Anyone been paying attention to Baylor this year?

In 5 year at Baylor:
2008: 4-8 (RG3's first year as starter)
2009: 4-8 (RG3 ACL in game 3; done for year)
2010: 7-6 (RG3's back for full season)
2011: 10-3 (RG3's Heisman year)
2012: 8-5

I don't understand the fascination with Baylor/Briles, and those numbers up there are why. He rode a once-in-a-generation QB to a 10-win season. Otherwise, what has he done?

Granted, this season isn't over yet, but it's my feeling that Baylor would be crushed by Oregon, FSU, several SEC teams, etc.

Art Briles is doing a GREAT job this year in Waco. They're offense has been absolutely beautiful to watch all season.

Scores thus far:
W vs Wofford: 69-3
W vs Buffalo: 70-13
W vs LA-Monroe: 70-7
W vs WVU: 73-42 (56-14 at half)

Last 5 games last year:
L vs #12 Oklahoma: 34-42
W vs #1 K-State: 52-24
W vs Texas Tech: 52-45
W vs #23 Ok-State: 41-34
W vs #17 UCLA: 49-26

I bring this up because Baylor like GT is by no means a perennial power, but since the hiring of Art Briles they seem to be heading in that direction. Didn't need a huge booster like Oregon either to rise to power. We'll see how they finish this year but I could easily see them in a BCS bowl, and if CPJ ends up being fired after next season I think we should seriously consider hiring their OC. #1 in passing, #2 in rushing, #1 in points, and haven't played their starters nearly at all in any second half.

Yep. Their OC, Philip Montgomery, calls the plays and has been with Briles for almost 15 years (and he's only like 43 years old). Could definitely be an interesting candidate...if he doesn't get a HC job sooner.

He's on his way to Texas, IMO.

Could make sense if TX were making a purely football decision. They'll likely go for the biggest name possible.

I think they'd rather win the press conference first then figure the rest out later. Briles' name doesn't have enough pizzazz.

Baylor was a completely different team by the end of the year last year than the beginning of the year though. That's why I posted their last five results from 2012. They and Texas A&M could've beaten just about anyone by bowl season last year imo.

Idk maybe I just like they're offensive balance and pace. Might be faster than Oregon except with a much better passing game.

Edit: Also tough to compare CPJs early record with Briles considering they had NO ONE on the roster when he got there, while the big 12 was very strong whereas CPJ had a fairly loaded roster handed to him in a weaker conference. Also can't say it's all RG3 considering Briles recruited him. Deserves credit for that as well.

And you guys think WE have the issue winning the games that count?

I'm probably not one of the "you guys" this argument is addressing. I tend to freak out a little less than many on here. I suspect after this season ends 8-4 I'll be one of maybe 5 fonts not calling for CPJ's head.

Just commenting on the discussion is all.

Baylor was a completely different team by the end of the year last year than the beginning of the year though. That's why I posted their last five results from 2012. They and Texas A&M could've beaten just about anyone by bowl season last year imo.

Idk maybe I just like they're offensive balance and pace. Might be faster than Oregon except with a much better passing game.

RS Junior QB in Bryce Petty vs our RS Sophomore QB as well...just sayin, the results may be similar when Vad fully grasps the offensive system.

As bad as our defense was last year, we finished 43rd in total defense. Baylor was 119th in total defense. Out of 120 teams. They allowed over 6 yards per play and let opponents convert 52% of 3rd downs, both MUCH worse than what we did.

They scored like 45 points per game last year and still lost 5 games. You guys would be having conniptions if that was us. We would be burning effigies of Art Briles right now.

Jesus Christ, as much as we complain around here about our "high school offense", you guys are interested in someone that SPENT MOST OF HIS CAREER IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Not sure why their defense matters. OP suggested we hire their OC if CPJ ends up getting canned.

I thought I read somewhere yesterday where Art Briles was quoted as saying he "wouldn't leave Baylor for all the money in the world"..?

I thought I read somewhere yesterday where Art Briles was quoted as saying he "wouldn't leave Baylor for all the money in the world"..?

But he would leave, and pay the full fare, on the next Greyhound bus just for the opportunity to leave Waco.

