Friday night.

The call, while wrong, costs us 10-12 yards of field position so it could have been a lot worse. I think it's one of those times where the ref just gets it wrong but once the whistle blows, there's no changing the wrong call so you live with it.

On the 15 yarder vs Morgan Burnett, it was obviously the correct call. MB did everything he could to avoid the punt returner but was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was the correct call. I realize you didn't suggest it was the wrong call but some dummies around me wouldn't quit booing that call.

Back