Anyone else feel like Michigan is on the verge of "pulling a Nebraska"?

RamblinPeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Just getting that vibe, would hate to see it as Michigan is one of the few schools that I actually respect due to tradition, solid academics, etc. They're no Tech, but for the most part good people in my experience.

I see them taking the same route as Nebraska did, long coach search, following a legend, completely new system, etc. Lots of parallels.

Sadly, this move will probably make sure that Ohio State continues its dominance over ridiculously overrated BIG Televen.

Thoughts?

Could be....2 different situations, IMO..Callahan came in with his "pro-style" wide-open passing attack as a system. A system must recruit it's parts to be successful. It is usually very inflexable......RR has been successful on the college level with his offense, and it has been noted before that he adjusts to his talent... Streeter to Dantzler @ clemson for example....And putting FB aside, it is much easier to get an 18 year old to move to Ann Arbor, Michigan than to Lincoln, Nebraska.Michigan will be in the title game in 3-4 years.

Personally, I believe Michigan sees the light. Give it a year or two, but RR will dominate the league with his offense and the speed he will get in there.

Its been touched on in this thread but the bottom line is Nebraska and Callahan failed because you cannot recruit a pro style "run and shoot" passing attack when you are in the midwest. There just aren't the athletes there to make that system work. The South East, Texas, California, sure, but not in Nebraska. Those teams live off the pound it in your face running attack with corn fed lineman and a couple of bruising tailbacks.

The Big 1(1)0 is slooooooooow. RR will runs circles around them when he gets his players and system installed.

Remember Ohio State's domination in the conference on their way to the BCSCG? They looked like they had weights tied to their ankles when on the same field as UF.

Its been touched on in this thread but the bottom line is Nebraska and Callahan failed because you cannot recruit a pro style "run and shoot" passing attack when you are in the midwest. There just aren't the athletes there to make that system work. The South East, Texas, California, sure, but not in Nebraska. Those teams live off the pound it in your face running attack with corn fed lineman and a couple of bruising tailbacks.
Offense wasn't really Nebraska's problem. They scored 33 points/game, and were 11th in total offense this year. The defense, however, was pathetic. 114th in scoring defense giving up almost 38 ppg. That's why Callahan got fired. Nebraska has a long tradition of having stout defenses, and his was one of the worst in the country this year.

Remember Ohio State's domination in the conference on their way to the BCSCG? They looked like they had weights tied to their ankles when on the same field as UF.

Which is exactly what should happen against lightning fast HellEssYouuuuu team.

If you watched any WV games this year, you saw, in my opinion, the most exciting offense in the NCAA.

Rodriguez' style of offense looks like it's been almost custom designed to capitalize on the makeup of the rest of the Big 10, and I believe that he'll make a positive impact there.

Your comparison is valid!

Yes what is often overlooked in these types of situations is the culture, history and tradition of the program. God did not intend for Nebraska to run the West Coast offense. It is not in their DNA to change from a brutish punishing ground attack to a fancy dan passing attack. The change even made their defense go soft.

Michigan is not a spread option program and never will be. This will have the same shelf life that Callahan had at Nebraska. Rich would rather trick you than line up and punch you in the face until you give up. That is not in the genetic makeup of Michigan football. This will be a colossal failure of epic proportions and it could not happen to a nicer bunch of a holes than the Wolverines.

Ohio State will be loving this.

Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame is yet another example of this.

Go Jackets!

With all due respect, the Michigan tradition of smash mouth Big 10 football hasn't exactly cut it against arch enemy Ohio State, in a rivalry easily as intense as GT vs UGA.

As half of a GT / OSU happily mixed marriage, I was against anything that upset the lovely status quo characterized by the last four years of embarrassing ineptitude on the part of the less than big Blue.

I think that Rodriguez will succeed in the Big 10 and continue to lose to The Ohio State University, as is obviously God's will and UM's manifest destiny.

Ain't tradition great!

Well I guess Im in the minority here, but I definitely see the same problems that Jerry mentioned. I guess we'll see how it comes out in the wash.

Also, will be the first coach without ties to Schembechler, etc. Regardless, with all the shake ups in college football these days, I hope PJ stays with us a long time and has some assistants ready to move to the big time when he retires in 20 years with a couple of new rings (let me dream :)), the coaching carrasel is just getting worse every year.

There is no "genetic" makeup of Michigan football. What they're interested in is winning pure and simple They have the athletes to run any system and, in fact, Rodriguez's system is probably closer to Michigan's roots than what they run now, since it's such a run oriented attack. I don't guess many of you realize that Michigan actually passed the ball 384 times last season? Or that they gained more first downs via the pass than running the ball, or gained 500 yards more in the air than on the ground?

There is no "genetic" makeup of Michigan football. What they're interested in is winning pure and simple They have the athletes to run any system and, in fact, Rodriguez's system is probably closer to Michigan's roots than what they run now, since it's such a run oriented attack. I don't guess many of you realize that Michigan actually passed the ball 384 times last season? Or that they gained more first downs via the pass than running the ball, or gained 500 yards more in the air than on the ground?

And their QB had 20 rushes this season for -96 yards. Their roster (and history) of drop back passers will be an excellent fit in the spread that RR runs.

I don't think the parallel between Rodriguez and Callahan is there. Doesn't mean that Rich will succeed, I have my doubts about that, but he's also not an arrogant jackass. Unlike Callahan, who was the crown prince of douche baggery.

Allen, you have to get out of your shell and feel more comfortable expressing yourself!

The Big 1(1)0 is slooooooooow. RR will runs circles around them when he gets his players and system installed.

This is false and just a horrible assumption that keeps gettin perpetuated. OSU was not slow. They did however play in a weak conference with a 50 day layoff and got dominated. OSU's receiving core was one of the fastest in the country.

I don't buy all the "style" based arguments. Callahan sucks and was not a proven head coach. Rich Rod is a proven head coach. Michigan always has great talent and he will do well there.

Back