I get it. I follow Furman, so I'm familiar with both Elon and Wofford.

The point is, nobody cares about those games. Read this thread or any other. Poster after poster complaining that our stats are skewed because we RUTS on "weak sisters" like Duke, Elon, etc. We lose to the big boys, which is all that matters, right?

Baylor has had the following conference records under Briles:

2-6
1-7
4-4
6-3
4-5

Meanwhile Georgia Tech had the following conference records under Johnson:

5-3 (co-div. champs)
7-1 (div. champs)
4-4
5-3
5-3 (co-div. champs)

And you guys think WE have the issue winning the games that count?

And what was Baylor before his arrival. Far worse off than GT. Briles > Pawl

Full disclosure: Baylor alum here, so what follows will obviously be biased.

To fully appreciate what Briles has done, you have to understand how pathetic Baylor was before he got there. My freshman year at Baylor was the year before Briles was hired, and football games couldn't have been more lifeless. All of the conference games were essentially over by halftime. There was no hope. Briles turned that around. Briles should be graded on a curve, not just the overall records of his teams the past few of years.

Regarding this years Baylor team......I'm really drinking the Kool-Aid. We haven't really played anyone, but it's the eye test where Baylor excels. I've watched every minute of these Baylor games, and they look far beyond I've seen from them before (even the RG3 years). Offensively, if we execute we're as unstoppable as Oregon. No joke. It's not just the deep balls and Seastrunk. We have an amazing OLine and lightning quick receivers, and when we spread the field it's impossible defend against the run, the deep ball, and our short range passing attack. And Briles is great about changing formations and taking advantage of matchups offensively. Baylor has both the offensive talent and schematic advantage against just about anyone they play.

Petty is also the real deal. Amazing touch on his deep ball, tall and strong arm, and more athletic than you think. Briles is arguably the best college coach for developing QBs. His last few have been Petty, Nick Florence, RG3, Case Keenum, and Kevin Kolb. None too highly regarded recruits, but spectacularly productive in college.

Defensively Baylor is much improved. Even last year, we had horrendous showings against 'inferior' competition. This year, our run defense is legitimately good. And our pass rush is fair. Our pass defense is horrible. But with our offense, that should be good enough.

The only variables for me are how we'll play on the road and special teams. I haven't yet seen Petty play on the road, and our special teams are below average. Aside from that, it could be a special year for Baylor.

That was longer than I intended.

Briles has also definitely never said that. I wish, but he'll only say he thinks he has a good job right now.

I think ultimately he leaves but not in the short term. Baylor is building a new stadium ready for 2014, and this was Briles' big goal. It's doubtful he'll leave before playing at least one season in it. Also, UT isn't as perfect a fit as some people think. Briles doesn't even have a radio show in Waco, and he doesn't like spending a lot of time with the media. UT has their own television network. The whole UT vibe doesn't fit Briles well. My guess is he waits a year or two more, and if Baylor continues to surge we'll see what happens.

Briles has also definitely never said that. I wish, but he'll only say he thinks he has a good job right now.

I think ultimately he leaves but not in the short term. Baylor is building a new stadium ready for 2014, and this was Briles' big goal. It's doubtful he'll leave before playing at least one season in it. Also, UT isn't as perfect a fit as some people think. Briles doesn't even have a radio show in Waco, and he doesn't like spending a lot of time with the media. UT has their own television network. The whole UT vibe doesn't fit Briles well. My guess is he waits a year or two more, and if Baylor continues to surge we'll see what happens.

Snearbear? Baylor bear?

And what was Baylor before his arrival. Far worse off than GT. Briles > Pawl

Funny...like a dog seeing a squirrel or a small child seeing a shiny nickel...drawn to the latest one hit wonder.

Substitute RG3 for Briles above. Except for this....GT fans would have not given RG3 time to improve because he could not get a winning conference record in his first 2 seasons.

Everyone wanted Bill Lewis after that amazing 11-1 season at East Carolina leading them from the doldrums.

Lets put it this way also....lets say Briles is as good as advertised and is a great coach. He would be at GT 2 years tops and then we would lose him to where he would really want to be which is a Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. We have 40-50% of the athletic budget of those schools.

Back