Anyone concerned we'll be out of shape?

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone concerned we\'ll be out of shape?

Playing one game in 28 days makes me worry the team will be out of shape. Recovery time is good, but too much leads to regression. The team took 5 days off after Wake and at least 4 more after Maryland. I really hope Chan had them practicing very hard last Saturday and Sunday. In addition to staying on top for the remaining ACC games, preparation for UGa should have begun last week.

Re: Anyone concerned we\'ll be out of shape?

I'm not concerned about their conditioning but I am somewhat concerned with their timing. This is a long time between games and it can adversely affect their execution. Hope not.

I believe ther are limits on tome that they can practice between games .

Of course there are limits in practice time. But I'm talking about "game shape". Its all about how we used the practice time and if they boys worked hard or rested on their laurels.

All due respect to Duke and Roof.. and I can appreciate the concern, but for some reason, I expect us to win big on Saturday... I expect the guys to go take care of business in Durham..

I expect us to have a difficult first quarter, get untracked in the second and set the tone for the remainder of the game..

Tech wins 31-10

More concerned mentally than physically. That being said I expect us to be geeked up from the get go and get the job done. Not because we are playing Duke but that is what I expect of our guys. We need to start blowing some people out, now.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
All due respect to Duke and Roof.. and I can appreciate the concern, but for some reason, I expect us to win big on Saturday... I expect the guys to go take care of business in Durham..

I expect us to have a difficult first quarter, get untracked in the second and set the tone for the remainder of the game..

Tech wins 31-10
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Totally agree jacketguy, I actually think we could trail by as much as 7 early as we get back up to game speed. I hope Curry has a breakout game receiving.

I am predicting we never trail and have a 10pt lead at half and never look back.

That Clem's son loss was a BITTER PILL! I imagine they still see that game when they close their eyes.

If we would have won that game I season would be looking REAL different right now.

When you have an option (running) style QB it is VERY difficult for undermanned team to hang with you.

Our offensive playbook is MUCH BIGGER now than it was at Vandy and we should beat them pretty soundly and they may not score a TD against us.

I do not think we will be or should be out of shape for this game.

Our offense has been out of shape all season and it is way past time that it gets corrected.

Maybe this week will be the week.
rolleyes.gif

BW, I don't care if we only score one more point than the opposition then we could be 12-0. Take Md as an example we score 7 they score 3 we win and I don't care if thats the way all games go we win and thats the main thing. I remember Dodd back years had a team that scored very little but went 9-1 (or was it 10-1) anyway my point is to win.

Originally posted by beeware:
[QB]
Our offense has been out of shape all season and it is way past time that it gets corrected.

[QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How so? Any cute little statistics to drum up to support yourself here? Let me guess, under Roof/Mac/O'b we were more in shape than we are this year?

Are you too chicken to answer when people ask you direct questions?

remember when we use to score ALL those points and lose.

(exhibit A) hook & ladder game @ UVA
(exhibit B) Dantzler running all over us
(exhibit C) Maryland kicking 80yd FG and our old assiss. coach embarrassing our head coach

Beeware is being inconsistent.

Beeware's laws
1. Roof is soooo great
2. the GT coaches stink

Beeware's latest theory
Beeware will be disappointed if the offense struggles in Durham.

If the laws are correct shouldn't we expect to struggle in Durham?

MORE IMPORTANTLY... If we fail to struggle offensively in Durham won't that prove at least one of Beeware's 'Laws' to be false?

They'll give us a good game, but if they go up at all, I think it will be on a freak play early in the game.

I think Chan keeps our troops humbled with the memories of Clemson, and probably has or will ask them if they want it to happen again with Duke. The answer will be no and I think we come out and win.

I'm not concerned in the least about conditioning...
I'm concerned about how the team handles playing as a clear favorite on the road...
Coach Gailey stressed after the Maryland game that character was going to be the issue during these next 2 weeks as they prepare for Duke...
I'm interested to see the character that they display especially the senior leadership...
At every twist during the season coach Gailey has listed the keys to the next game and in every game except Clemson these keys were easily identified during the course of the game ...

GAME 1 vs BYU Gailey stressed Composure on the road in a hostile environment with a young QB... although the team lost the players never lost their composure... Reggie played fairly well and even led the team on a late drive before a turnover spelled the end

GAME 2 vs AUBURN Gailey stressed heart... playing as if the team belonged on the same field as Auburn although everyone said they didn't...
17-3 nuf said!!!

GAME 3 vs F$U Gailey wanted Reggie to learn to be aware of the game as a whole... situation, time, ball control, assume leadership on the field... well played game by Reggie... only a big comeback by F$U won them the game

GAME 4 vs Clemson... Gailey wanted the Reggie to not get sacked "it's a loss of a down and the yards"... team was a no show... nothing accomplished on the field...

GAME 5 vs Vandy... Coach had to reiterate the previous weeks lessons about not getting sacked... tough game but Reggie maybe played to uptight and didn't come out of his shell until late... OT win

GAME 6 vs NCSt... Coach continued to press the issue of Reggie not getting sacked and begin to look for secondary and tertiary receivers...
BIG WIN...

GAME 7 vs WF... Coach began to relate how Reggie should learn to throw the ball away and not force it... Reggie played well and didn't have to drop back at all in the final 7 minutes as TECH rolled approx 90 yds in 17 plays ... all on the ground.... IIRC zero interceptions

GAME 8 vs UMd ... Coach began combining lessons i.e. ball control, game awareness, and identification of passing situations where a completion was not available and throwing the ball away.... occassionally Reggie would launch the ball 10 rows into the stands... only 1 interception on a great play by the UMd DB...

Thursday is the next call in show... Gailey has already stressed the need for the team to display character I'm certain that the Clemson game has been mentioned more than once in team meetings, on field practice and in the film room...

I have seen this team respond well everytime that Coach Gailey has challenged them this season and I expect no less on Saturday...
And while many are concerned/ upset about the extended layoff I believe that the Coaches have used this time as a mini- summer camp and have been able to focus on development of Reggie as the QB on this team... as well as create some plays designed specifically with his talents in mind...
The Jackets are a different team than they were on August 28th and it is with that in mind that I'm going to watch them play in durham this weekend...

Jackets 24- Duke 6

Back