Anyone else having trouble with Hive being sluggish & slow

Techgold

Varsity Lurker
in general moving to posts, refreshing etc. I am not having trouble wi.oth other sites.

Yeah. I posted on the off topic board same thing. I didn't know where to put the post. I've been having trouble as well. Might be amound of traffic because of recruiting season maybe? Just not sure. That's why I asked as well.

This is the reason why:

Most of the site images (inclduding the background image) and the "Daily Buzz" are hosted on the old Hive Server still. The bandwidth for that server is limited. So when too many people are visiting the Hive at the same time, the old server does not answer the requests for all the images.

There is a workaround for this:

If you have access to a web server, place a dummy file called "newsfeed.php" in the root directory.

Next, change your Windows host file (not sure how you do it UNIX any more since I have been brainwashed by Bill Gates) so the www.gojackets.com points to that web server. voila!

I have a laptop that I use 80% of the time. I run a web server on it too for development purposes. So I edited my host file like this:

www.gojackets.com 127.0.0.1

I created a zero byte file called "newsfeed.php" in my web root directory, and voila.... no more hangups.

FYI 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address for your own computer. You would use whatever IP address would be appropriate for your web server.

Hope this helps.

Back